BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Battle-Brother

Default SM Bike Armies - Powerful or not?

Hi all,
    I keep reading articles that mention Vulcan builds and bike builds as being amongst the more powerful options in the space marine codex. Having palyed a White Scars army for about 12 months without the huge amounts of sucess Im hearing I should be having can someone shed any light on the true strength of marine biker armies?
    Perhaps a sample list and a discription of plan A of how it should be used would be nice if anyone is up to that?

Thanks

[url]http://kirbysblog-ic.blogspot.com/2011/02/guest-articlespace-marine-biker-tactica.html[/url]
    [url]http://kirbysblog-ic.blogspot.com/2010/06/how-to-space-marine-bikers-part-1.html[/url]
    [url]http://kirbysblog-ic.blogspot.com/2010/06/how-to-space-marine-bikers-part-2-unit.html[/url]
    [url]http://kirbysblog-ic.blogspot.com/2010/06/how-to-space-marine-bikers-part-3-2.html[/url]

There's a pretty good series of articles on 3++ on the subject. Essentially, the strengths of the biker list are extreme mobility thanks to the bikes themselves and Combat Tactics (which is why Khan is not used) combined with resilience (from T5 and consistent 3+/2+ cover) along with lots of Melta shooting for tanks and TL Bolters for infantry. Command Squads and Captains decked out for combat provide melee support at higher point totals.

It's a ton of fun to play and very different from other MEQ lists, but it can also be very unforgiving because of the small number of models and many decisions that must be made. However, for those willing to give it a chance and that enjoy the style of shifting, aggressive play, it is a a strong army. Perhaps not in the very top tier of 5E armies, but not so far below.

Brother-Sergeant

Bikers are good because they give Marines a better Troop choice than Tactical Squads.

Compare:

Tac Squad w/ melta, combi-melta, missile launcher

Bike squad w/ 4 bikes, 2 meltas, Multi-Melta attack bike

Or

Bike squad w/ 4 bikes, 2 flamers, combi-flamer Multi-Melta attack bike

The Tacs have a bit better resilience due to numbers and the long range missile shot, but the bikes are faster, even if the Tacs buy a transport, are better at boltering targets, are better at delivering their meltas, and have more three melta shots all the time.

An army with 5 or 6 of those bike squads as Troops has a lot more mobility and special weapons than one that is using Tac Squads in rhinos or razorbacks.

Battle-Brother

Thanks for the thoughts guys,
    I have been playing these lists for some time, though with Kahn, so no combat tactics choosing to run fun & games.

The thing is people keep saying its one of the strongest marine builds around but I just can't seem to get it to work. I have a less than 50/50 win ratio with it at tournements and although dropping kahn to get back combat tactics would by most accounts make the list stronger, I just don't see it being able to take on many of the newer 5E armys unless the mission is favourable to the speed.

What I've found to be my biggest problem is I simply don't get to roll enough dice. What I mean by this is that every shot I take due to the reduced army size seems to be vital and if I have just one bad roll I seem to spend all game trying to catch up.

I don't consider myself a bad general but this is one army I just can't seem to make work. Its is however a fun army to play but I think it will be getting saved for friendly games once my grey knights are painted.

Occuli Imperator

I have always shyed away from SM bikes thinking that they are over priced, however a few weeks ago I played a friend of mine getting back to the hobby and I ran 850pts (or so) all mounted bike list, + land speed. 2x 5 man bikes, 2x plasma on the one 2xmelta on the other
    What I neglected to factor in, is that the bikes can move and get their bolters in rapidfire range quickly so negating, coupled with being able to field 2 plasma guns in a 5 man unit made an ideal terminator/ elite heavy infantry. The melta squad being able to drive to the back of armour and at half range.
    It has certainly made me re-consider their inclusion.
    I usually play Blood Angels however which means that the bike squads are having to vie for a space with Baal Predators...

Its really hard to say why your army may not be performing well, without looking at your actual list. I have seen a few variations on SM bike armies. Can you post it?

Also how are you playing the army? Are you trying to hit and run with the guns or are you charging into combat?

Such is the information that could help give a clue as to what is happening.
    Last edited by BigFreakySean; 09-07-2011 at 12:40 PM.

Default list

I played against an ard' boyz opponent who played bikes. He ran his bikes in squads of eight. He actually played Vulcan in a lr with termies and ran two full command squads of bikes with thunderhammers and storm shield mixed in. I cant remember the actual loadout, sorry. He did not run khan (too expensive I suppose). The list was fast, if he wasn't shooting he was turbo-boosting, period. No foot troops. It was a very competitive build. I have also seen bikes run in squads of six with two special weapons AND the sergeant armed with a combi-weapon, no pf. Don't give up it is a very exciting list.