BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Shas'o

I can't wait to cut people up on multiplayer!!!
    When you do something right people wont be sure that you've done anything at all.

I have this game pre-ordered at gamestop. Unfortunately I don't think I will be picking this one up. It is far too rinse and repeat for me. I feel like all I am doing is running around swinging my sword wildly. The game is hard which is a bonus. But honestly the demo did not sell it for me. And I am 40k fanboy. I really enjoyed playing Kill Team with my son. Maybe the multiplayer will be better and more fun. Ah to play chaos vs SM. Time will tell I guess. But so far I give this game a 7 out of 10. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Lykum View Post

This is a game with bomb squigs. Do you really care about gun lighting or realistic wounds after they give you bomb squigs?
    Yes, yes I do.

The game is cool, no doubt.

That does not mean that the demo wasn't rough in certain areas of detail.

Note to fanbois: It is ok/possible to like something and still be able to look at it with a critical eye.

I guess I am going to be an odd man out and think the game needs some work still. I played through each of the demo missions on PC only. The game is pretty. It is a shooter but I really think that is the problem. I only played it in third-person and did not get a chance to see if you can change it to a first-person POV. First-person POV would likely correct my biggest gripe with the game, the camera angle. When wading into a group of Orks, the camera angle often times was off-kilter and all I got to see was the characters face and chest... no idea what was in front of me. The angle did not change around enough nor quickly enough to see the entire fight and then the direction I was trying to face to kill more Orks could not be moved around easily. I think the camera movement, POV, and the CQB movement all need some improvement.

Since I have played several FPS games (the Battlefield and Battlefront franchises, Fire Warrior, CoD, Quake, Doom, etc.) this game is missing some thing. There is just a feel like something is not there. All the shooters I have seen for years have really been more for the multi player than the single player experience, although the Bad Company games have had a fun single player story. This game will likely have a good story. I don't know if there will be any MP or not. I have not looked into it. The giant targeting reticule feels a little odd and makes me feel like accuracy is not so important.

I mostly do my gaming on PC. I have an Xbox 360 for some console games and for my kids but I am a PC gamer. According to the articles I keep reading the PC gamer is a dying breed. That kind of opinion may have something to do with the feel of the game. It feels like it is a console game ported over to PC. I am not sure what it is exactly but it just feels like a console game. Also, I did not notice a jump button. You can do the action hero roll but not jump over a stack of two boxes? Maybe I just missed the button when I looked at the keys.

This is only a demo but the game has gone gold. Some things may be different from this demo and what was released for manufacturing but.... the AI kind of sucks. That is another thing that reminds me of a console game. If you fire a bolt pistol, bolter, or Stalker bolter into a crowd of Orks, they all turn and come after you. If you fire a Vengeance grenade into them, onto them, wherever and blow it up, the Orks ignore you. I did this a few times to see if it were a glitch. It worked each time. I could even hear the Orks saying there was a Space Marine here and comments about a Marine hitting them. And they still stood there with me in plain sight lobbing miniature explosives onto their butts and blowing them up.

Anyway, it looks to be a fun game but it is not on my list to buy, certainly not at full price. I think it may be better suited and designed for the console market. The graphics are really not pushing the envelope in terms of hardware. If the game came out a year ago, it might have made a bit of a splash about being kind of hefty on the hardware side but not so much now. The graphics are also pretty cartoonish. Yes, there is lots of blood from CQB but the Marine's moves are limited to just a handful of movements and the kill animations are also limited and mostly covered up by giant geysers of blood. It reminds me of the fighting games in the mid-late 90's trying to add more blood because it made parents mad and that made it a cool game.

One last thing, all summer long I have heard from people going to conventions and read stuff on the net about how GW's market is children and they despise adults playing their games and have all kinds of condescending and impolite ideas about adults playing their silly kids games. I think Space Marine had a 17+ banner on it. Not so sure I believe all of the stuff from the cons and internetz but 17 is pretty much adulthood. GW should have had some say in the game design and it seems directed at adults or late teens.

If you have a PC with a good graphics card, then you owe it to yourself to get this game on PC. Go buy a wired Xbox 360 controller, then pump up the graphics to 1080p. The game looks WAY BETTER, it puts the Xbox graphics to shame. Also for the people that are ripping on the game for not being like GOW or MW. Its not supposed to be like those games. I talked to the guys from THQ at games day, they were shooting for a whole new experience. I think there only mistake so far was releasing it to close to GOW and the triple AAA title season we go coming up. BTW the demo was limited in kill animations on purpose.

For the Emperor, Beloved by all.

They shall know no fear.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Black Dragon View Post
    . BTW the demo was limited in kill animations on purpose.

Thta is probably some of the best news. I loved the demo, but ran out of executions quick
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

If anyone is intereste din listening/watching 14 minutes of the Space Marine musical score my friend Sam Hayles of [url]www.doseprod.com[/url] put together the official video and you can view it here:

[url]http://youtu.be/hxOV7ijyFqA[/url]

Brother-Captain

Now that this game's been out a little over a day and I'm nearing the end of its single-player campaign...(and I've played about an hour of multiplayer)
    I'd have to say the best word to describe it is 'uneven'.

It's decent, but there are a lot of little things wrong from it. A lot of my enjoyment is coming out of the IP and the novelty of seeing certain 40k aspects come to life in a way that I haven't before.

If this game weren't a W40k product, I don't know that it would stand out much from the crowd.

But it is, and I would definitely recommend it to other 40k players...I think it rates a solid 7 out of 10, in my books.

I know this topic is about the 'demo', but I figured this was as good a place as any to add my thoughts, seeing as the full game's out now.

Anyone else bothered picking it up?

Chapter-Master

Its not out here till Friday
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Chaplain

The game is fun to play and the chainsword is awesome XD, but the camera needs work it can get intirrating in combat. The Jump pack was really fun to use jumping up and crushing some poor ork like a bug, I found the visuals to be nice except the fact that it not very open world and no map for when you get lost, you'd think marines would have a HUD. The guns were not as I expected the bolt pistol is weak and the bolter takes a surprising number of rounds to put down an ork and the stalker will only kill first shot if you hit the head unless it's a grot and who wastes ammo on grot's they make nice chainsword fodder. But overall I found it to be a good game and worth the money.
    Battle Sisters Record 2012 2/0/0
    Empire Record 2012 1/0/3

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast