BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by relasine View Post
    The Bad:
    • I kept wanting to grab cover at times, but couldn't. When there's a boy with a big shoota' opening up on you from 50 yards away, it seems silly to stand up straight while shooting him with the Stalker Patter Bolter.
    Maybe you should stick to Gears of war if you want cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Sukz Da Nob View Post
    X-Box.

You didnt notice that when you swing a combat knife (for example) you get a light show and trails of "light" as if it is some sort of magical/illuminated weapons?

All weapons produce these sort of visual lighting effects, but it doesnt seem needed imho.

Within the same type of orks they often are skinned exaxctly the same. They could have at lest had the clothing have more color variation, etc.

And when you shoot someone you cause blood to spray and the bodies to fly back and blood to spray excessively, yet with no visual wound on the body. Once the body hits the ground various wounds appear, but their is a visable gap...
    I didn't even know you could use the combat knife in the demo.

The other points seem to be an xbox lack-of-power issue, as they don't exist on the PC version.

Chaplain

The demo is a blast. The jump pack is going to be fun to use in MP.

One little thing I noticed: when you're doing the ultra-mega-over-the-top-bloody-as-hell finishers, you can still be hurt and killed by the enemy. This gets somewhat annoying when you're low health, but then again, I was playing on Normal not Easy and I'm used to God of War where everyone stops slashing you will you rip someone in half with your bare hands. I adapted pretty quick though, it was just a bit unexpected (although it really shouldn't be from a logical perspective).

More kill combos are needed if they are going to be a vital part of the game (recovering health). They might get a bit samey after a while. I wish there was a pistol execution, that would be cool. Kick and Ork in the gut, then blow his brains out with your bolt pistol.

After the demo I'm still pumped for the release, I'm glad I preordered this. I can't wait for co-op.

What I've seen from the MP might be distressing as the Assault class seems a little OP right now. I know, I know, nothing to measure to, blah blah blah, but the fastest class in the game has both a perk that reduces ranged damage (i.e. the safest way to kill them) and a Martyrdom-esque perk that causes the jump pack to explode when the assault dies. You seem to be able to take both at the same time too.

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsnsi5Dt-HQ&feature=feedu"]Source[/URL] (skip to ~7:00 for perks)

I just hope the other classes have equally powerful perks too or else some nerfing will be needed.
    I reject your reality and replace it with my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Gir View Post
    Maybe you should stick to Gears of war if you want cover.
    Cover mechanics aren't even close to exclusive to Gears of War, nor were they the first to use them. Let's name a few:
    • Vanquish
    • Uncharted
    • Grand Theft Auto
    • Mafia
    • Splinter Cell
    • Kill.Switch
    • Mass Effect
    • Dark Sector
    • Metal Gear Solid

It's a realistic and logical mechanic. If you're getting blasted away at long range by heavy fire, you don't stand in the open while trying to shoot them with a sniper rifle, Space Marine or otherwise. I couldn't even kneel to reduce my profile (at least I don't remember being able to - can you kneel?). This is all basic stuff.

The fact is that enough games have cover mechanics at this point that it seems natural to assume that a game like Space Marine should as well. There's a [URL="http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/914/914862p2.html"]good article over at IGN[/URL] about cover from a few years ago that hits a lot of things that come to mind about what makes cover shoots so engaging.

All of this talk about why cover shooters are all the rage these days and I haven't even mentioned the simple fact that cover shooters are simply more real (with regard to tactics) than the twitch shooter alternative. If you were in a battle situation with bullets raining down on your position would you maneuver in between pieces of cover or would you run around like a chicken with your head cut off and hope for the best? That's right, if you're a sane person chances are you're going to be ducking behind cover.

Now a point can certainly be made that Space Marines are bad ***, and they can take a hit or two, but when I was playing the game and getting shot at from long range, I was losing health pretty quick, all the while thinking, "Wow, it'd be pretty nice if I could kneel behind those big crates while I draw the proper weapon and thinking through what I'd like to do next".
    Last edited by relasine; 08-24-2011 at 11:53 PM.

Cover mechanics aren't even close to exclusive to Gears of War, nor were they the first to use them. Let's name a few:
    • Vanquish
    • Uncharted
    • Grand Theft Auto
    • Mafia
    • Splinter Cell
    • Kill.Switch
    • Mass Effect
    • Dark Sector
    • Metal Gear Solid

It's a realistic and logical mechanic. If you're getting blasted away at long range by heavy fire, you don't stand in the open while trying to shoot them with a sniper rifle, Space Marine or otherwise. I couldn't even kneel to reduce my profile (at least I don't remember being able to - can you kneel?). This is all basic stuff.

The fact is that enough games have cover mechanics at this point that it seems natural to assume that a game like Space Marine should as well. There's a [URL="http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/914/914862p2.html"]good article over at IGN[/URL] about cover from a few years ago that hits a lot of things that come to mind about what makes cover shoots so engaging.

All of this talk about why cover shooters are all the rage these days and I haven't even mentioned the simple fact that cover shooters are simply more real (with regard to tactics) than the twitch shooter alternative. If you were in a battle situation with bullets raining down on your position would you maneuver in between pieces of cover or would you run around like a chicken with your head cut off and hope for the best? That's right, if you're a sane person chances are you're going to be ducking behind cover.

Now a point can certainly be made that Space Marines are bad ***, and they can take a hit or two, but when I was playing the game and getting shot at from long range, I was losing health pretty quick, all the while thinking, "Wow, it'd be pretty nice if I could kneel behind those big crates while I draw the proper weapon and thinking through what I'd like to do next".
    Space marines WEAR their cover...

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Sukz Da Nob View Post
    Space marines WEAR their cover...
    This.

This is consistent both with the fluff and what I recall the devs at Relic mentioning at some point as one of their goals with Space Marine.

You don't hug cover because, well, for the most part Space Marines don't need to. Power armour is meant to weather all but the most punishing of weaponry. Marines are meant to stride forward into a hail of oncoming fire, shrugging it off while they retaliate with well-place bolts, relentlessly closing the distance.

Yes, there are instance where they will want cover so as not to be shredded by extremely high-calibre weaponry, etc. But for Marines this is typically the exception rather than the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawauso View Post
    This.

This is consistent both with the fluff and what I recall the devs at Relic mentioning at some point as one of their goals with Space Marine.

You don't hug cover because, well, for the most part Space Marines don't need to. Power armour is meant to weather all but the most punishing of weaponry. Marines are meant to stride forward into a hail of oncoming fire, shrugging it off while they retaliate with well-place bolts, relentlessly closing the distance.

Yes, there are instance where they will want cover so as not to be shredded by extremely high-calibre weaponry, etc. But for Marines this is typically the exception rather than the rule.
    That's a fair point, but if that was meant to be the case they should be taking less damage at range, particularly at higher levels of difficulty.
    Last edited by relasine; 08-25-2011 at 06:57 PM.

Shas'o

That's a fair point, but if that was meant to be the case they should be taking less damage at range, particularly at higher levels of difficulty.
    You don't understand difficulty levels do you? Anyway keep killing orks and you don't have to worry about your health.
    When you do something right people wont be sure that you've done anything at all.

Librarian

I think I am going to enjoy this game as i have played through the demo about 10 times

Oh and regarding cover ..... you should be charging toward the enemy shouting "DIE XENOS SCUM!" not worrying about cover!
    "I Have Become Death the Destroyer of Worlds"

Chapter-Master

Just played it through again, cos other times I missed the power axe.

One thing stands out in particular with it. An execution against a Nob. The marine slices down hard, embeds the axe into the ground, slicing the nobs kneecap off. While the nob reels back in pain, the marine pulls his heart out with his bare hands.

Now that's a marine thing to do!
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Fly Lord

AdamHarry shows off SpaceMarine Multiplayer:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyGoHiykRJY&feature=channel_video_title[/url]
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast