BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 142 1231151101 ... LastLast

Default Superhero Comics 101

My brothers and I are thinking about extending our geekiness into one of the traditional avenues, namely superhero comics. Batman, Spiderman, X-men that sort of thing. Thing is we have no idea where to start there being so much stuff published.

So, advice? Where does one begin with starting an interest in comics?
    Last edited by eldargal; 09-30-2011 at 09:10 AM.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

First-Captain

DC just started from scratch with their 52 event so it is a prefect time to jump in with them but the first few titles are already going for silly money but their are 2nd and 3rd edition reprints available. I say give them a go. Marvel is boring me at the minute to be honest. I think there are only a couple of their titles I like right now.
    The new spiderman with a new kid under the mask is just out aswell.

Banned

[URL="http://www.comics101.com/"]http://www.comics101.com/[/URL]

Seriously!

Other options are the various wikis, and checking out blogs and whatnot. With [URL="http://dcwomenkickingass.tumblr.com/"]DC's recent reboot[/URL] it's a good time to get intotheir comics, though DC has become [URL="http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/09/22/starfire-catwoman-sex-superheroine/"]even more horribly mysogynistic and clueless recently[/URL], so whether or not you want to get into their comics is another thing.

Asking around about good trade paperback collections/runs is a good way to geek out - I don't buy comics per se, but I do have quite a few TPBs. I recently got Amanda Connor's run on Power Girl and it's awesome, fun, funny and most importantly self contained.

Marvel's been pretty quiet lately, but they do have Chris, "Dr McNinja" Hastings writing Deadpool so that's always good.

Eww, that DC stuff really is revolting. And people complain about Mass Effect oversexualising women.

I'm reading the Comics 101 (lol, really) stuff on Batman now to get some idea of where to start, thanks for posting that.

We're really all quite clueless, its embaressing. Thus far our only exposure to these has been a few comics gifted to us in the '90s and Batman: Arkham Asylum. Oh and the Batman and X-Men animated series, and the Adam West Batman series of course. But they aren't comics.

Edit: So, after reading some of the 101 articles (on Batman thus far) I'm thinking we might start with Batman: Hush. I've also had Batgirl/Batwoman and Supergirl recommended, still figuring out where to start with those.
    Last edited by eldargal; 09-30-2011 at 10:13 AM.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Adeptus Custodes

If you like Grim Dark then Judge Dredd has it in absolute spades.

One great comic book author is Garth Ennis: His work is very Dark but also hilarious I can't recommend preacher highly enough. If you want something more superheroy his latest work "The Boys" is great.

Dan Abnett has also done some comics in his time such as Sinster Dexter if you want something from soneone you know already.

The fables series is also very good

edit you want more 101 stuff- Marvel did a series called marvel ultimates that does starts off its characters again in a modern era with similar stories, its worth a look for entry level stuff.
    Last edited by Grailkeeper; 09-30-2011 at 03:49 PM.
    More Necromunda please.

First-Captain

If you want iconic---Definitely Frank Milller's Batman stuff-Dark Knight Returns specifically, and Alan Moore's Batman: The Killing Joke.

I got into the X-Men as a youngster (in the 170's+) and that was a good period to start. It got silly in the 90's. (much like the rest of the comic market at the time...)

Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, V for Vendetta & Watchmen were all fantastic.

Frank Miller's run on Daredevil was really good. As was Kevin Smith's (Clerks fame) take on both Daredevil and also Green Arrow. (Quiver has perhaps Batman's best verbal slam ever written.)

Miller's Sin City isn't "superhero," but it is fantastic. As is 300.

Joss Whedon's creation "Astonishing Xmen" was also very good--and very Joss.

Hellblazer and Sandman were two of my favorite DC titles.

Mike Grell's Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters

And, probably my favorites to this day: Matt Wagner's original Mage and his various Grendel runs.

The one caveat I have about The Boys is that it's written by Garth Ennis, who swore never to do a superhero comic. And well, he didn't. It's rapaciously violent, overtly sexual, and at times fairly misogynistic. For all that--it's really well written. However, probably not the best thing to start with. Or at all, depending upon your graphic/literary tastes.

Edit: EG--if you're going to start with Batman--Batman: Year One would probably be your best bet. But do try the others recommended as well.
    Last edited by scadugenga; 09-30-2011 at 08:06 PM.

Thanks for the recommendations. We're hoping to start with a mix of the classic superheroes plus some X-Men and perhaps some of the teams like Avengers to begin with. I've also bought a couple of copies of Comics 101 for my brothers and I to read.

I'm not sure 300 would be a good bet, as a student of history and archaeology. I get cranky enough watching History Channel stuff.

So, currently looking for a super comics store in London, but the to buy list looks like:

Batman: Hush
    Batman: Year One
    Dark Knight Returns
    Batman: The Killing Joke
    Batgirl, Batwoman and Supergirl (DC52 series)
    Astonishing X-Men

Just missing Spiderman and Superman for mainstream ones a far as I know.

First-Captain

Big boobed comic women are a win in my book.
    Sorry.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations. We're hoping to start with a mix of the classic superheroes plus some X-Men and perhaps some of the teams like Avengers to begin with. I've also bought a couple of copies of Comics 101 for my brothers and I to read.

I'm not sure 300 would be a good bet, as a student of history and archaeology. I get cranky enough watching History Channel stuff.

So, currently looking for a super comics store in London, but the to buy list looks like:

Batman: Hush
    Batman: Year One
    Dark Knight Returns
    Batman: The Killing Joke
    Batgirl, Batwoman and Supergirl (DC52 series)
    Astonishing X-Men

Just missing Spiderman and Superman for mainstream ones a far as I know.
    Oh, 300's just guilty pleasure reading, to be sure. Don't try reading it in any other light, or your brain will hurt...

Once you get through your Dark Knight fix--do give Mage a try. The original series is beyond fantastic.

And Astonishing X-Men may be better enjoyed if you have a bit of knowledge about the cast of characters beforehand. There's no origin-stories for the newcomer there. Just a FYI.

Nothing wrong with big boobed women, the issue is with the way the women are depicted. They are supposed to be intelligent, independent strong women, so why are they talking like sluts in a 13 year old boys wet dream? Really, read the dialogie in the panels shown in that article, it is nauseatingly bad.

Quote Originally Posted by energongoodie View Post
    Big boobed comic women are a win in my book.
    Sorry.
    Well, I watched the X-Men animated series in the 90s, does that help?
    Quote Originally Posted by scadugenga View Post
    Oh, 300's just guilty pleasure reading, to be sure. Don't try reading it in any other light, or your brain will hurt...

Once you get through your Dark Knight fix--do give Mage a try. The original series is beyond fantastic.

And Astonishing X-Men may be better enjoyed if you have a bit of knowledge about the cast of characters beforehand. There's no origin-stories for the newcomer there. Just a FYI.

Page 1 of 142 1231151101 ... LastLast