BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Default Penitent engines - RAW vs RAI

Ok, probably opening a huge can of worms here, but here goes nothing.

The 'options' section for penitent engines contains the following "Include an additional two penitent engines....85points per model".

So my question is this - do you have to buy two additional engines or can you buy just one?

The argument for two is: the wording is such that it does not give you an option to buy one. If it was meant to, it would say, as the other unit entries do, 'include up to x pentient engines'. The wording seems quite deliberately chosen to mean you buy 2 extra or none.

The argument for one or two is: a) if you had to buy 2, why give the points cost per model rather than just a total for both? b) why on earth would GW want to force you to buy two models rather than just one (other than of course for financial gain)?

To me, this seems to be a case of badly worded rules (and as I have mentioned elsewhere, GW does not proof read WD) and the only sensible thing is that you can buy one or two additional engines. However, if we play RAW, you have to buy 2 or nothing....

Have at it.

Edit: Rules on p91 of WD381 for anyone who wants to look them up.

You must be one heck of a tedious opponent if you have to ask this with any seriousness.

Chaplain

Play it safe and go with RAW and then pray that we eather get a FAQ for it (doubtful) or the new codex gets a move on and released soon

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by jfv999 View Post
    You must be one heck of a tedious opponent if you have to ask this with any seriousness.
    Nothing tedious about that question, sometimes its all or nothing when you upgrade things.

Its better to ask the questions and be proved correct than not ask and be acused of cheating

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by jfv999 View Post
    Wow, I'm tedious and yet you found the the time to register for the forum and ensure that your first post served no purpose other than insulting someone. Way to make friends there.

I don't actually play SoB so I really don't care, I was curious to see what the wider community thought. It is not like they have simply just missed a word out and the answer is obvious, it seems a deliberately designed and yet very odd rule. I see no reason why the question is not valid.
    Last edited by Wildeybeast; 09-07-2011 at 10:41 AM.

I vote on the autor just missing "up to" in the sentence

Chapter-Master

Were it that easy. If that were the case the sentence would read 'include [up to] two additional penitent engines', which is how the entries are written for other squads. However the wording is such that it appears no words are missing (the use of "an" is the key) and you have to take 2 extra or non at all. This would be ok, if not somewhat odd, on its own, but then the points cost are listed per model. So I can only think that either the points cost or the option has been badly written, but it's hard to tell which. The perils of using the non-proof read WD to publish codexes.

RAW in the context of playing makes sense. One for a bit of fun in the game and 3 are needed for an effective weapon - ie thin skinned open topped walker fixated on a charge across the battle field. What I find more interesting is the picture of the penitent engine of page 97 WD 380 link below and again on page 86 WD 381 which look like a new model. Its a pity Exorcists dont also come in squadrons of 3.

[URL="http://artificer-gallery.blogspot.com/2011/08/new-penitent-engine-finecast-mini.html"]http://artificer-gallery.blogspot.com/2011/08/new-penitent-engine-finecast-mini.html[/URL]

Chaplain

Not to put you down but the question is moot as a SoB player I can tell you no one is going to waste the heavy slot to buy some Penitent Engines they're just...not worth it at all (nicest thing I could think of). But it is a good question and one I didn't catch mostle because I skimmed the entry and sadly put my PE's back in their box, I swear they cried.

Edit. If this sounds rude, sorry I was just pointing out how useless a unit they are.
    Battle Sisters Record 2012 2/0/0
    Empire Record 2012 1/0/3

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by doom-kitten View Post
    Not to put you down but the question is moot as a SoB player I can tell you no one is going to waste the heavy slot to buy some Penitent Engines they're just...not worth it at all (nicest thing I could think of). But it is a good question and one I didn't catch mostle because I skimmed the entry and sadly put my PE's back in their box, I swear they cried.

Edit. If this sounds rude, sorry I was just pointing out how useless a unit they are.
    Don't worry mate, it doesn't sound rude. They have always seemed odd to me, combat machines in a largely shooty army. Were they HS in the previous rules, seems to me it would make mopre sense if they and dominion squads were switched.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast