BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default 2 Meters is considered "Giant" now?

In many of the SM related books I have read recently they refer to the SM as "towering", "giant", "enormous" and so on. But I have also seen where they use "two meters" multiple times to denote this grand stature... Now I may just be a "daft yank" but..um.. isn't that just 6 feet or so?

Now 3-4 Meters is huge but 2 is shorter than most of the players in the NBA and I am pretty sure the fluff and intent is that they would be at least that tall if not taller. I mean when I envision an Astartes I picture someone like Broc Lesner from the UFC/WWE sport but magnified a good 2-3 feet in every direction.

A 6 foot tall dude just doesn't sound all thet intimidating to me, but then again maybe all the brits are really short?

Librarian

In the future, the tallest man is only 4 1/2' tall. True story, I went there and saw. I'm only 5'7" and the people cowered before me as if in deference to a god. It was pretty awesome. Then my temporal displacement unit shorted out, and I ended up back now, a shortie. Ah well, c'est la vie.

Honestly, I'd be willing to bet it's more the writers not necessarily remembering how large a meter is.

Adeptus Custodes

A google search tells me its 6 foot seven inches.

When I was younger Americans were always taller than British(and Irish) People. This was because of the difference in diet, My parents say it was much more noticable when they were children. This difference has closed significantly in recent years to. Over here 6 foot 7 would be considered very tall. Gigantic on the other hand? Maybe the two meters refers to the Marine himselfwhen he's not wearing anything, and Power Armour would add to the height?
    More Necromunda please.

Chapter-Master

If by 'just 6 feet' you actually mean 6'7", then you're absolutely correct. I think the only context in which an average height of 6'7" wouldn't be considered towering is when the top NBA centers meet for drinks after a game.

And in case you didn't know how many feet a meter is, [URL="http://tinyurl.com/yc2s2ot"]here[/URL]. Maybe it's a good think the US hasn't switched to metric for the general populace...
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master

I always remember spacemarines without power armour being referred to as between 7' and 8', which I think we'd all agree is pretty tall. As for 2m being considered giant; well I work with a guy who is 6'8", and I wouldn't really call him giant (though he has all the bulk of a piece of string, so that probably doesn't help...)
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

Yeah, Space Marines are "only" six and a half or seven feet tall, which I guess is shorter than a lot of NBA players. But it's also worth remembering that they are built like double-wide trucks, so they've got a good 50-100lbs on most guys in the NBA.

Chapter-Master

probably more like 100-200 pounds. Not fat, but extra bones and lots of muscle.

Librarian

Well I'd say the era the models representing the space marine were made should be considered. If the fluff is inspired by the latest plastic terminator kits, than the marine in question would be close to eight feet with piles of muscles. On the other hand, if you use an old rogue trader 1980s figure as imagination inspiration, than a space marine is about 5" 2".

Chapter-Master

6'7 isn't actually short for an NBA player. In fact, a quick google search reveals that it's about average for NBA players, and NBA players are really, really frikin' tall. Keep in mind that the NBA (and other tall non-basketball players) represents an extremely small percentage of the population. I don't happen to know what the standard deviation for male height is among developed nations is, but I'd bet money that quite a bit less than 1% of the population is 6'7. By every reasonable expectation, 6'7 is a giant of a man, particularly when they weigh 500lbs of pure muscle.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Librarian

I think Dark has hit it on the nose. It's not that they're taller, but just massive in bulk and whatnot.

I mean, I'm 6'2, for all intents and purposes, so a 6'7" makes me look smaller. Now tack on an extra 75-100 lbs or more for being a space marine, and you'd be an imposing figure.

Think Brock Lesnar, but bigger and you're looking at a Space Marine.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast