BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Thread: Mordrak 2000

Question Mordrak 2000

After some clarifying of Mordraks rules, I was trying to put together a 2000 pt. list against Space Wolves. My opponent usually runs 2-3 Long Fang squads with Missile Launcher, Logan, 1-2 Rune Priests with Living Lightning and/or Jaws, and some Land Speeders with Multi-meltas, and some Wolf Guard with Combi-Plasmas.

Thats said I was thinking of this:

HQ

Mordrak with 5 Ghost Knights
    • Brotherhood Banner
    • 4 Halberds

Librarian w/ Halberd
    • Might
    • Sanctuary
    • Shrouding
    • Summoning
    • Warp Rift

Elites

Vindicare Assassin

Techmarine w/ Psychotroke Grenades, Rad Grenades

8 Paladins
    • 1 Brotherhood banner
    • 2 Psycannons
    • 1 MC Nemesis Daemonhammer
    • 4 Force Halberds

Troops

5 Man Squad of Grey Knight Strike Squad w/ Psycannon

5 Man Squad of Grey Knight Strike Squad w/ Psycannon

Heavy

Land Raider Redeemer
    • Multi-melta
    • 2x Flamestorm Cannons w/ Psyflame Ammunition
    • Twin-Linked Assault Cannon
    • Warp Stabilization Field

Dreadnought
    • Twin-Linked Autocannon
    • Twin-Linked Autocannon
    • Psybolt Ammunition

The idea is this. Mordrak, the Ghost Knights and the Libby Arrive 1st Turn and shoot up a Long Fang Squad, or some Land Speeders if they're around.

Vindicare shoots any major armor threat (i.e. Land Raider, AV 14 Building with troops) if there, or else takes away Logans Invulnerable.

Dreadnought hits any Land Speeders or Rhinos if there, otherwise he's just harassing someone.

Land Raider with Paladins and Techmarine start on the board in cover somewhere.

Turn 2 Libby Summons the Land Raider near him, and the Raider pops his melta at nearby mech, and Flamestorms anything in range. Paladins jump out and shoot their Psycannons at nearby threats, or could stay in the Raider if Plasma weapons are around for survivability.

Mordrak and his unit continue to shoot nearby threats if necessary, or moves and gets within charge range of any nuisance.

Vindicare and Dreadnought continue to do their thing.

Turn 3 Paladins disembark if they haven't already done so, then move and shoot nearby Wolf Guard, or other major threat. With the Techmarine and his grenades, they should destroy whatever they assault.

The 2 Strike Squads should be down by now, and can sit on the flanks popping shots with their bolters and Psycannon at small targets, or bogging down bigger units, until they can be hit by your Paladins.

************************************************** *******************************

It's a different list than what I am accustomed to, and would love any input you might have.

Thanks for taking the time to read and voice your thoughts.
    Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen.

Chapter-Master

Biggest problem I see is you only have 2 weak scoring units. The Grand Strategy can mitigate this a little bit, but you will be hurting in objective games. Between Mordrack, the Librarian, the Vindicare, the Land Raider and the Techmarine you're spending almost half of your points. That's too much. You need some more bodies. Mordrack's squad plus the Paladins is a start, but drop something and get more bodies. Since you've got a lot of Terminator/Paladins, I'd go with that and upgrade the Strike Squads to Terminator squads if at all possible.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Also the Redeemer can only carry six paladins so it'll have to be a crusader to carry them all and the tech marine wouldn't be able to fit with them either so he will just kinda be left on his own.

Consider dropping the tech marine and vindicare for more strikes or termies even though you have grand strategy to make the paladins/dreadnought scoring its always nice to have more scoring bodies and you can never go wrong with more psycannons!
    Last edited by The Twilight Fade; 09-02-2011 at 02:49 PM.

Chapter-Master

yeah ive been tinkering with a similar idea but some notes to make it work smoother

1) the libby can summon on turn 1. if you summon on turn 2 this means the enemy will have most of his guns within range of your libby

2) swap the paladins halbards for either swords or falchions, and if using falchions put the banner on a psycannon guy.

3) drop the techmarine and spend the points on either more power armour or a terminator squad.

4) have you considered puting warp fields on the dread. enableing it to be whisked away from those nasty power fists

5) get a servo skull or two, because who wnats the 750+ points of paladins/land raider to get a mishap

but still i cant wait to see what you can do with this, i have been tinkering with a 1500 verison of this list since the dex came out! :P ( still havent finished painting the models though :P)

-fuzz
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Question

Darklink,

typically my opponent and I are hard pressed to play games due to our schedules; which we usually choose Annhilation for simplicity. This takes away the Objective worry, and allows us to try out new strategies with the "fun" units.

Twilight,

Good point on the Redeemer, change it to a Redeemer. Dropping to 7 Paladins and keeping the Techmarine would work fine. The Rad and Psychotroke grenades are really game changers, and play huge mind games with my opponent.

I'd be more willing to lose the Dreadnought. 1 Pally and some a few Ghost Knights and their Banner if I need to add some more termies or something. As long as I have at least 1 Ghost Knight, I'm good. Losing those, gives me about 375 points to play with.

Could take two 5 man Purgation squads, each with 4 Psycannons, and Scout either one or both of them with Grand Strategy. Maybe a kitted out Interceptor squad with 2 Psycannons, then Combat Squad them, one shooty squad and one CC. Have them drop in close by if I add some Servo Skulls. Or even a Termie squad with Thawn equipped with whatever the need is.

Just some ideas. Appreciate the feedback. What do you think?
    Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen.

Chapter-Master

Ok, then that's not a problem at all.

Incidentally, I'd keep the Dreadnought over the Vindicare. The vindicare is too easy for your opponent to pick off with a handful of stray shots, whereas the Dreadnought can shrug off most enemy fire for at least a couple more turns. You won't get to steal Logan's invulnerable save, but you'll take out a Landspeeder a turn with it.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.