BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Chaplain

Black Templar assault termies with lightning claws are pretty mean dudes. I prefer to dispense with thunder hammers entirely though. I want all my hits going at once with these guys. None of that powerfist-thunder hammer swinging last stuff. This way my squad can tear through enemies quickly and brutally. Since termies in their codex still can buy veteran skills I give them furious charge. Being Templars they get to be fearless in an assault. And being in terminator armor makes righteous zeal more fun. I've always interpreted the 25 percent casualties as meaning any wound counts. I assume this means you don't have to fail a saving throw for it to count. Any wound saved or not counts. So being in that nice armor means they can be shot and likely survive. And then pissed off and go all righteous zeal towards the nearest enemy. Even if a lose a couple the lightning claws, tough armor, and sheer meanness of my Templars ensures they'll mangle whoever they assault. And if my vow is Accept Any Challenge, No Matter the Odds it makes them even nastier.

As for popping tanks I have plenty of other ways to that. I have another squad of shooty termies. Between the assault cannon, cyclone missile launcher, powefists and chain fists they can kill a tank. Or one of my other units will do it. Leaving my assault fellows free to mince troops.
    The Eye of Skreebo is upon ye. Skreebo expects.

it really depends on what army, style, and opponents you will play. Thunder Hammer Terminators are perfect for general destruction, with a high resistance to low AP fire, their good to soak up the shots or deal with an enemy unit that is advancing that has abnormally high T, power weapons, initiative, etc.

LC's are perfect for a scalpel , eliminating the opponent's troop choices, but lacking survivability in comparison to the TH/SS termies. Its good not to 'advertise' their locations on the battle field and avoid footslogging them in the open. The aim is often to surgically remove valuable, weaker scoring units from the game while allowing the majority of your army to focus on the enemy's stronger forces.

Hammernators all day, every day. Blood Angels can mix up some LC in there too, but for Vanilla marines, nothing beats TH/SS.

Don`t forget about the grenades: LC termies assaulting into difficult terrain without a Land Raider or Stormraven have their I reduced to 1.
    If you want to walk everywhere with your terminators you should take as much TH/SS as possible.
    Still i`ll consider at least 1 LC as a wound sink

Battle-Brother

In my old SM army I used to run 1 LC and 4 Th and it was very good. I would sometimes add a Librarian in TA and a SS which added a lot to the unit. I would walk them a lot and use gate of infinity to get them around the board.

I dislike gating them round as it means they cannot assualt that round, although it has the added benefit of drawing 90% of your opponents fire where ever you teleport them lol. I Prefer my termiantor pure TH & SS, or 1-2 lightning claws if vulkan doesn't make the party, although this is mainly because I have Brother Claudio from spacehulk, and like to use him
    Last edited by Brother Dvorn; 03-18-2012 at 12:49 AM. Reason: my terrible spelling

I've found most of the time your going to be playing folks with a higher initiative - either getting assaulted by a melee specific HQ or like blood angels with furious charge. I like having the3+ Defense and the insta-gib on toughness 4 or lower.

.. i also run Vulkan enough though to make it double worth it.. that mastercraft is bad news..for the bad guys..

.. oh.. I'm spoiled too though.. I feel like a 5+ isn't the best... I believe I've heard the term..hot garbage before...
    Last edited by nimrod451; 03-19-2012 at 12:50 AM. Reason: edited for clarification..

With my BA army I tend to use either 4x TH/SS and 1xLC termies in a LR or SR. Or in my jump list it double to 8/2.

Battle-Brother

depends on the flavor of marine. templars = all claws, Blood Angels = mix, Vanilla marines = all th/ss, Dark angels = whatever floats your boat as long as you take cyclones, Space wolves = don't, to expensive.

Scout

I have to agree with Gwensdad. It really depends on who you are fighting. Lower initiative opponents should get some LCs against them. For a tourney list, ask yourself what their purpose might be.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast