BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default 500 pt turni list for Dark Angels

My local game store is having a 500 pt turni next month. Ist being played on 4x4 tables and standard FOC applies. Now im sure there are better dexs to use but im stubbern and im gonna play my Angels. It will be a challange but that will make victory all the sweeter. Im pretty limited with choices but I came up with 2 lists. In your opinion which do you think is better.
    List 1 Greenwing
    Hq Interrogator Chaplain
    W/ plasma pistol, melta bombs
    Troop
    5 tac
    W/ flamer, power weapon
    in TLHB raz
    5 tac
    W/ melta, melta bombs, plas pistol
    In TLLC raz
    Or
    List 2 Ravenwing
    Hq
    Samual in land speeder (Av 14)
    Troop
    3 bikes
    W/ 2 melta, melta bombs
    3 bikes
    W/ 2 flamer, melta bombs, power weapon
    Now both lists aren't bad but there is only so much you can do with 500pts. I tried to balance the load-out with 1 anti-horde unit and 1 anti-tank.
    List 1 advantages. has more models, a good hq that gives fearless to units its with, and 2 razorbacks. Disadvantages tacs arnt very tough and with low # dont have much staying power. Similar lists will be fielded probly cheaper. So most likely I would be really hope'n for first turn.
    List 2 advantages. Probly unique, AV 14 vehical will be very tough to crack, very fast, leadership 10 the whole army is fearless, and relentless
    Disadvantages. Very small model count.
    Let me know what you think. Which would you choose?

Librarian

If I had to choose between the two, I'd choose the Ravenwing. The 12" move and shoot and assault gives you range and a heavily improved threat bubble vs others. I would probably make a minor change by making the melta and flamers one each to the two units. If you can, replace the melta bombs with powerfists but I realize that at this points level that is difficult. if I had to drop anything, the very first would be the flamers simply because without AT you won't get to a lot of the infantry anyway.

Tactics with an army this small are to avoid close combat wherever possible and focus on shooting. Every successful shot with the melta is going to be a relatively huge success. Don't be afraid to completely avoid combat (of any sort) for a round if it means keeping your guys alive. Focus on killing tanks and similar. AV14 will be a blessing and a curse, but use it where it's needed most. Don't be afraid to tie up large squads with it where possible.

My thoughts:
    Biggest threat: Orks and Genestealer cult Tyranids. Large numbers and they WILL kill you utterly in CC if they can connect (much easier to do on a 4x4)

Best matchup: Grey Knight Paladins/Termies. They can't easily hurt AV14 in CC without a hammer. Also, you are going to get lots of instant death wounds with those melta guns. Make sure to turbo on to the field, or even take turn 2 and reserve onto the board so that they can't DS and shoot you to death.

Im kinda leaning tword the Ravinwing my self.
    Samual is AV 14 on front and sides but AV 10 in back. Hes a good fast support platform. CC not so much.
    It wont change the points to switch around the bike squads. I have found you cant relie on 1 melta to crack tanks. The melta bombs are a last resort. I may be able to use both squads to surround rhinos an razs. Melta the trans if you pop it flame the crap out of the soon to be dead stuff inside. If you wreck it the unit cant evacuate and is insta killed. I think with horde armies play keep-away shooting as much as posible out of assault range and if I have no resort assault first.

Maybe drop the flamers and combine them into one squad? You can still combat squad them for two scoring units, and if you drop 1 melta bomb and the PW, have enough points for a scoring attack bike with either MM or HB, your choice.