BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    First-Captain

I played my first game with the new sisters, won against nids which was a close game.

I have found out in a 2k game 5 to 6 faith a turn seems to be enough. Most units midgame pass faith +2-4+ making the 20 point upgrade to re roll faith a waste of points.

The seraphim I ran with 2 hand flamers which really tear up infantry units. The re rolling to wound aspect is really nice, so shoot 18 times, and get 20 wounds on a flamer, and if they are still alive assault with 3 attacks a piece at ws 4 and they would not be alive. Celestine works well for the added faith, and close combat support. I put in an eviserator now so it will help out more in combat. Also the re rolling +6 invul save does help the unit out.

I know working on my dominion squads with 4 melta and a plasma pistol. The re rolling to hit can help with that 1 or 2 plasma rolling, and can tear up units like plague marines.

The standard troops rerolling on ones is also nice when rapid firing. It's almost like they have bs 5.

The +6 invulnerable does help. I forgot my vehicles have the invulnerable, but still it help saved a few troops here and there.

Also the Repentia have worked out well too.

I also wanted to point out that a squad of faithful sisters cost 124 pts while in this book it cost 125 pts. If you take a flamer and melta the squads cost the same. If you throw in a rhino you paying 18 points more in the old book. With the new dex for 18 points less you're getting re rolling on one's, the abilty to re group, frag, krak, and a +6 invulnerable. The squad can now take out low armour vehicles with the krak grenades. My main complaint is that they can not take an Eviscerator.
    Last edited by chicop76; 09-03-2011 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chicop76 View Post
    I also wanted to point out that a squad of faithful sisters cost 124 pts while in this book it cost 125 pts. If you take a flamer and melta the squads cost the same. If you throw in a rhino you paying 18 points more in the old book. With the new dex for 18 points less you're getting re rolling on one's, the abilty to re group, frag, krak, and a +6 invulnerable. The squad can now take out low armour vehicles with the krak grenades. My main complaint is that they can not take an Eviscerator.

Veteran-Sergeant

Its simple:

If you like the fluff, models and enjoy to play the game, you can take sisters. If you just play to win and only look at rules, don't play sisters! In my opinion sisters can work, eventualy you'll find tactics and sisters are playable.

Chapter-Master

Sisters have about 1 or 2 lists that can do ok (but really only ok). Take Celestine and Uriah, max out on Exorcists, Retributors, Seraphim and Dominions, take some DCA/Repentia for counter assault, and spend the rest of your points on Sisters. Thats about it.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Sisters have about 1 or 2 lists that can do ok (but really only ok). Take Celestine and Uriah, max out on Exorcists, Retributors, Seraphim and Dominions, take some DCA/Repentia for counter assault, and spend the rest of your points on Sisters. Thats about it.
    Yup. That is pretty much your only options whith rhinos thrown in.

Brother-Captain

That's not surprising considering how shallow the codex is. Every codex has a few duds, but when your entire codex is ~8 pages, it means you're limited to a very small list of viable units. No wonder they have few real options for balanced army lists.

Chapter-Master

Right, a quality codex should have at least 2 "good" units per force org category, preferably 3, and these units should have multiple quality loadouts. Sisters have 2 good units in HQ, FA and HS, and maybe 2 good Elite choices, no truly good troop choices (not that battle sisters are bad, really, they're just not good), and each of the aformentioned units fall into very similar roles. Aside from Celestine, Exorcists and Seraphim, everything drives forward to rapid fire/melta/flamer stuff. There aren't a whole lot of tactical tools since everything does basically the same thing. Dominions scouting is about the trickiest thing you can do, and while that's a good option it's not a game-winner usually.

I mean, look at the GK codex. With the exception of one of the Special Characters (valeria), every single unit can be fit into a competitive list. There are a few units that are kinda meh, like Dreadknights, Storm Ravens, a couple HQs and Land Raiders, but literally everything else is a very solid unit with multiple possible loadouts. There are a dozen different general approaches to creating a viable competitive list, and each of those approaches has a lot of room for variability and customization. The GK codex has very, very good internal balance.

Compare that to the Sister's codex, and it's really pretty sad.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Abbess Sanctorum

Sisters have 2 good units in HQ, FA and HS, and maybe 2 good Elite choices, no truly good troop choices (not that battle sisters are bad, really, they're just not good)
    Nnnnot really? For HQ, our only good choices are special characters. For fast attack, I'd say that it's pretty much only dominions that really hold their own, seraphim just don't do a very good job at being jump pack troops. For Elites, yeah, repentia got better, but they're still not actually very GOOD, they can be easily taken out by any horde army, they're really essentially just an anti-deathstar unit, and not even that excellent of one as they only strike at S6 (and only one attack if they use their act of faith). Really, only the DCA/Crusader/Arcos qualify as a really good choice there. And for heavy support, as usual, nothing really competes with the Exorcist in the list, it STILL contains effectively our only long-ranged anti-tank.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Chapter-Master

That's why I said maybe 2 elites, DCA are good and Repentia are... kinda sorta good. HQ has Celestine and Uriah, FA has Seraphim and Dominions (even with the hit and run nerf, Seraphim were so amazing and are so much cheaper now that I can't believe that they aren't a good unit), and Exorcists and Retributors (even if you'll probably max out Exorcists).

Chaplain

The Seraphim in my opinion are worth taking in my opinion, I use them as my counterattack squad and run them with Celestine. As a jump troop I don't see how their not good, for one thing a battle sister is not a space marine they've always been Str 3, T 3, Ws 4, so their stats didn't plummet, the pistols rule gives them more fire power at short range then most jump squads and at 15 points each they dropped 7 points in cost. My unit only costs 190 points and is 9 seraphim, with 2 sets of handflamers and a sister superior with powersword, against vehicles they can't do much as they only have krak grenades but against an infantry unit their awesome. I have a question about the flamers thou, does the pistols rule apply to them? Do they fire as two seperate temples thus double the number of hits, do they count as twin-linked? I've been using them as two seperate but I feel this might be wrong and I'd really like to know.
    Battle Sisters Record 2012 2/0/0
    Empire Record 2012 1/0/3

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast