BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Valkyrie base question

Hi,

I played a battle yesterday with my IG and was playing against Ravenwing! I had a Valkyrie and kept it in reserve, the moment i made the reserve roll and wanted to outflank and shoot 2 lascannons in the face of his commander. He said i could only shoot 1 lascannon because the whole model must fit on the table and not just the base! I wasn't in for disscussion so i agreed to shoot 1 lascannon, but i still think its weird! I always mesure everything from the base if it has one.

So my question is do you mesure from the base or model? If its the model that would suck because you will never be able to shoot 2 weapons if you move on the table!

I always go from the base now, as it erases all need of argument and unfairness in figs overlapping the edge of the base.

For tanks and models that do not have a base this gets fairly tricky and I tend to measure from the weapon and not the central hull of the machine.

Battle-Brother

You measure all distances, except those noted, from the hull of a vehicle. See page 56 and 71 of the BRB.

Edit: So, your friend was right in everything he said.
    Last edited by ToBeWilly; 08-19-2011 at 10:56 AM.

Brother-Sergeant

I'm sure in one of the recent FAQ's it said about Stormravens wings can be off the table/over terrain/over other models and it didn't matter - it was the base that counted for placement/terrain tests etc.
    Measuring though should come from the turret/hull/weapon though as previously mentioned
    www.rebelsgrotto.blogspot.com - Go visit, you know you want to!

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by RebelGrot View Post
    I'm sure in one of the recent FAQ's it said about Stormravens wings can be off the table/over terrain/over other models and it didn't matter - it was the base that counted for placement/terrain tests etc.
    Measuring though should come from the turret/hull/weapon though as previously mentioned
    It says nothing about the table edge! I've added all relevant Q & A's.

Q: What part of a skimmer on a large oval flying base
    is used to determine if it is in/on terrain or if it is on
    friendly or enemy models? (p71)

A: Just the base itself.

Q: What happens when a unit arrives from reserves but
    is unable to completely move onto the board? (p94)

A: The unit is destroyed and removed from play.

Q: Can a vehicle that is moving on from reserves
    perform a tank shock? (p68)

A: Yes it can, declare the distance it is going to move
    along with its direction and move the tank onto the
    board that many inches, measuring from the board
    edge as for a normal from reserve. The tank shock is
    performed as usual. However, if the tank is forced to
    stop for any reason before the entire vehicle is on the
    board then the vehicle, and any embarked units, count
    as destroyed and are removed from play.

Q: Are a vehicle’s wings considered to be part of its
    hull? (p60)

A: Yes.

Q: Can models move off the table? (p11)
    A: Not unless a rule or the mission being played clearly
    specify that they can. All good wargamers know that
    the edge of the table is the end of the world!
    (emphasis mine)

Chapter-Master

yes, but there are many other FAQs from GW that allow the model to hang off the edge when moving onto the board. All that matters is that the base completely moves on, but after that, the entire model must be on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    yes, but there are many other FAQs from GW that allow the model to hang off the edge when moving onto the board. All that matters is that the base completely moves on, but after that, the entire model must be on the board.
    Do you have an example of one? ToBeWilly quoted most of the relevant valk/flyer FAQs I could think of, and as is there's no exception to the hull needing to be entirely on the board.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    The base is ignored, except for assault, embarking/disembarking and terrain. They are the only exceptions given. All other measurements must be taken from the hull. Therefore, if any part of the hull is not on the table then the whole model is not on the table, and is destroyed. If you have an FAQ that says otherwise, please share it. I couldn't find one.

Chapter-Master

There was a recent one, I believe it was game of thrones on GW's site. Just look for rules for GW tournaments. They cover bases for Valks/Stormravens/Voidravens/Voidbombers.

[url]http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?catId=&categoryId=300002&section=commu nity&pIndex=19&aId=17400032a&start=20&multiPageMod e=true[/url]

Also note, the lack of allies for witch hunters. I find it interesting that they have essentially dismantled allies. The 2nd half of their codex should be coming next week or so.
    Last edited by Tynskel; 08-19-2011 at 03:56 PM.

Battle-Brother
    Moyeuvre-Grande, Lorraine, France, France

I don't understand :
    _ how you can shoot 2 lascanons from a valkyrie ... then it should be a vendetta ...
    _ if you have 2 lascanons on your valkyrie, why can't you shoot both of them as far as you need to fly only 6" to put the whole base on the board and then you use the FaQ :

Q: What part of a skimmer on a large oval flying base
    is used to determine if it is in/on terrain or if it is on
    friendly or enemy models? (p71)
    A: Just the base itself.

Is the base of the valkyrie in the open field on the table ? Yes, so the whole vehicule is in the open field on the table ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast