BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Weathering Pigment Question

Well I used weathering pigment for the first time on my ork battlewagon. I went a bit overboard but all in all it looked dirty and rusty so I liked it. Anyway when I went to seal it with GW flat matte. The matte spray started drying white not clear. It ruined the entire model and now it's sitting in purple power.

What do you use to seal weathering pigment?

Chapter-Master

I typically seal it with hairspray first. I believe you can also seal with a gloss hardcoat first, and then go back over with the matte as well.

www.queencityguard.com

Brother-Sergeant

I tend to apply my pigment, flood with white spirit and leave to dry. This seems to hold the pigment without it loosing any off its effects. I used to flood with a white spirit/matt oil varnish mix but this really deadened the contrast of the pigments. Unless they are getting alot of handling, I'd leave off a final varnish coat. I think you'll get a more realistic weathered look and you can always re-apply your pigment.

I would also suggest NEVER using GW matte use Testor's Dull Coat so much more constant product and Much better sealant and doe not go white

Just my 2 cents

Always test your flat coat before spraying, it does have a tendency to go off and make things look like they've been iced.

I use Army Painter's Anti-Shine Matt varnish. That stuff is pretty ace. For example, I've done three coats of ASMV on some Infinity models (that were painted using blending techniques), and they still kept their colour and blending after being sprayed three times. You probably don't want to spray too heavily on models with metallic paint, as most varnish can dull down the metallic pigment a little.

I'd sugest picking up some Army Painter ASMV, paint up a scrap piece and give it a try before you do the whole model.

But as someone above said, as much as I love GW, don't use their varnishes. They're not much use once you move out of newbie stage.

Librarian

MIG Pigment Fixer.

Costs about £5 on eBay. Turns pigments into a wash, which then dry out as fixed pigment. Lovely stuff, if a little stinky.

When you are going to use pigments seal the model before you apply the pigment. At best they will turn out looking permanently wet, at worst it will happen as it did to you. After you clearcoat the model let it dry fully. Apply your pigments at this point. To "seal" them you can buy pigment fixer or you can use tamiya paint thinner. Just dip a brush in it and gently dab it onto the pigment. You will see it spread out and be absorbed. This will help in keeping the pigment in place as well as keeping its original color.

Thanks for all the replies folks. I picked up Mineral Spirits. This is the American version of white spirits. I will give that a whirl. I will pick up some testors flat matte and army painter matte and try them both. I will deffinately test them first next time.