BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default 1500 pt Blood Angles

Hi all, im a returning 40k gamer, havent played in 10 years or so. Im very excited to play this new blood angles codex! Im trying to build an all around army that could compete with any other race with a moderate level of confidence, i dont really like building specifically for one game. Anyway this is what i have currently

1 captain, JP, stormbolter, power sword; 10 Death company, JPs, some power weapons, Chaplain; 10 Assault marines, JPs, power wep, flamer, melta bombs; 10 scouts, 8 snipers, 1 heavy bolter; 5 Terminators, chainfist, assault cannon (would perfer asault termmies, but 10 years ago i bought the normal ones so thats what i got.) Sanguinary Priest JP. In case its not noted, all my marines have jump packs, save the termmys and scouts.

I think thats my whole list, i have some extra points left over. The plan is to put the Priest and Captain with the assault squad so they get all the Priests buffs. Judging by the codex, it seems like its a waste not to build an assault style army with all the cool bonuses they get like furious charge and feel no pain and such. Anyway, i originally set the Death company up all with power weapons, hoping to just demolish any squad on the charge, but it ended up costing like 450 points or so and i didnt know if it was actually worth all those points or not.

If anyone has some advice on if this is a good start, or if i need to make some adjustments / add something to it. Currently i have a heavy support void. I do have a devistator squad, furioso dred, normal dred, and attack bike that i could squeeze in. Also i have 20 tac marines at my disposal aswell. I just need some help as to what to field i guess! Hope all that makes sense! Ty again and happy gaming!

Occuli Imperator

Sounds like a good start

I found the problem with "over priced" death company was to take the Jump Packs from them and retain the power weapons, then give them a form of transport (my currently favourite is the Storm Raven, though 5 man with priest fit in a twin-assault cannon razor back just as nicely), it also circumvents that pesky rage problem so you can direct where they are going to go.

But I would say play some games and see what works for your style of play. There are a lot of "internet lists" that are out there for various armies which are "maximised" but if they don't complement your playing style then they aren't the best for you.

As for the Heavy Support void as you put it, I usually field predators either with Autocannons with Heavy Bolter sponsons, but then in my gaming group 2/3rds field nid armies so I need a high rate of fire. If I were to be facing armour then I would probably look at replacing the autocannon with a lascannon.

I agree with wolfshade on taking transports over jump packs. 10 DC in a rhino is hardcore on it's own and 100 pts cheaper than paying for 10 jump packs. the rhino is a fast transport and a nice shell protecting your already durable power unit. also, having bolter men back up the sprinkling of power weapons is a force to be reckoned with. Relentless bolters hit hard before a DC rage fueled charge.

that said i've never fielded a jump pack unit of DC, it sure sounds scary and. maybe just try out a 5 or 6 man unit dropping out of heaven in to somebody's flank first.

as far as heavy support units are concerned a predator is the most flexible option you have. looking at your list i would say that you need some transport busting fire support, as your Death Co. and Assault w/ HQandPriest units will do well against foot units.

My current loadout for an armor killing Predator is Autocannon, LasCan sponsons, and a hunter-killer missile, this way a weapon destroyed result will still leave me with potential anti-armor shots no matter what my opponent decides to remove. it also gives you 4 shots firing down range, and 2 lascannons with the sponsons as opposed to 1 twinlinked main lascannon.

Good luck and let us know how your scheming goes.