BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Default WD Codex Sisters of Battle 2000 Points

This is version 2 of my list, it is thus far untested but the original version did manage a 3-0 record against Orks, Vulkan Marines, and Chaos Space Marines and I think this one is slightly better...
    HQ:
    The Saint
    Uriah Jacobus
    Battle Conclave x9 (1 Crusader, 4 DCA, 4 Arco Flagellants) Rhino w/ XTA DZ
    Jacobus joins the Conclave in their Rhino. The Saint joins Seraphim.

Fast Attack:
    Seraphim x10: Eviscerator, Twin Hand Flamer x2

Elites:
    Sisters Repentia x10 (They borrow a Rhino from whatever Battle Squad gets tapped for home base defense)

Heavy Support:
    Exorcist: DZ
    Exorcist: DZ
    Retributors x10: Heavy Bolter x4

Troops:
    Battle Squad x10: Meltagun x2 Rhino w/ XTA DZ
    Battle Squad x10: Meltagun x2 Rhino w/ XTA DZ
    Battle Squad x10: Meltagun, Flamer Rhino w/ XTA DZ
    Battle Squad x10: Flamer x 2 Rhino w/ XTA DZ

I'm surprisingly happy with this list and that goofy Codex, (?!!?) it has pretty decent shooting at all ranges, a few solid melee units, 7 vehicles, 81 models, and 4 scoring units. So far for me it has torn my opponents up pretty well with the Saint + Seraphim combo (The Five Flamer Death Punch™) demolishing foes and Uriah + Conclave being shockingly effective. If you can keep them under control the Repentia are also pretty good for the points. The Battle Squads are cheap and respectable at shooting but suck mightily in melee, sadly 5th ed requires an abundance of Troops so I believe you need a minimum of 3 to 4. Its pretty much the rest of the army's job to keep them safe and happy on top of objectives. All 3 entries from Heavy Support have done extremely well and I feel they are a bargain.

I do miss my old Faith rules (new Faith = suck) and pretty much all the old WH wargear (The Book, Eviscerators) but this new Codex does give me 2 vastly underpriced and excellent special characters (who really help offset the high cost of a few units) and makes several off the old units that never saw the light of day some playing time. Compared to my old WH army list I have 20 more infantry and 2 more Rhinos, I hit harder but I die easier and am more likely to run away. I don't think its better or worse really, just a lot different.

What do y'all think about this list and the state of the ladies in general?

Scout

I see nothing glaringly wrong with your list. I'm currently planning out my SoB list and it looks very similar to yours. Mine has a few minor differences. Im running 3 exocists instead of the retributor squad. Also I have Uriah in an immolator with 5 DC assasins. I also wouldnt run the repentia squad preferring a second seraphim squad instead. But, overall it looks good to me.

I was just about to say that I played a game with a list just like this but when you look at the sort of units available it becomes obvious whats good and whats not.

I had a big squad of 20 sisters run away after they got charged by a single nid warrior and got hacked down. Gutted to say the least but at least i've learned to keep them in rhinos now!!

Overall it seems good, can't over emphasize how good dominion squads are, scouting melta/flamers? yes please, also retributor squads with heavy bolters are a steal!

I tend to run the battle conclave with more DCA's than Flagellants as they get 5 attacks on the charge thanks to uriah anyway, get feel no pain from him which the arco's already have and they are I6 power weapons which the sisters are lacking quite badly, the lack of eviscerators in the squads hurts.
    Last edited by The Twilight Fade; 09-16-2011 at 04:28 PM.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Asdrubeal View Post
    I see nothing glaringly wrong with your list. I'm currently planning out my SoB list and it looks very similar to yours. Mine has a few minor differences. Im running 3 exocists instead of the retributor squad. Also I have Uriah in an immolator with 5 DC assasins. I also wouldnt run the repentia squad preferring a second seraphim squad instead. But, overall it looks good to me.
    I run 2 Exorcists because I have 7 Rhino/Immolator/Exorcist hulls to work with and I like having 5 Rhinos to play with, plus Retributors are so cheap its hard not to take them. Swapping the Repentia for Seraphim would be a solid trade IMO, but I don't have the Seraphim models and those poor Repentia have been locked in the army box for so many years they deserve a couple of battles now that they don't compete for the worst unit in 40k award.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by The Twilight Fade View Post
    I was just about to say that I played a game with a list just like this but when you look at the sort of units available it becomes obvious whats good and whats not.

I had a big squad of 20 sisters run away after they got charged by a single nid warrior and got hacked down. Gutted to say the least but at least i've learned to keep them in rhinos now!!

Overall it seems good, can't over emphasize how good dominion squads are, scouting melta/flamers? yes please, also retributor squads with heavy bolters are a steal!

I tend to run the battle conclave with more DCA's than Flagellants as they get 5 attacks on the charge thanks to uriah anyway, get feel no pain from him which the arco's already have and they are I6 power weapons which the sisters are lacking quite badly, the lack of eviscerators in the squads hurts.
    I intend to up the # of DCA's in the squad as soon as I can find some or come up with a decent conversion (Wyches?) but for now I only have 2 plus an Eversor and Callidus standing in. I've had the same luck with my Battle Squads, as soon as they see melee combat, they die quick and bloody deaths. I haven't tried Dominions yet but they look enticing. One of my Battle Squads could easily be swapped out for a unit and maybe the Rhino could get the Immolator upgrade for around the same points. I have all the turrets but I just never fell in love with Immolators either in the book or the old one and have never used one in probably 40+ games with the SoB.

Retributors are indeed a bargain. I probably wouldn't bother with the full squad of 10 but I ran out of places to spend the points...

Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    I do miss my old Faith rules (new Faith = suck) ?
    If you do the Math you make out way better with the new system WH SOB 2000pt list would have on the average 9 to 11 points. So lets run the numbers to get full use of all the point 1. I would have to rely on martyrdom meaning all my VSS or Cannoness or Faithful units would have to die off to get them back. So if we take that into consideration we will run it for 5 turns. meaning I will kill off them and get back my points so 18 total faith points. Divided that by 5 that gives you 3 points you can use per turn and have with loosing some of your hardest hitters. This is also hoping that you don't go to Rnd 6 or 7.

New faith with Jacobus = on the average you are going to have a roll of 3 over the five turns (I use the phase twin-linking my faith.) Over 7 turn i will average 21 faith points and never have to "Kamikaze a single model." most of the time you can look at having 4 pnts per turn meaning you would have 28 pnts through 7 turns.

Standards can then create a second layer of twin-linking you faith spend the points to at least to get one on your Rets. I would put a MM in there also through alot of play testing people like to drop pod dreadies within assault range of them this gives you a deterrent against that.

Librarian

Yeah but that first turn of shooting was far more reliable. Our first salvo would cripple the target unit. More that is far more difficult.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey0804 View Post
    If you do the Math you make out way better with the new system WH SOB 2000pt list would have on the average 9 to 11 points. So lets run the numbers to get full use of all the point 1. I would have to rely on martyrdom meaning all my VSS or Cannoness or Faithful units would have to die off to get them back. So if we take that into consideration we will run it for 5 turns. meaning I will kill off them and get back my points so 18 total faith points. Divided that by 5 that gives you 3 points you can use per turn and have with loosing some of your hardest hitters. This is also hoping that you don't go to Rnd 6 or 7.

New faith with Jacobus = on the average you are going to have a roll of 3 over the five turns (I use the phase twin-linking my faith.) Over 7 turn i will average 21 faith points and never have to "Kamikaze a single model." most of the time you can look at having 4 pnts per turn meaning you would have 28 pnts through 7 turns.

Standards can then create a second layer of twin-linking you faith spend the points to at least to get one on your Rets. I would put a MM in there also through alot of play testing people like to drop pod dreadies within assault range of them this gives you a deterrent against that.
    The # of powers you get during the game is undeniably higher, but the powers themselves aren't really making me moist. Its not that I don't get lots of Faith points, its that half of my powers are weaksauce.

My brother tends to take 2 20 woman string squads and 2 10 woman string squads with 2 dominion squads and 4 rhinos, 2 immolators, 3 exorcists, Celestine and some saraphims. Overall his list does well, as long as he can roll decently for his exorcists. Those are some fickle tanks.

Brother-Sergeant

As an update I've used this list about 15-20 times and it has performed admirably with only one serious loss and quite a few dominant victories. The weakest links have been (no surprise) the fragility of the Troops who are sadly vital in most missions. Learning point: STAY IN YOUR RHINOS with Battle Squads. The other less than stellar unit has been the Retributors who I would definitely replace with a 3rd Exorcist if I had the hulls to spare. The Saint is retardedly good as are Seraphim and the Conclave. Repentia hit like a ton of bricks and are very tough if you stay in cover so if you can avoid getting f'd by Rage they rock. The only change I am considering is dropping Extra Armor, a few Retributors, and a Repentia or 2 and putting in another smaller squad of Seraphim.

Normally I swear by Extra Armor on transports but with the 6++ I don't know if its worth it. Thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast