BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Mordrak and "First to the Fray"

According to the Grey Knight Codex, Grand Master Mordrak is considered an "upgrade character", if he has his Ghostly Bodyguard.

According to the BRB pg. 47, an "[I]upgrade character[/I]" is likened to that of a Space Marine sergeant.

So, if you take Grand Master Mordrak with Ghost Knights, would you be able to attach an Independent character to this unit and deploy with them using Mordrak's "First to the Fray"? Say, adding a Librarian with Terminator Armor?
    Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen.

Chapter-Master

Uh, yeah. Mordrack being an upgrade character isn't even relevant to that. The Ghost Knights are a unit, thus an Independent Character may join them. Mordrack just happens to be their squad leader.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Have had this conversation with a few people, and they were in the camp that because Mordrak didn't have IC status, he was unable to have another IC join him, either with or without the Ghost Knights.

That makes sense that if he was alone that an IC couldn't join him, but as posted, my thing was verifying my point that an IC could be attached if Ghost Knights were taken.

If this is a good idea, what are your opinions on taking a Libby to grant a 3+ cover to the Knights, and then using Summoning to bring something up. If you attach a Libby with Mordrak, and they arrive the 1st turn, can the Libby use Summoning to summon something that 1st turn, or does he have to wait till turn 2 since Summoning says its used "at the beginning of the Librarians Movement phase"?

Chapter-Master

yes a IC cna join a unit, any unit. if the other unit has a IC it dosnt matte.

-fuzz
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by YourMomsBox View Post
    Have had this conversation with a few people, and they were in the camp that because Mordrak didn't have IC status, he was unable to have another IC join him, either with or without the Ghost Knights.

That makes sense that if he was alone that an IC couldn't join him, but as posted, my thing was verifying my point that an IC could be attached if Ghost Knights were taken.

If this is a good idea, what are your opinions on taking a Libby to grant a 3+ cover to the Knights, and then using Summoning to bring something up. If you attach a Libby with Mordrak, and they arrive the 1st turn, can the Libby use Summoning to summon something that 1st turn, or does he have to wait till turn 2 since Summoning says its used "at the beginning of the Librarians Movement phase"?
    Mordrak is a character, he also can be part of his Ghost Knights.
    Mordrak is not always a unit of a single model.
    Therefore there is no reason that Mordark cannot be joined by an IC.
    IC's can join any unit as long as it is not a vehicle or a unit that is always a single model.

Attaching a Libby to put them in warp rift or vortex of doom range is a good idea (as he is in terminator armour he is relentless and can therefore deep strike and bam the vortex on a squad) but the Ghost Knights have the stealth USR anyway so Shrouding won't be needed!

Chapter-Master

Reread the rules. As seattledv8 mentioned, being an upgrade character is irrelevant. To take your friend's conclusion to the logical extreme, an IC could only ever join another unit if it also had the IC special rule, or contained multiple models. So why can an IC join a unit of Paladins or Carnifex with only a single model in them? Reductio ad absurdum.

The only restriction on what units ICs can join are the following: 1) the unit always consists of a single model (which Mordrack clearly isn't one of these), and 2) units that have a special rule barring ICs from joining (which Mordrack similarly isn't). Since neither restriction applies, the Librarian can join Mordrack's unit, even if it only contains Mordrack himself.

On a side note, Crowe is a different story as he is always a single model unit.

Wait till turn 2. Same thing with Eldar psychic powers. They're used at the beginning of the movement phase, and can't be used that turn if the Farseer has just arrived from reserves. I'm not sure if that's an actual FAQ ruling, though, you'd have to check.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by The Twilight Fade View Post
    Attaching a Libby to put them in warp rift or vortex of doom range is a good idea (as he is in terminator armour he is relentless and can therefore deep strike and bam the vortex on a squad) but the Ghost Knights have the stealth USR anyway so Shrouding won't be needed!
    Vortex of doom might not be such a good idea as its a small blast and has the risk of taking out a lot of your squad if the libby whiffs the roll.

Warp rift is a much better idea as that guarantees a penetrating hit against all armor, so is much better than S10 AP1, as unless you are shooting at rear armor, even that can fail to pen.

What more, with a template, you are much more likely to hit more bodies and/or tanks than a single small blast.

Well why not use both!! He's mastery level two as standard. Lots of the other defensive powers are used during their turn anyway so you can use them both
    Tbh I thought for some reason VoD was a large blast but never mind, it has a 90% chance or so of succeeding so I think I would always use them both if I went with this combo!

Quote Originally Posted by The Twilight Fade View Post
    Well why not use both!! He's mastery level two as standard. Lots of the other defensive powers are used during their turn anyway so you can use them both
    Tbh I thought for some reason VoD was a large blast but never mind, it has a 90% chance or so of succeeding so I think I would always use them both if I went with this combo!
    He can only use one Psychic Shooting Attack in the Shooting phase, otherwise that would be great. Also, thanks for the heads up on the Shrouding. don't know why I thought 'Stealths' could stack.

seattledv8 and DarkLink, thanks for the clarification.

Regarding the Libby's arriving using Mordraks "First to the Fray", and him using his Summoning power; I scoured the BRB, its FAQ, and the Grey Knight FAQ, and it makes no reference to this.

Using "First to the Fray", it says "Mordrak and any unit he accompanies will arrive in your first turn..."

Summoning makes reference to being used "...at the beginning of the Librarians Movement phase". It doesn't state the beginning of the Grey Knight's Movement phase, it says Librarian's Movement phase.

So when is the beginning of the Librarian's Movement phase? Is it the 1st thing you do in the Movement phase, or is it after Mordrak's unit arrives with "First to the Fray"?

Summoning makes no statement that you can't move and use the power, it simply states that its down at the beginning of the Movement phase. So if Mordraks' unit arriving 1st turn is the first thing you can do, I see no reason why you can't Summon another unit afterwards.

What's your take?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast