BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 126 of 142 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126127128136 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,260 of 1415

I've only ever had Mormons try to convert me. Which ended unsatisfactory for them, because I actually knew the Bible and could explain to them thoroughly why I held the beliefs I have, how they mesh with the message of Christ (and I'm not worried about Paul, the OT, or that fanfic known as Revelation), and why it means I wouldn't be interested in joining their church. I don't think they come across many people who can actually hold an informed discussion on religion, so when they do meet such a person, they're not very prepared for it.

Haven't had any LGBT people try to convert me, but then again, I'm not sure why they'd want to unless they were actually attracted to me, and that's clearly not an issue. Was hit on by a guy once, but he got the hint faster than I did. (Still ashamed I actually missed the innuendo there. Being hit on by a guy? Not a problem, I'll just politely decline. Not realizing he wasn't talking about actual smoking methods but rather something else? That one brings me great shame and dishonor.)

And then there's a beautiful meshing of the two, where my friend keeps trying to spread The Gay Agenda in Civ V, and gets frustrated I won't vote for it as a world religion when I'm trying to convert people to Hentai Voodooism instead. Also, I won't forgive that damn treachery at Vienna.

On the core thread topic of superhero comics, I finally found where the off-fight scene from Civil War II takes place... in a comic handed out on Free Comic Book Day, which I unfortunately missed this year. A pivotal moment, and you won't read it unless you were at a comic shop on a certain day or can track down a copy. Meh. (For those who've read Civil War II issue 1 and were wondering, they explain a lot of the shape everyone's in by a mishap where Thanos throws Medusa into Rhodey, which sets off one of his shoulder rockets that hits She-Hulk in the chest and explodes hard enough to wreck and set fire to everything. Rhodey was wandering through the fire looking for She-Hulk when Thanos popped out and put his hand through Rhodey, which finally pissed people off enough to all unload on Thanos at once.)

- - - Updated - - -

Also, comics-related but maybe not superhero (or is?), I started reading The Infinite Loop this morning (part of Humble Bundle's current book deal). Pretty fun read so far. The art style is different, but in a good way. Kind of vibrant.

You kind of have to enjoy any comic that involves using a Roman throne as a hoverboard to surf under a t-rex.
    Critical statements above are not intended to promote negativity or dislike, they are meant to add to a discussion where the positive points have likely already been stated.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Charistoph View Post
    Way to brand without knowing someone.

What should I have to fear from them? I am a little disgusted by it, yes, but I feel that way about alcoholism and rage-maniacs, as well as any sex and explicit torture in media. I am also disgusted when they show open heart or joint surgery on PBS (I can almost feel it happening to me). Disgust and fear are not quite the same thing (though one can lead to the other, admittedly).
    Oh, the dictionary defence. Wonderful.

Anyways I'll put this here to point out how ridiculous that is:

No, but honestly, as an English major, there is nothing more hilarious than white/straight people who use the dictionary as their only defense.

You know what all my English professors have taught me? How useless the dictionary is, and how it could never reflect the intricacies of the relationship between language and culture.

The dictionary won’t save you. Sorry.

--

Ah, the classic “Oh, but the dictionary defines racism/sexism/{anything} as…”

Interesting from the perspective of a language major. Also, the “dictionary-definition” argument wouldn’t work for any subject if you study it at an advanced level.

You wouldn’t argue with a geneticist over the definition of a gene based on what is defined in the dictionary.

You wouldn’t argue with an astronomer over the definition of a black hole based on what is defined in a dictionary.

So why take a discussion on racism/sexism/oppression and boil it down to a dictionary definition of half a sentence?

In secondary school, at age 13, my answer to the question “What is a species?” was no more than a sentence, copied directly from the text book and corresponding to the dictionary definition.

At university, at age 21, my answer to the question “What is a species?” was a 2000-word essay which discussed different perspectives on the topic over the last hundred years.

When you bring in the dictionary definition to a discussion as a means of ending it, you are being nothing short of ignorant.
    Also:

[URL="http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/homophobia"]Definition of homophobia[/URL]
    : irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals
    As for why I feel you are? Well, you may think you're not but your words certainly paint the opposite case. For example you said:

I am a little disgusted by it, yes
    So, umm... yeah ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I mean honestly that really covers it right there, but in the spirit of thoroughly backing up what I'm talking about there's unironic reference to "the gay agenda", gayness being "shoved in your face" and "flaunted" (which from the context of how it came up seems to be "LGBT people being shown to exist publicly either in the real world or on TV or in movies") so, you know, seems pretty much like you're really against LGBT people.

Oh and for clarity you originally asked:

How many public lynchings or beatings outside of predominately Muslim areas have you read about recently?
    Bolding mine. I provided a bunch of incidents which you said didn't count because they weren't lynchings. So yeah, moving the goalposts on your own argument when I answered it. Not looking good.

There's also how you actually addressed what I posted:

Harassment and a little abuse you cannot even bring Assault charges for is hardly a lynching.
    Now if you'd clicked the link, or even read what I'd quoted you would have seen this:

And seen the words "Police said a 23-year-old man was arrested at Newtown police station on Tuesday afternoon and charged with affray" and that police are investigating the other attack. Hardly "harassment and a little abuse". Also, you didn't say only lynchings (as if it's excusable that it wasn't )

Woman is a jerk about PDA. Person still alive to post it to the internet. One woman is not a mob. I got grief from my wife's family about our PDA. This woman was just angrier.
    If, again, you'd actually read what I'd posted you'd have realised there was no provocation - the woman was attacked for going to work and being trans.

Assaulted, but without intention to kill. In most cases, not even enough to call the group a mob.
    What would a colloquial word for that be... it's on the tip of my tongue... oh I know where I saw the right one! Let me just get it...

beatings
    There we go. It works so well, just like that time you used it originally ^_^

And just because I like irony one last quote:

And thank you for not paying attention to the rest of the sentence.
    Though, on reflection, if it really upsets you to be called a homophobe I could call you a bigot and homophobic violence apologist instead

First-Captain

I've had a few gay men covet me, but none have managed to convert me to forsake all vaginas, no, I'm happy where I am.

So, did Christoph really defend his bigotry by saying its fine because none of the links he posted had any LBGT people being killed by hate groups? Like its fine for people to be insulted, assaulted and harmed as long as they can still draw breath afterwards?

I've seen attacks on gay men first hand, I've been in situations where my gay friends have been attacked in the street for no other reason than who they love. I've stood by them, fighting off attacks and waiting for police, who wont do anything to help, and that was in 2005 in the UK.

Wanting to be seen as equal isn't some insidious agenda, its wanting to not be terrorised for who you are. The fact that jumped up little idiots like Christoph can come here to call people (who happen to like others of the same sex which has happened since the very beginnings of human history) abnormal is proof of why there needs to be more education, because bigoted morons still exist and still think they can air their ****ing stupid opinions in public without any shame.

Also, you might want to consider AT LEAST doubling your estimate of the gay population, almost everyone credible out there thinks it's at least double the 5% you put.
    Last edited by Path Walker; 06-09-2016 at 03:46 PM.

Way to brand without knowing someone.

...I am a little disgusted by [the thought that homosexuals exist]
    In the very same breath you chastise one person for not knowing you, you call people disgusting without knowing them.

When I was in my mid-twenties, circumstances conspired to leave me briefly homeless. I was alone, my family lived 500 miles away, and I was f**king terrified. The people who first opened their doors to me? Were a gay couple. They let me live with them rent-free for three months. They shared their food with me, drove me to work, treated me like I was their family. We watched 'Doctor Who' together, played poker, and 'Soul Calibur II' and stayed up into the nights laughing. They turned what should have been a nightmare into one of the happiest times of my life; to this day, I like to think that's it's called 'being gay': because when the world hates you for what you are, the only way to deal with it is to laugh. When was back on my feet, I offered them money - enough to cover what they'd given me.

They turned me down flat, said never. Never. That when someone's on their last legs, it's your job to help them.

One of them was long-term unemployed due to clinical depression, so they didn't have anything, but they still refused to take my money, because they were two of the best souls it's ever been my privilege to know. Certainly two of the best I've ever been lucky enough to call friend.

But sure.

Be disgusted by them because they do stuff you'll never see, hear, or enjoy. Tell the rest of us how horrific they are, how wretched, how subhuman.

As you so eloquently put it, scientifically, they're f**king 'abnormal'.

Last edited by YorkNecromancer; 06-09-2016 at 03:30 PM.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Yeah... that wasn't ok. Have an issue with LBGTQ folks not acting how you think they should? Take your complaining somewhere else. Start that up again here and I'll ban your account.

Can we get this thread back onto comics, please and thanks?

Brother-Captain

Have Hawkeye and Spider-Man having arguments about burgers in the middle of combat, much to their teammates' frustration.

[url=http://richardgrays0n.tumblr.com/post/145312311007/spidey-and-hawkeye-discussing-burgers-at-five]Source[/url]
    Kabal of Venomed Dreams

So... on the original topic, and the topic that it got turned into (maybe briefly?)... I finished up The Infinite Loop last night. It's a fun story, can be a tad bit confusing at times (but that's a side effect of being a time-"travel" story, they always get complicated), but still easy enough to follow along. The ending (such that it is) ends up taking the subtext and removes all subtlety from it, but that seems like it was a lot of the point.

Basic summary: Main character (Teddy, and the name actually has a meaning revealed in the story) is part of a team of people in the future who go back through time and wipe out "anomalies" to keep the timeline clean and pure and all that. But then she ends up in a certain location and time (I believe it's Stonewall?), and comes across an anomaly that happens to be a person, who she gives the name Ano. They fall in love, but it's the agency's job to wipe out anomalies, so she has to pretty much fight the system to keep her love.

The "Infinite Loop" is, if I'm getting the story-within-the-story right, the cycle of different groups being oppressed for being different, whether for religion, gender, sexuality, or just having been created out of thin air and dumped somewhere in time.

There's parts that make you think, and parts that are just amusing. I.e. when they come across a person wearing a suit I cannot find the words to describe (it's really tough) and there's an exchange:

"But we do have an eyewitness."
    "Who? The drunk he-she in circus lesbian costume over there?" (Note: that's one of the bad guys. Obviously.)
    "With all due respect, sir, I believe this outfit is rather a tribute to David Bowie."
    "Tomayto, tomahto."
    (Ouch.)

And there's a literally gender-fluid anomaly who keeps switching from a girl to a boy (the only hints are a visual effect and the hair changes length in some places), has the body of a child (around 10-12 years?), and swears and spits out sarcasm with pretty much every sentence.

Toward the end, they give up on all subtlety and us a scene of Teddy traveling through time to drop quotes from various figures in history (Susan B. Anthony, Malcolm X, Harvey Milk), and wrap up with a pretty clear message: Don't let other people try to hold you down for who you are or make you hate who you are, be proud of who you are and fight for the rights of all people, because if you let someone abuse one type of people, that's an approval of them abusing all types of people.

So yeah, as a comic and a social commentary, it works both ways.

But yeah, be careful reading it in public. Ano seems to have an issue keeping a top on early on, and there is a scene where introduces Teddy to certain means of enjoyment. That's the most respectful way I can put that. (Brief scenes, that help to set the story a bit more, but you probably don't want to explain them to someone seeing the page over your shoulder.)
    Critical statements above are not intended to promote negativity or dislike, they are meant to add to a discussion where the positive points have likely already been stated.

EDIT

Hmm, the post I replied to is gone. So much for putting together a reasoned response.

Never mind, back to the action.

Chapter-Master

Got this in the post this morning :

So much cooler than the husband.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

I've started reading the classic She-Hulk run by Dan Slott from about a decade ago, a few issues in to volume one and it is living up to its reputation, very good indeed. I hope she gets a new ongoing after Civil War II clears up because she deserves it.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!