BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking Be afraid, GW will raid your house!

Posted up on a forum for modern historical games I frequent:

Baz Baziah wrote:
    Was in the local Games Workshop store picking up yet more Delvan Mud when I got pounced on by the "helpful" member of staff bombarding me with questions...

"Can I help you?"
    No, but thanks for asking
    "Are you new to the hobby?"
    No, I think I was wargaming and playing RPG's before your parents met...
    "What armies do you have, do you play Fantasy or 40k?"
    I've got more armies than I care to list
    "Oh, so you have them all then?"
    Not quite, I do fancy a cold war US/Brit force but money is tight
    "Do you play our games?"
    I said, no but I did have a number of GW figures that I planned to use with Tomorrows War. After a blank look from boy wonder he asked what "Tomorrows War" was. I spent a few minutes telling him about AA FoF and TW in general and how they all could be used for almost all periods when I was stopped and told...

"Ermm, I will have to check with the manager but I don't think you would be allowed to use our figures with another set of rules. Its not allowed."

Really?

"Yes, our IP rules forbid it. You can't use them for anthing other than the GW games they were created for."

Oh dear, its a good job he didn't ask for my address isn't it? At this point I gave him his Delvan mud back and left!!!

Whats next, you can only use GW paint on GW figures?
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Adeptus Custodes

I was once told I couldn't use GW paints on GW figures.

Specifically I couldn't paint necromundan escher models in a GW store, because people might ask the workers there questions about them they couldn't answer, and that would reflect badly on GW. I personally think not being allowed to paint the models in the shop I ordered them from reflects more badly on GW but there you go.

IP law prevents nothing of that sort. Did you sign a contract which specified the uses you could put the models to when you bought them? I very much doubt it.
    Last edited by Grailkeeper; 08-28-2011 at 02:38 PM.
    More Necromunda please.

Chapter-Master

As long as you buy the stuff, don't try and copy it for profit, and don't try to claim it as your own modeling work you can do whatever you want with your minis. That GW employee doesn't know what he's talking about.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Fly Lord

HA!

This is why the lad is working in a GW retail store, instead of attending lawschool.
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Librarian

Or any school.
    Touched by His Noodly Appendage

Then sadly people go thinking this is some kind of official GW policy instead of the rantings of a few idiot staff. Thank god this isn't Warseer or we would be at five pages of whining about official GW policy and how it is dragging down the global economy.

I had a staff member tell me I couldn't play in the store because I was a girl and would distract the other players. I wasn't even in the store to play. I have a games club for that.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigred View Post
    HA!

This is why the lad is working in a GW retail store, instead of attending lawschool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hive Mind View Post
    Or any school.

I think they must be cloning them in the back room now, not even the English comprehensive school system could produce this level of stupidity
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Brother-Captain

thank God for flgs!

I have never had or seem anything of the like ever occur at my local independent gaming store. Well I've never seen anything like that ever!
    Crap my club has a nice free/open gaming room, stays open even after the store closes - they don't care what you play, they don't even care if you bought it at the store.
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    I had a staff member tell me I couldn't play in the store because I was a girl and would distract the other players.
    Actually, what you're not telling us is at the time you were dressed for Carnival (Brazilian, that is).

Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    I had a staff member tell me I couldn't play in the store because I was a girl and would distract the other players. I wasn't even in the store to play. I have a games club for that.
    Couldn't you sue for sexual discrimination at that point?
    I'm thinking it'd probably turn out more like Daleks playing Quiddich. "It is the Potter!! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! " (someone I know on twitter)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast