BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Default Wood Elf Alter kindred rules

Ok, so for those who don't know, wood elf characters can buy an 'upgrade' (kindreds) which lets them do funky things like become wardancers, waywatchers etc.

The rules for Alter kindreds are: "the character's movement and iniative are increased to 9 and his attacks are increased by 1. However he must fight on foot. A character from the kindred....may not be the army general, nor may he join a unit."

So I have 2 questions about this.

1) Is this, as it seems to me, a permanant upgrade to characteristics, as opposed to say a bonus from a magic item. (Because it is not a magic item, but an 'upgrade' like improving wizard level). I ask because there is magic bow which lets you fire as many times as you have 'attacks on your profile', so if this is a permanent profile upgrade you would gain a bonus shot using the bow.

2)"May not be army general". Does this mean that, if I have one character with Ld10, that he cannot buy this upgrade as he is automatically the army general? Or does it mean that he can buy it and the generalship defaults to the next highest Ld character?
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

First-Captain

Anyone who has this cant be army general. So moment u buy this he is no longer possible of being general
    For the Greater good.

hey

1 - if they work anything like vampire powers and the old high elf "abilities" such as swordmaster and seer, then they become part of the models rules, so yeh your attack profile would permanently increase by 1 etc etc. So yup with the bow it would work nicely.

2 - the army general is decided by what you have in your army. Taking this ability makes him void much like how a character with a BSB becomes void so you go to the next highest leadership. This also means you must have another character who is general valid.

Hope that helps

Chapter-Master

It indeed does, thanks to both of you. I assumed this to be the case, I just wanted to double check as I'm trying to build a Wood Elf army that's actually stands half ac hance of winning, but without having to buy metal models (which rules out half the army!) Roll on new army book!
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

I'm not a wood elf player myself, but i have played two at my local store and both armies are almost identical.

Stregths currently include:

Treekin - these things are very nice in 8th. you have to take atleast 6.
    Arch mage
    Hero or lord with that bow you mentioned.
    Block units of glade guard
    Dryads
    Treeman (but expensive)

Most other things are not worth taking from what i have seen. My local GW's gaming night is tomorrow i shall see if i can get any details off them for you.

Chapter-Master

Thanks. I've gathered that forest spirits are the way to go and that bow combined with arrows that ignore armour saves lets you make a mess of elites like knights. If you don't mind asking I'd like to know opinions on Wild Riders, they seem quite effective on paper.

in 7th, wild riders were awesome. but they took a knock in 8th. in fact a lot of cavalry did. Not having access to their rules its hard to say, but from memory, they are not heavy cav so have a weaker save. they are elves so toughness 3. movement value is good but due to the new charging mechanics, speed and distance is more random regardless if your on foot or a horse.

small units for flanking moves might be useful, but id worry you'd be wasting points. a flyer would be a proffered hassling unit.

having said that, i'll take a look at the book tomorrow to confirm my worries over wild riders and get any info i can from our local wood elf players.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by addamsfamily36 View Post
    hey

1 - if they work anything like vampire powers and the old high elf "abilities" such as swordmaster and seer, then they become part of the models rules, so yeh your attack profile would permanently increase by 1 etc etc. So yup with the bow it would work nicely.

2 - the army general is decided by what you have in your army. Taking this ability makes him void much like how a character with a BSB becomes void so you go to the next highest leadership. This also means you must have another character who is general valid.

Hope that helps
    This bloke is right. I've played wood elves for years.
    Spelling errors are free of charge...

Hey wildey

So your in luck, i was down the store tonight and so was the wood elf player, playing with his wood elves. He absolutely tabled a demon army.

Tree kin in a block of 6 was his hammer unit. This combined with a couple of mages with the lore of life meant, even though the treekin took casualties, they returned soon enough.

other units were blocks of glade guard for shooting goodness. i honestly can't remember if he had any dryads as i was playing a game and chatting to him when i could.

Eagle or 2 for harassing small units and war machines or mages out of units.

Treeman

and a bsb i think

He may also have taken a unit of glade riders for a flanking unit but im not 100% on that one. Even if he did, id rather use the points on more glade guard or a dryad unit.

Hope that helps. sorry ican't give you more item specific stuff unfortunetly we were playing in the same time slot.

Chapter-Master

That's great thanks for going out of your way to get me some info, I really appreciate it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast