BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Removing paint from a bit mess up

Okay quick summary. I made a bone headed mistake and quickly realized that I am still new to the painting game

I ended up painting my marines, everything was fine then I went to put my clear coat on them to protect them and all went well until the clear coat dried. Once I saw the outcome I took a look at my clear coat and realized I bought enamel instead of acrylic. Whoops... yeah seriously you would think I would have paid more attention, I guess I need to take the same advice I give my kids.

Anyways, now I'm stuck with this group of marines and my terminator lord and they look frosty. They're still playable but is there any way I could remove all of the paint and clear coat from these plastic models, but still keep the models from being ruined? Then I could just repaint them and all would be well.

Here's a couple of pictures so you can see how a new guy looks without the clear coat, and then the guy on the left with the clear coat.

Thanks.

Initiate

I've found nail varnish remover is great for stripping paint without damaging the plastic. White spirits on the other hand can soften and warp the plastic. I lost a SM Commander that way.

Librarian

maybe its just that picture, but i think the grainy/frosty look goes well for chaos marines IMO

simple green usually works well

Ha just realized my title was a "bit" mess up instead of a big mess up. Oh well.

Nail polish remover and simple green huh. I will give them both a shot. I'll raid my wife's cabinets for some nail polish remover and hit the store for simple green.

Should I just soak the model, do you just soak it overnight or is it really a "depends" sort of thing?

Initiate

What I did is get a toothbrush and dip in the nail varnish remover and lightly scrubbed the model. A cloth might also work too as the toothbrush tends to cause a little spray. Best to do it in a well ventilated area as well, nail varnish remover is pretty fumy.

Chaplain

Frost Marines? Spray the rest with the same varnish?

I know....

Battle-Brother

If you're going to use nail polish remover make sure it's acetone-free. Otherwise it might eat your plastic.

Personally I use Simple Green because it's what I have (was using it to clean before I knew it could strip paint). Usually I'll allow a model to soak in it overnight and the next day the paint scrubs mostly free with just a toothbrush.

However, I hear that Purple Power and Awesome Orange are superior in the paint removal dept.

Quote Originally Posted by Dia View Post
    Personally I use Simple Green because it's what I have (was using it to clean before I knew it could strip paint). Usually I'll allow a model to soak in it overnight and the next day the paint scrubs mostly free with just a toothbrush.
    I've had poor results with simple green, maybe it was just the kind of paint the previous owner used. I use the same technique soak and then scrub with a toothbrush. Nothing happend after the first day, waited a few more and still minimal paint removal. I tried soaking it for 3 weeks but most of the simple green had evaporated. The paint still did not remove very well from the model.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by ssylyss View Post
    I've had poor results with simple green, maybe it was just the kind of paint the previous owner used. I use the same technique soak and then scrub with a toothbrush. Nothing happend after the first day, waited a few more and still minimal paint removal. I tried soaking it for 3 weeks but most of the simple green had evaporated. The paint still did not remove very well from the model.
    Holy cow. Three weeks? I think I would've switched to something else after one or two days.

What do you use now and what kind of treatment and results do you acheive?

Veteran-Sergeant

simple green works well on standard GW paints

If enamels have been used (for example most Tamiya sprays) then yer it will take WEEKS for the simple green to work and LOTS of scrubbing

Im not too sure on clearcotes but im guessing varnish will add a significant time to the simple green doing its thing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast