BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sang Guard

Brother-Sergeant

Default Sang Guard

I'm starting a new army and I picked the Blood Angels because of the look of their Sanguinary Guard models, the whole avenging angel look I really like. I know that they aren't a hammer unit like they were intended but I think with my track record with my eldar will help me out in using them properly. So I am thinking three units with Dante and Sang Priests backed by assault squads and a Storm Raven would make up a solid list. Any kind of tactics or any experience or ideas would help a bunch.

Sang Guard are a really fun, beautiful, and reasonably hard-hitting unit when backed by a priest. I find that their cost is obviously on the pricey side, but when matched against proper enemies, they can be a real pain. They'll walk through combat squads without a fist, but you really need to be cautious about those units with a fist. Losing a guy or two a turn is really painful as you try and dice through a hidden power fist.

Take advantage of their speed and make sure to use their shooting when appropriate as they can put out some pretty nice shooting. If you're worried about people breaking, try to position yourself after jumping over the enemy where if the enemy breaks, they'll still run in your direction, though try to avoid you. This should enable you to still get a charge.

I would include a fist in every squad and the banner is beautiful while also providing a huge boost in combat potential.

Nonetheless, you still need to worry about all the same stuff that any BA is concerned about: I6 hammer-handed halberd attacks, plasma, etc. Of course, be wary about jumping into terrain as your armour save and FNP provide nothing on those failed dangerous terrain tests.

Chapter-Master

the guy over at the vanus temple (google it) did a rather neat army, and whilst a all sang army can be effictive there is a few things you need to keep in mind
    - tanks: either take a dread for tank killing or the simple route of as many melta pistols and fists as necessery
    - priests, banners and dante: use these wisely, using thebanners to bolster CC, priests resiliance and dante for awsomeness !
    - priests: you need them
    - did i say priests?

-fuzz

p.s. did i mention priests are super important!?
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Sang Guard are best run as an all-or-nothing proposition; either take Dante and focus on them, or don't bother. Generally you'll want Dante himself, a Command Squad full of Melta/Flamers to DS in with the big man (they can get more concentration of guns than SG can, which is important), ~2 Sanguinary Priests with Jump Packs to accompany the SG, and 3-4 squads of SG themselves, with one Power Fist and two Infernus Pistols in each squad.

From there you can look at adding support units- since you should be starting on the board, not Deep Striking (except for Danta & Co.), Missile Devastators are an excellent option and help with a lot of your problems; you may want to consider running a foot Priest with them as well. Adding more SG bodies is another good choice- beyond your initial three-ish squads, it can be safe to run them without the Infernus and/or PFist, depending on the rest of your list. If you go for vehicles, you will generally want AV12+ targets to ensure that they aren't just eating up guns that would be useless against the SG; AV13 from Predators is ideal here, so a good AutoLas or Dakka Pred can add a lot to the list.

I don't feel running regular Assault Squads helps much, and in fact detracts from your strategy of having 2+ FNP models; once you give the enemy a good target for his AP3 guns, much of the benefit is lost. You also don't really want a lot of DSing units, as you're relying on putting a ton of tough dudes on the board and rushing the enemy- having things sitting in reserve doing nothing detracts from the number of targets they have to shoot.

Brother-Sergeant

So running all sang guard with Dante is that a good list to bring to a tournament? I am playing BA as well and I want to get a couple of list together to change it up.
    Record 2012 8-8-3 Blood Angels:
    "If you get close to Mephiston he will give you Death by Roo Roo!"

Chapter-Master

A 100% Sang Guard list could potentially have problems with hordes and AV 13+ (though infernus pistols should do the trick with a DoA drop.

www.queencityguard.com

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by A Barb View Post
    So running all sang guard with Dante is that a good list to bring to a tournament? I am playing BA as well and I want to get a couple of list together to change it up.
    Its is a feast or famine list if you know what I mean. If you want a really flashy army with power weapons and 2+ saves, go for it. It gives you the chance as a player to do more with less and can be fun to play. But do not bring it to any tourny type event and expect to win unless you are well practiced with it. So many armies can over power it and alot of things can go wrong mission wise.
    Your Codex is only great until the next one is released.....

Brother-Sergeant

So I have been knocking around some ideas in my head and talking to some people that have ran sanguinary guard lists. I have come to the conclusion similar to abuse puppy and angel's, all or nothing. Hit and run tactics will be essential harassing enemy units. Due to the guards low squad capacity but hard as nails hitting power, playing them in cover and choosing my targets will be critical. To add some fire support I am gonna include two squads of sniper scouts with cloaks providing long range fire and some survivability with 3+ cover save in terrain. As fuzzbucket said priests are critical for fnp and furious charge, two jump pack priests travel up with two sang squads in cover. I also want to include a Storm Raven into the equation armed with a muti-melta and an assault cannon to haul around Dante and a sang squad with a banner to hit like a ton of bricks. To top everything off I think a furioso with blood talons coupled with an av13 to tar pit hordes and all around take care of business. It seems solid in theory and I know if played right it will hit like a friggin hammer, however if I make one mistake it will fold like paper.

Brother-Sergeant

When you play the Stormraven keep it moving more then 12" this way you get a cover save. The Furioso would be a good thing to add. I have had good luck with the Furioso doing the job with hordes!
    Record 2012 8-8-3 Blood Angels:
    "If you get close to Mephiston he will give you Death by Roo Roo!"

Librarian

5 sang guard with banner, Dante and Sanginor near by throws out more power weapon attacks then should be legal (Dante gets 7-8 on the charge from memory, and each guard gets 5).

It's damn expensive and is scared of plasma, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast