BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

the jeske,dvs is talking about the previous BA WD codex as opposed to the new shiny book one

I'm trying to hold back untill i've actually played a game with the new army list, but it's hard. I can't see why the codex has been put to print. Other than to sell the models they don't stock any more. The BA dex was a different situation. There was no need for this update. I've lost 400pts out of my army because of the units they have removed. Units that were in the 1st sisters of battle codex. On the verge of having my sisters at 1500 pts i'm back to 1000 with only 2 unit of troops in my army. This is the sort of army destroying thing mr johnston promised they would no longer do. It been a while since g.w. Have got my back up other than the above inflation price rises. why they can't just stick 2-3% on every thing once a year is beyond my understanding, but back to the topic. I really don't see how mr crud's work has helped us. I can live with the loss of assasins inquisitors n all that but 1 troop choice at £40 a go! That's £90 for the minimum force and you still can't play a 500point game. I know the storm troopers where only there because there was no plastic infantry for the army, so why take them out now? Where are the plastics. Still waiting for someone to sign off the capital expenditor? Who in there right mind will start a sisters army now? Expensive, toughness 3, max strengh 8 army anyone? I've got one, I just can't remember deciding to buy it :/

Veteran-Sergeant

It is interesting to see that people are almost surprised that the book is a bland, stripped down version of the previous codex. It is EXACTLY what he did to the last Codex he wrote. It also felt like a bland, stripped down version of the previous one with changes made for no reason and not really that much more competitive then the one before it. He also completely ignoring the issues that actually needed to be fixed. The old Nid codex's problem was Nidzilla and the new one is no different.

Shame that the sisters got the shaft the way they did as there looked like there was so much room to actually flush the army out and streamline their special rules to make them something you will actually see on the battle field. With their boring WD codex, no new units/models and the fact that a regular Sister squad (troops) will cost about $100 Canadain (BEFORE the Rhino) there just seems like there is 100% no reason to collect this army. I have said it before and I will say it again, if I see that Cruddace is the author of any of the armies I play (Tyranids -which are now living in storage -, Eldar, Dark Eldar and Orks) in the future, I am selling the army the moment I find out he is writing it.

Abbess Sanctorum

Quote Originally Posted by AbusePuppy View Post
    The new faith system is simpler
    Nitpicking here... but no... actually... it's not. It's actually MORE complex than the previous system with more stupid crap you need to memorize and more stupid crap that can modify and change and re-roll the results of EVERY SINGLE ASPECT.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    Nitpicking here... but no... actually... it's not. It's actually MORE complex than the previous system with more stupid crap you need to memorize and more stupid crap that can modify and change and re-roll the results of EVERY SINGLE ASPECT.
    Melissia is very right, the old system was much easier than this one. In the old one when you took a Simalicrum Imperialis you rolled 3D6 and took the 2 you wanted which made the over/under nature of AoF very mute. The new system is much more random and relies to heavily on good dice to scale well. First you have to roll a D6 for your Faith points, then you have to roll a D6 to get the AoF to go off, and last if your within 12" of a Laud Hailer (if I remember right) you roll a D6 and if you roll a 6 you get to keep the Faith point. Thats 3D6 for the first squad, and if you have multiple squads within the Laud Hailer then thats an additional 2D6 for each squad.

What should of been done was to leave the way you get Faith points the same (one per Faithful squad and x number for IC/SC). Second they should of left the AoF as a collective pool with all Faithful able to use all AoF. The easiest way to streamline the Faith system would of been to just make them give USRs, Divine Guidance = Rending etc..

IT's more complex if you played a lot of SOB before and had the old way memorised.

If you weren't a hardcore SOB player (I wasn't), it's easier.

So, to nitpick, it's all about your starting perspective.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by faolan View Post
    IT's more complex if you played a lot of SOB before and had the old way memorised.

If you weren't a hardcore SOB player (I wasn't), it's easier.
    Not really. All the Acts of Faith previously took up half a page and were universal (they all applied to every faithful unit). Now, every unit has their own unique act of faith.

++++

Anyway, just looked through the second half of the rules, and IF I go ahead and make a Sisters army, they'll be count-as-space-marines (maybe Black Templars, or else Blood Angels ... Space Wolves at the outside).

I'm also seeing why people don't like Cruddace ... clearly he's a moron.

Last edited by Necron2.0; 08-27-2011 at 12:00 PM.
    Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

I still don't buy the old faith system being easier. Before, units could generally rely on one set of faith skills being either (+/-) a certain size.. Now its a automatic 4+ since every squad comes stock with a superior. 75% if you use similacrum imperialis like the older dex. Not even talking about priests or unit casualties yet. Something tells me the math for the new way would allow better consistency of faith then the old. Just everyone can no longer use every different act. Splitting the acts up between units kinda worked out as most units got to keep the one most useful to them, with a couple other fun ones thrown in for fun in the bargain!

Chapter-Master

I wish you could just take an army of Seraphim...
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Librarian

Played with the new WD codex last night vs CSM's and really enjoyed the new 'dex.
    When I first read the WD I had some reservations, but the more I read and re-read to let it all soak in the more I began to understand the new Sisters.
    Many of our old tricks just won't work anymore. But there are plenty of new ones! My biggest complaint is the Immolator not being able to move 12" and shoot.
    But...Dominions are now Scouts! So 2 melta guns +1 Melta-Combi in an outflanking Immolator works for me! Add in the 12" scout move and you are right up against the Land Raider.

Or how about 4 Retributors with rending Heavy Flamers and either a Rhino or Immolator.

Also Sisters Repentia can now go in a transport (although they cannot buy a dedicated transport). 2 base Attacks plus their Faith ability combined with a priest and/or Canoness is just brutal! Took down a squad with 12CSMs and wounded the Chaos Lord.

Sororitas Command Squad - Faith gives them relentless. Hello 3 Multi-Meltas in a Rhino moving and shooting. Or Move 12", disembark 2". That means you have 26" where you can get into 2d6 Melta range!
    Or perhaps 3 Heavy Bolters that can move and shoot. Make them suicide melta, support hvy bolter, or just a nice support squad. Your choice.

While I probably won't ever take the Seraphim Inferno Pistol, the had flamers are great! So what if their S3! With 2 shots and their Faith allowing you to re-roll wounds...muhahahaha

Seems like you can kit your amy out to be close up and burn 'em or stand back and shoot 'em.

I still don't understand 20pts for a heavy flamer...but oh, well.

I've been playing Sisters since they first came out in 2nd edition. I really like the new codex, though it lacks some flavor and different unit types that I hope the full 'dex will include but in the meantime I think they will provide a semi-competitive list with many build types to keep me occupied. And my opponents guessing.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast