53 61.63%
  • Fluff, background and secret lore

42 48.84%
  • Meeting people and have fun

35 40.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

While each of the points apply in one way or another, I'm a social gamer at heart, and would rather be playing a game that is face to face with someone else than to go to a bar or anonymously play on-line.

SJ

Brother-Sergeant

I picked the fluff because that is what got me into the hobby... I am really liking the modeling and painint part at the moment. Really I am brand new to the game and I am still working on my first armies... I don't have much experience playing, because I can't seem to find a game in the area I live, and I don't want to show up at a shop game with grey men...
    But I do love the depth of the fluff.
    When there is no peril in the fight there is no glory in the triumph. Pierre Corneille(M2)

I picked the modeling and painting (really, more of the former than the latter). But this was a hard choice.
    After all, it was the narrative dimension of the hobby that first drew me in. I do think that it is the unique, ineffable vibe of that "grim distance of the far future" that distinguishes 40k from other games/hobbies.
    I came in not expecting hoping that a playable game would be a bonus, and having no expectations about the painting and modeling side of things (since I'd never done anything similar before). But to my surprise, it's been the modeling, recently, that's given me the most pleasure.

Chapter-Master

I have to say the main reason is the tactics and strategy of the game. I enjoy challenging games of 40k more than most of the casual games I've played. Second is probably hanging out with friends.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoil View Post
    I picked the modeling and painting (really, more of the former than the latter). But this was a hard choice.
    After all, it was the narrative dimension of the hobby that first drew me in. I do think that it is the unique, ineffable vibe of that "grim distance of the far future" that distinguishes 40k from other games/hobbies.
    I came in not expecting hoping that a playable game would be a bonus, and having no expectations about the painting and modeling side of things (since I'd never done anything similar before). But to my surprise, it's been the modeling, recently, that's given me the most pleasure.
    I have to agree with you there.

When I first got into 40k (which wasn't that long ago, really) it never occured to me that eventually I'd end up spending so much of my time on the assembly side of things. It's also been rather exciting seeing others so enthused with that same aspect of the game.

I love seeing other's hard worked models; there's always a bit of inspirationg to take away.

Veteran-Sergeant

Seriously, I can't help myself - it's like plastic crack.

Since the grim darkness of 1990, there has been only war.

I'm not a classical geek - I'm a married, 27 year old civil litigation advocate but I cannot get enough of the 40k goodness - I read all of the books, have five armies on the trot and surf 40k forums on a daily basis. I even calculate the value of other commodities by reference to GW products, i.e. that coat is the equivalent to five chimeras from Gifts for Geeks. It is not healthly.

My wife hates my hobby 'the pointless, plastic, painted people.' I have to take elaborate steps to secretly sit down to paint or sneek off to a GW store while shopping wih her. I am terrified that my colleagues will learn about my hobby (they tend to prefer skiing etc). My brother and family mock me endlessly but quite frankly- it doesn't make a difference. Perhaps Jervis puts industrial nicotine into the plastic?

Brother-Sergeant

I'm not a classical geek either, i am a school cook, hehe

Cash in Transit Guard, you can call me a geek, but you better be able to run fast! lol
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Mostly for painting and modeling, since sometimes it's the only thing that keeps me sane, but I also like playing the game, because of the strange stuff that can happen.

if i wanted to meet people i would just stalk them out in my van... but he truth is that the game to me is about the hyp on the models. i love converting and painting and as time goes by i get better and that only adds to the excitment. but dont get me wrong i love playing the game and the story behind the whole thing matters a ton to me. i cant play an army if it does not have a good story behind it, or at least something i can bend.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast