BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lucky Escape!

Default Lucky Escape!

So, I'm driving home from work this afternoon after getting off early, I'm driving up North Street thinking "Great, I'll get lots done when I get home" when a flat above a shop 10 feet in front of the car literally explodes! Glass and bits of furniture fly across the road and hit the Guildhall Shopping centre opposite, slam on the breaks and bail out, 5 seconds later and I would have had half a ton of ballistic debris through my open window and probably no face. A coach is just turning into the road and I flag it down, I explain what's happening and set about backing him up, I then start to direct traffic away from the area. 5 mins later Police start to arrive and the first Fire engine, my cars in the middle of the road so I leg it to the car and pull it on the curb.

After about an hour a Traffic Policeman approaches me and asks "Is that your car?" "Yes" I reply, he says "Your front tires......, today please" and gives me a meaningful look. "OK I say, no problem". I am then there for a further 2 hours because my car is part of the "scene" and then off to Mid Devon Tires where £106 later I have two new tires.

Being public spirited is not all its cracked up to be............................
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

I'm glad you still have a face Aldy.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

I'm confused about the tires. What happened with the tires?

www.queencityguard.com

I think hthe policeman made him buy new ones, probably because the old ones were too worn. Under the circumstances a 'you need to change those tires soon' would have been more fitting.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    I think hthe policeman made him buy new ones, probably because the old ones were too worn. Under the circumstances a 'you need to change those tires soon' would have been more fitting.
    If they were at the limit fair enough, but if they were below the limit he could have got 3points per tyre....

lucky day more ways than one?

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

First-Captain

I now it's a bugger but whenever there is a situation to do a good turn and help out we should take it. I think you did good.
    What if one of those tyres was in fact ready to blow and this saved you form a future problem? I think you will have karma on your side.

Chapter-Master

Wait, what? In the UK the 5-0 can make you change your tires?

www.queencityguard.com

Oooooh yes. If a traffic Police Officer (they wear white hats here) tells you to go buy some new tyres, you best not argue.

Personally I think they were worn but not illegal, hey ho.
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by wittdooley View Post
    Wait, what? In the UK the 5-0 can make you change your tires?
    Every time I think, you know the UK might be a cool place to live I hear about how oppressive your traffic laws are and just go back to thinking...'well maybe Canada some day'

So just to back up a second - why the flat/apartment explode?
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

What cracks me up is that in the middle of all that mayhem, Firefighters rushing around, glass everywhere, traffic chaos (this is on one of the busiest junctions in the city) is it gas? a bomb? etc.. etc.. This guy has time to check my tires?

And you can bet if he did that he checked my Tax, MOT and insurance too....................................

Cause of explosion was thought to be Gas, but that got discounted as there wouldn't have been a building, my car or me left. Still none the wiser.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast