BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: chaos help

Veteran-Sergeant

Default chaos help

hey everybody. i want to get my chaos army rolling. i know the codex is out of dat but i love choas im new to chaos and need some insite from the gods. thanks for your wisdom.
    i really like khorne deamon weapons and im considering taking 2 if i dont take a deamon prince.
    as for elites i think they are mostly kinda pointless except termies. they can have tl auto and power weapons in termie armour is a dream come true.
    i love that you can take all 4 types of choas god troops but i was wondering which are the best and how to use them. i think bezerkers are the most strait forward but i want to know the best way to use plague marines and 1k sons and noise marines.
    i want to take raptors with khorne icon as fast attack but im not sure it would be worth the points.
    for heavy support i want to take a defiler so so so bad. but i was wondering if a havocs squad with 4 auto cannons will do well. otherwise ill be taking missles.

ill have an army list later i just want some words of wisdom about what troops to take and what unit combos are the best to take. any cool/fun strats are more then welcome.

The Khorne Daemon weapons arent that bad of a choice (despite what many on this site may say concerning the lord choice) As far as I remember they significantly improve your chance of not attacking yourself.

Termies are termies; they would make a good bodyguard unit for the lord and could bring in some nice firepower.

Of all the cult troop choice I think only Khorne and Nurgle are worth it. Nurgle is just plain annoying for the opponent and Khorne is straightforward and deadly. 1k Sons are not my choice bc they are premium price and there are too many cover saves available for the opponent. Noise marines get far too expensive when you upgrade the sonic weaponry, and I5 isnt that much to write home about for the points increase.

Raptors might be a good choice, cant remember their cost. Not many players use them, which is to your advantage but they do act very similar to assualt marines so opponents might have a trick or two for dealing with them.

Havocs work well and I think the defiler is a good choice. Just remember to keep firing the battle cannon unless a truly juicy assault target comes up. With low initiative and WS you want him taking on fights you know he can win; esp vechicles.

Hope that helps some
    For the Empire-----CHARGE!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FTE-Charge!!! View Post
    The Khorne Daemon weapons arent that bad of a choice (despite what many on this site may say concerning the lord choice) As far as I remember they significantly improve your chance of not attacking yourself.
    Wrong way around - they significantly increase your chance of attacking yourself. Most Daemon Weapons roll 1d6 for attacks, and hurt the user on a 1. The Khorne one rolls 2d6, and if either of them roll a 1, the Lord hurts himself. So, that's roughly a 1/3 chance of him not being able to attack and hurting himself each assault phase.

the raptors do act like assault marines for all intents and purposes...

except instead of a 10 man squad max...you can take a 20 man squad...thus more wounds and more attacks for when they do get there...

400 points gets you a 20 man squad throw on a mark of khorne and you will have 3 base attacks and 4 on the charge...gives you 80 attacks on the charge...all strenght 4 Initive 4...

Veteran-Sergeant

i dont think its quite 1/3 lols but its for sure higher then standard or weapon from other gods. i mean lords in 40k are a gamble anyways, its only 25 points anyway. so why not bet an extra 25 points. as for raptors i wouldnt want to have 20 metal models that are prone to tip over i wish they were plastic) might give them plastic jump packs.
    just had a thought. would raptors with nurgle make sense?
    Last edited by apahllo; 09-22-2011 at 02:42 PM.

To be perfectly precise, it's a 30.5% chance of failure each time its used :P They can be very fun, I use one myself, but be ready for him to beat himself up a lot! I've had him wipe out units before any of his accompanying squad could attack, but I've also had him punch himself to death :P

Nurgle Raptors used to be disallowed under the old 'dex, but they're kosher now. Some decent art of them in the Visions of Heresy. Gamewise, they're basically Chaos Bikers without Turbo-boost. If you want fun Nurgle Fast Attack, try Nurgle Bikers, they get to be T4(6)

the raptors do act like assault marines for all intents and purposes...
    And if i remember correctly, they never change pistol nor chainsword for special weapon, so raptors can fire their special weapons and still got +1 attack from having a pistol + ccw.

Noise marines get far too expensive when you upgrade the sonic weaponry
    And yet their 5++ save could be only save you are generally going to get against some armies making it a viable choice. And those sonic weapons can be quite a threat to some armies and builds.

-Nurgle marines are great for annoying your oppoenent, just make sure that majority of their weapons are not AP1, AP2, and favourably str5 or less to get most out of your investment.

-Remember to take Havoc launchers on you rhinos, i hear they are practically a must.

- Kharn the betrayer is a melee monster, especially against units that rely on psychic powers (Kharn is immune to every and all effects that has something to do with psychic)

There are basically two deciding factors when it comes to building a chaos army (or basically almost any army): Do you wanna go to a specific god-themed army, or build a list that is as competitive as it gets?

For excample: If you love khorne, you can choose to take:

Khorne lord
    Berserkers
    Bloodletters as lesser summoned daemons
    Khorne terminators (pimped out with chainfists and reaper autocannons)
    Defiler with 2 extra close combat weapons
    Havocs with all possible autocannons
    Bloodthirster / equivalent as summoned greater daemon

This list is all out and pretty truthfull to the idea of khorne and ultimately super cool play with and against on the fluff / some story point of view, yet you will probably soon learn that there are some problems with defeating some units, heavy vehicles for excample. Also, in addition, some choices will be overkill to many units you are most likely to face on the field, wiping them out too easily on your assault phase thus leaving your forces open for enemy shooting & assault.

On the other hand:

Daemon princes (prular, not gender ) with lash of submissions (alternatively chaos sorcerers with mark of tzeenzech and lash of submissions)
    Couple of medium size plaguemarine squads with 2 meltas /plasmas in rhinos
    3x3 men squads of obliterators
    possibly couple of more themed space marine squads, depending on the enemy you are facing (in rhinos as well)
    or
    chaos chosen squad to ruin the enemy plans by infiltrating with 4x plasma gun and 1x plasma pistol (if i remember the loadout right)

this is somewhere along the lines in a general manner of one of the most competitive lists chaos players can take from their codex.

In the end though, it really really comes down into the fact that are you playing in tournaments, or in a small gaming group of your friends, and are you aiming for the victory, or for the sake of having fun and interesting and challengin (for all sides equally) games..

Battle-Brother

Chaos Lords are not that bad overall, it's just that they are the worst HQ option in the book. Daemon Weapons make them more expensive and less reliable, so if you're going for powergaming you're probably better off avoiding them. Sorcerors with warptime are better in melee, but if you're going for Khorne that's not an option. Same goes for Daemon Princes - Mark of Khorne is ok, warptime is better. Never ever take a DP without wings. If you are into synergy, try a MoT DP with warptime and a shooty second Psychic Power, which will benefit from the rerolls warptime provides.
    Bottom line: Take something with warptime, or Khârn if you play World Eaters, maybe add a cheap Lord with only one weapon to accompany your zerkers. Dont take lash, everybody will hate you for it. :\

The Chaos Elites offer only two real options: Terminators and Chosen. Terminators are awesome, even without upgrades - 30 points a piece is very cheap given their basic equipment is already highend. Throw in a Mark of Khorne and some special weapons and you have a moderatly priced elite melee unit with medium firepower.
    Chosen are awesome because they can take lots of special weapons and infiltrate. Take a squad of 5 with 5 flamers, let them outflank - ruins somebodys day for sure. Just dont try to kit them for melee, they have the options, but they are too expensive.
    Dreadnoughts and Possessed are not as bad as their reputation, but again like the Chaos Lord, not reliable enough if you play to win.

In the Troops section, there are lots of viable options - still one of the best selections amongst all codices out there. Zerkers are indeed one mean unit, few units out there that can go toe to toe with em and win. Main problem is getting them into melee in the first place, so you should take at least a rhino to transport them. 35 Points is ridiculously cheap for a tank - havoc launchers are nice, but only take them if you have some points spare, rhinos are primarily there to drive around and deliver chaos dudes.
    Thousand Sons excel at killing MEQ, or pretty much everything with a 3+ armor save (except wraithlords ). You have to hide them a bit from being shot at by low strength/high quantity weaopons (lasguns, bolters...), so a Rhino is once again mandatory. Disembark from a rhino that moved up to 12", shoot something to bits counting as stationary thanks to s&p, repeat. While many people complain about the sorceror being too expansive, he comes with a force weapon (can cause instant death) and 3 attacks, 4 on the charge - most multi wound models have to think twice before attacking the otherwise weak TS squads in melee. Only problem is if your enemy has no viable targets for their improved bolters, like all terminator armies or IG.
    Plague Marines are tough, and with special weapons they can deliver a little punch. Solid choice, but they die very quickly to things like Battle Cannons, Artillery, Energy Weapons etc. Again, keep them in a Rhino or in good cover.
    Noise Marines.. never played with or against them, so I have no idea. Their weapons seem kinda expensive to me...
    Ordinary CSM are not a bad choice either, probably more flexible than all the cult troops. So if you don't know what you're up against, they are the best choice. Just dont leave the house without power fist sarge and a good mix of special weapons (dont mix inside squads).
    Lesser Daemons are not bad either, but for 2 points more, you can get a CSM, who has much better equipment. Plus, you have to spread some Icons around your army, if you don't already have them anyway...

Havocs are only good for the special weapons, but not the heavy ones. For heavy weapons, take obliterators, period. If you take Obliterators, dont deepstrike them, you probably want them shooting from turn one most of the time. They are vulnerable to Lascannons, so if terrain allows it, hide them from such weapons.
    Defilers are good if you need more long range firepower, but they pretty much suck in melee thanks to WS 3 and I 3. Still a decent unit.

Veteran-Sergeant

okay, you guys seemed to help reassure me with your great posts. also the facts about raptor special weapons and havocs is good. ill think about the chosen with flamers because i have always wanted an excuse to take flamers!!
    as for sons; i want to take a medium squad (7 maybe) in rhino with the spawn ability. it just seems like so so much fun. i love plague marines and khorne zerks, strait mighty units in whatever they do.
    the defiler will be a question for me to investigate further. everyone says its meh but a walking battle cannon with 5 s10 hits... awesome for defense.

as for the quality of my army. im mostly looking for fun, but nobody likes to lose and im a real strat buff.

thanks for the insite you guys. really really helpful. check back in a few days when i have my list ready, im going to need you insite there too

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer View Post
    Wrong way around - they significantly increase your chance of attacking yourself. Most Daemon Weapons roll 1d6 for attacks, and hurt the user on a 1. The Khorne one rolls 2d6, and if either of them roll a 1, the Lord hurts himself. So, that's roughly a 1/3 chance of him not being able to attack and hurting himself each assault phase.
    Which is a stupid mechanic. If a daemon weapon wielder rolls a 1, he should simply take a wound with no armor save, and be resigned to his normal stat attacks. Does any other army in the game have something that cripples them in cc for 1 bad random roll?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast