BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

No worries.

Post some lists up when you get round to it. You been playing fantasy for long?

Chapter-Master

On and off for 14 years, give or take. Just got back into it a few months ago after sabbatical of a few years. I've always played Empire, so I fancied something different.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Ah cool. Well a few pointers for 8th edition probably wouldn't go a miss:

- Magic is a lot stronger than it ever used to be, but the risks also increased.
    - A level 4 mage seems to be a staple in a lot of lists. Personally i would fit heroes and lords to fit the army. if you are going for big block units that you want to stand and hold, then a combination of a BSB, a level 4 casting spells such as "flesh to stone" combined with the "all boosting spell" (it's name escapes me) with a hero or lord in there would work well.
    - cavalry are still good, but not all cavalry. notable good include, dragon princes, chaos kinghts, the new ogre cav, blood knights (but too costly) and empire knights. oops forgot coldone knights. fast cavalry can be nice, but in a wood elf list they are too exspensive
    - you gain no bonuses from charging except lance strength, impact hits from things like chariots and ogres and the plus one combat res. Elves are a high initiative army, so taking the charge would probably be best. You take the hit on your big blocks of "magic" boosted elves, then flank with dryads, treekin etc. or you take the hit with the treekin.
    -you can now fire half of your 2nd or 3rd rank (can't remember which). so deploying spread out far back and maximising shots would be effective, before reforming the turn before you get charged.
    - check the magic items in the rulebook, they are often duplicated items from the army books or very similar but cost less.
    - pack some form of flaming or magical attacks somewhere in your army.
    - you can pre measure ( i'm sure you know a lot of this already) but its good. use it a lot. Think about distance before you do anything. think of speels in the movement phase and adjust your army according to ranges of spells, shooting, charges etc.
    - if you have the points for it, pack a dispell scroll.
    - do not bother wasting points on unit champions, other than in units that will bunker the characters. Champions accepting challenges instead of mages is a good thing, but on other units the cost of a unit champ is not worth it.

thats all i got for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    On and off for 14 years, give or take. Just got back into it a few months ago after sabbatical of a few years. I've always played Empire, so I fancied something different.
    Enjoy, Wood Elves are a blast to play, I find it hard to play other armies nowdays. Can be a real surpise for an opponent.

My advice would be not to get carried away with bows - close range shooting with glade guard is VERY potent but with units needing to be destroyed in order to gain victory points - close combat is often the way to go. I largely only use shooting and a tricked-out alter noble to hunt down fast things and monsters.

With the army being fragile and expensive, I find you will only win if you can pick your fights, and mob (and annihlate) one choice target at a time, from as many directions as possible.

Hope the above helps!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12