BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 124 of 142 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126134 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,240 of 1415

Quote Originally Posted by Charistoph View Post
    True. But also in consideration he was quite Cyborg by the Secret Invasion, so having body damage like that and relying on Starktech to continue is rather consistent.
    Sure, but I was more griping about how Civil War II starts off with Thanos putting his fist *through* Rhodey in an off-screen fight. The dude somehow survives getting his armor taken from him and blown up (with Tony's armor), only to die almost immediately?

Granted, he's still featuring in that Invincible Iron Man story arc, which is part of the "Road to Civil War II"... which means it might be happening before a comic it's running alongside? (But then, since his armor was lost there, it makes it harder to explain his line in CW2 to Tony about having castoff armor, since he'd have to have a newer set.)

They might not be as concerned with continuity as I am.
    Critical statements above are not intended to promote negativity or dislike, they are meant to add to a discussion where the positive points have likely already been stated.

Banned

Another thing to consider with the Agent Carter series. This is based in the 40s and 50s. Women were just starting to break barriers. The thought of "colored" people doing the same was still "heretical" to the time as well. As for LGBT? No matter how bad any of them think today is (and it isn't really that bad, relatively speaking), people were lynched for being seen doing that type of behavior (unless you were powerful and in "the club").
    That doesn't mean they didn't exist?

Also definitely looking into the camera like I'm on the office at "No matter how bad any of them think today is (and it isn't really that bad, relatively speaking)"

If Angela was dropped due to lagging sales, why are Drax and several other male lead titles which sold consistently worse than Angela still being continued? There is also the fact they spectacularly failed to market it, or make a fuss about it at all despite it being one of the most progressive and well written comics they had.

also in 1953 40% of the CIA were women, and many US police departments had similar ratios of women, and the military (I don't know about intelligence services) at that time was a [URL="http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/5/25/1094817/-Remembering-LGBT-History-How-World-War-II-Changed-Gay-and-Lesbian-Life-in-America"]relative haven for LGBT people[/URL].
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    If Angela was dropped due to lagging sales, why are Drax and several other male lead titles which sold consistently worse than Angela still being continued? There is also the fact they spectacularly failed to market it, or make a fuss about it at all despite it being one of the most progressive and well written comics they had.
    I'd expect Drax to get the axe eventually. I think they figured it might have a shot since he's in the Guardians of the Galaxy movie, but I don't think that's enough to carry it.

It *is* unfortunately possible that Angela got killed off because, if they continue, people might ask when we'll get to see Thor's sister show up in a Thor movie. Personally, I'd prefer her own movie (actually, I'm still wishing for a series involving her and Sera trying to make a "normal" life as a couple in New York, trying to teach Leah about life and all, and dealing with the craziness that follows an Asgardian-turned-angel and an angel who rejected her society hardcore). But heck, just put her in a Thor movie. Give us Heven and Hel in those movies. If they're so worried about her relationship, hold that for her own movie.

As for failing to market it... Honestly, I wouldn't know a lot of their series exist without checking a website that lists weekly releases. And they don't help things by charging as much for digital issues as physical issues. Maybe if they only charged $2 for a digital issue, people would buy more that way, and that'd help sell some series that aren't showing up in physical stores.

- - - Updated - - -

also in 1953 40% of the CIA were women, and many US police departments had similar ratios of women, and the military (I don't know about intelligence services) at that time was a [URL="http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/5/25/1094817/-Remembering-LGBT-History-How-World-War-II-Changed-Gay-and-Lesbian-Life-in-America"]relative haven for LGBT people[/URL].
    That reminded me of a scene from London Spy (d'oh, still need to finish it... I'm bad about miniseries)... The old guy who's friends with the main character talks about his time in England's spy agency, during the 60s IIRC, and basically said they were doing witch hunts to purge the ranks of anyone who was gay. It was a pretty grim description.

Also... The CIA is an intelligence service, so was that meant to be a separate thought forming with "and the military..."?
    Critical statements above are not intended to promote negativity or dislike, they are meant to add to a discussion where the positive points have likely already been stated.

Yes, I was addressing each entity separately to illlutrate that diversity was not as bad in some ways as frequently assumed across these institutions.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Yes, I was addressing each entity separately to illlutrate that diversity was not as bad in some ways as frequently assumed across these institutions.
    Coolio, just wanted to make sure I was reading that right.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gotthammer View Post
    That doesn't mean they didn't exist?
    Not saying they didn't. Bible is sufficient proof of that. But shoving it in to people's faces? No. It would have been kept on the extreme down low.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotthammer View Post
    Also definitely looking into the camera like I'm on the office at "No matter how bad any of them think today is (and it isn't really that bad, relatively speaking)"
    And thank you for not paying attention to the rest of the sentence. How many public lynchings or beatings outside of predominately Muslim areas have you read about recently? Heck, if a man was known as gay in the early 80s, not only was his job in danger, he could be beaten just for being on the street (not legally, but some police would not have been quick to follow up on it).

Compare that to the gay pride parades we have today, it isn't that bad. Could it be better? Probably. But when statements are made in comparison, it is wise to remember where that comparison is coming from.

Banned

Not saying they didn't. Bible is sufficient proof of that. But shoving it in to people's faces? No. It would have been kept on the extreme down low
    That still doesn't mean they couldn't have included it. Like Carol is a movie about two women falling in love set in the 50's based on a book written at the time so it's not like they couldn't have done it. And the advantage of modern cinema techniques is that one can show scenes that take place in public and in the privacy of one's home! So romantic scenes need not be "shoved in people's faces". In fact I believe most aren't, even when it's the straights.

How many public lynchings or beatings outside of predominately Muslim areas have you read about recently?
    [URL="http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/man-charged-over-assault-of-transgender-woman-at-town-hall-hotel-in-newtown-20150609-ghkafz.html"]Trans woman bashed at Town Hall Hotel in Newtown[/URL].

Musician Stephanie McCarthy, 43, told police she was preparing to perform with her band at the hotel about 11.30pm on Friday when a group of men began menacing her.

"There was four or five of them following me around, yelling 'f*ggot' at me," she told Fairfax Media. "One of them kept deliberately bumping into me. I had my ponytail pulled a couple of times."

About an hour later the situation turned violent, and Ms McCarthy claims she was held down and repeatedly punched in the face.

[URL="http://musicfeeds.com.au/news/thousands-will-rally-keep-newtown-weird-safe-queer-man-bashed/"]Queer man bashed in Newtown[/URL]

The suburb of Newtown in Sydney’s inner-west has long prided itself on being a bastion of alternative culture, where those who identify as being a little bit quirky or different could walk through the streets and feel safe, at home, among friends.

But there’s been a palpable change in the air over the past year or so. Sure, walk down King Street and you’ll still see its idiosyncratic charms on full display, but there’s also a feeling of nervous tension that never used to be there.

That’s because of a spike in violent assaults, like the one that just happened to Isaac Keatinge – a 25-year-old who identifies as queer – who was allegedly beaten bloody by a group of men after going out wearing makeup and a dress.

“It’s not the first time, just the worst time. I’ve been surrounded and pushed by groups of straight men before, so I didn’t expect it to escalate so quickly,’ Keatinge said. “My brother and father warned me that wearing dresses and makeup would ‘get me bashed’, I just didn’t think it would happen in Newtown.”

Hi. Everyone, it's Pearl :

I am an outreach social worker for Trans Latina network and an Asian transgender individual. Today is 4.28.16 Thursday. I work in big event for the center - the 8th annual immigration fare & culture event. Between 4:30-4:45 pm. I was on 6 train from Bronx to the LGBT center to work , when I change 6 train to 4 express train in 125 st station an unknown woman sitting across me starter to verbally abuse me. Make lot of **** comments about how much she hate Trans people and want me to suck her dick. She also made racist comments. I ignored her and kept reading my book.

When the train got to 86 st she start getting so loud and crazy yelling at me so I started to record her on my phone can- she start getting even louder and start assault me and hit me. As you can see it's definitely a hate crime. She attacked me inside the train . When I retreated she threw all my stuff on the floor and chased me around the train and say she is going to find a stick to hit me.

It was a crowded train and everyone heard it but no one helped me. Guys acting like nothing happened. For 5 min.

Then when the train stop on 42 st. She got out of train but keep yelling at me, I recorded 4 videos around 3.5 min. Thanks to an older guy who helped me pick my stuff up and put it back my bag, and said sorry to me👍. So now you can understand what's happening in my everyday life. That happens all the time. But it's my first time recording it. 😅

....Well she has a lot to learn . She need education to how to respect, learn not to be discriminatory against the Trans Community . I am so sad for her children. Have that kind of mother to teach them to grow up to be bigoted *******s
    [URL="http://mic.com/articles/142537/trans-woman-attacked-on-nyc-train-for-riding-while-trans"]Pearl said she experiences harassment in public so frequently that at first she didn't find the assault out of the ordinary[/URL]. "It happens all the time basically," Pearl said. "I just walk away mostly, or I go to other room or other subway." This is the first time Pearl has recorded an incident of harassment.

But it wasn't until after Pearl posted the video on Facebook and received an outpouring of support that she realized how terrible the ordeal had been.

"I didn't know that it was that serious until people told me, because I've gotten used to it," Pearl said. "I thought, 'Oh, it was just another woman.' I didn't know until people told me that it was not right, that it was assault because it's happened for so long."

Besides attacking Pearl for her gender identity, the woman in the video hurled ethnic slurs at Pearl, who is Taiwanese.

"Whoever that mother****er is in Taiwan or Tokyo, **** y'alls emperor," the woman says.

[URL="http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/05/28/woman-had-her-genitals-mutilated-by-man-who-murdered-her-for-being-a-lesbian/"]Man who mutilated woman’s genitals and murdered her for being gay [/URL]

[URL="http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/06/03/four-arrested-in-homeless-trans-man-case/"]Four people have been arrested after a fatal stabbing of a homeless trans man.[/URL]

Amos Beede was found injured in an encampment near Burlington, Vermont on May 22. He had suffered multiple blunt force injuries to his face and head, causing internal bleeding, and numerous broken ribs. Although he was alive at the time, he later died in hospital.

[URL="http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/05/28/gay-man-says-he-was-assaulted-after-leaving-west-hollywood-gay-bar/"]Gay man says he was assaulted after leaving West Hollywood gay bar[/URL]

Despite Akridge not having reported his attack to the police, the West Hollywood Sheriff’s Department is looking into concerns of an increase in anti-gay violence in the neighbourhood.

[URL="http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/05/26/two-men-plead-guilty-to-violent-homophobic-and-racist-attack-on-gay-black-man/"]Two men plead guilty to violent, homophobic and racist attack on gay black man[/URL]

[URL="http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/02/11/trans-woman-attacked-on-nyc-subway-shares-photo-of-assailant/"]Trans woman attacked on NYC subway shares photo of assailant[/URL]

[URL="http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/05/24/police-hunt-suspects-following-horrific-attack-on-trans-woman/"]Police hunt suspects following horrific attack on trans woman[/URL]

[URL="http://www.advocate.com/crime/2016/4/10/gay-man-claims-he-was-victim-hate-crime-west-hollywood-video"]Gay Man Claims He Was Victim of Hate Crime in West Hollywood[/URL]

[URL="http://www.advocate.com/crime/2016/4/06/la-man-attacked-florida-burger-king-it-was-just-simple-kiss-video"]L.A. Man Attacked in Fla. Burger King: 'It Was Just a Simple Kiss'[/URL]

[URL="http://www.advocate.com/crime/2016/4/01/la-father-charged-killing-son-because-he-was-gay"]L.A. Father Charged With Killing Son Because He Was Gay [/URL]

[URL="http://www.advocate.com/crime/2016/2/23/witness-describes-cold-blooded-murder-his-gay-best-friend"]Witness Describes Cold-Blooded Murder of His Gay Best Friend[/URL]

Danny Robinson, 34, told the court that he pleaded with alleged murderer Elliot Morales, 36, to put down his weapon. “I was saying, ‘Why do you have to do this?’” the paper reported. “‘Are you going to shoot us out here in front of all these people? Put the gun down.’”

Robinson and his friend Mark Carson, 32, were out in New York City's historic West Village, a historically LGBT-friendly neighborhood that is also home to the legendary Stonewall Inn. Morales had allegedly shouted at the pair as they walked along Sixth Avenue, calling them "f*ggots" and "gay wrestlers" on May 18, 2013. Carson was angered by the comments and followed Morales to confront him. “It was Mark doing most of the talking,” Robinson reportedly recalled in court. “He was like: ‘You’re not going to do anything! You’re not going to do anything!’”

Moments later, Carson was shot.

According to the Times, prosecutor Shannon Lucey told the jury that Morales' only motive for the murder was the presumed sexual orientation of his victim. “Mark Carson was a total stranger to Elliot Morales, and he was killed for no other reason than because he was gay,”she told the jury. “No other reason.”

Lucey said Morales's hate-filled evening began with an antigay rant while in a car with two friends, and continued at a restaurant.

[URL="http://www.advocate.com/crime/2016/2/19/person-interest-held-alabama-bisexual-teens-death"]'Person of Interest' Held in Alabama Bisexual Teen's Death[/URL]

[URL="http://www.advocate.com/crime/2016/2/16/watch-chicago-gay-man-beaten-train-possible-hate-crime"]Chicago Gay Man Beaten on Train in Possible Hate Crime[/URL]

Ryan McCarthy, a Chicago native, says he simply sat down next to another male passenger on the commuter train Friday night, but then the man launched into a violent assault.

McCarthy says he did not make eye contact with the man, nor come into physical contact with him before the abuse began. But when he was shoved off his seat, the assailant reportedly told McCarthy that "no gays should sit next to him."

"It was so hateful, such a hate crime," McCarthy told WMAQ. "All I did was sit next to this passenger on this train. Immediately he pushed me off and started punching me in the face."

[URL="http://www.advocate.com/crime/2016/5/21/men-surround-attack-trans-woman-brooklyn"]Men Surround, Attack Trans Woman in Brooklyn[/URL]

[URL="http://www.advocate.com/transgender/2016/5/16/these-are-trans-people-killed-2016"]A list of the 13 trans people know to have been killed in the US this year[/URL] - Amos Beede, Mercedes Successful, Tyreece “Reecey” Walker, Keyonna Blakeney, Shante Issac, Quartney Davia Dawsonn-Yochum, Kedarie/Kandicee Johnson, Demarkis Stansberry, Maya Young, Veronica Banks Cano, Kayden Clarke, Jasmine Sierra, Monica Loera - tracking at the same rate as last year where 21 trans people were murdered.

“Meet my cousin Sarah. At 17, her future looks bright. She is in the top 10% of her class, runs cross-country and belongs to the National Honor Society and the debate team. She is also gay. Like any high school kids in a relationship, Sarah and her girlfriend wanted to go to prom together. But when they did that, Sarah’s parents, who believe that homosexuality is a sin and abnormal, sent Sarah away against her will to an East Texas Christian boarding facility for troubled teens to “pray away the gay.”

Not only does this type of “therapy” not work, mental health professionals from organizations like the American Medical Association and the American Academy of Pediatrics have found it to be psychologically damaging, especially for minors. And Sarah has been told that she must stay in this facility for a whole year. So instead of being surrounded by friends and extended family who love and support Sarah for who she is, she’ll be isolated in a place where the fact that she is gay is treated as a sin and an illness. Instead of preparing for college and competing in the state debate tournament, she’ll be doing forced labor every day and enduring Bible-based “therapy” for her “disease.”

She is not allowed phone calls or email or any form of computer communication. She is also not allowed visitors and cannot leave the property. She is completely cut off from the outside world. She tried to run away, but was caught by the staff and returned to the facility.

Sarah’s extended family and close friends are trying to win her release through the legal system, but it’s not cheap. Attorney’s fees in the first few weeks have already exceeded $20,000, and they are continuing to mount, with a full hearing set for July. Sarah needs your help. But this is about more than just one gay kid – if we free Sarah we can help show that it’s not okay to try to make gay teens straight by sending them away and using the threat of God against them. [URL="https://www.gofundme.com/27v8gac"]A donation pool has been set up to help.
    [/URL]

Spread the word so being gay doesn’t mean losing freedom for Sarah. #savesarah.”

All from this year.
    Last edited by Gotthammer; 06-07-2016 at 03:14 PM.

Banned

Marvel Casts Michael Barbieri as Ganke in 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'

DAMN MARVEL
    BACK AT IT AGAIN WITH THE WHITE-WASHING
    I AM SO TIRED
    Here are the levels of ****ery with this casting. This character is Korean American as shown in the picture above. But this character belongs in the MILES MORALES universe. He is Miles’ best friend. So you take an Asian character who is significant in the Black Latino Spiderman’s Universe and make him white? FOH.

Brie Larson cast as Captain Marvel

The average age of the air force officer force is 34.7

Brie Larson is 26. Captain Marvel is currently a Colonel. She was a Major when she got her powers. The Air Intelligence info suggests the average age for a major would be 39.

You know who else is 39? Both Chadwick Boseman and Benedict Cumberbatch who are the next two new Marvel superheroes to get their own movies.

So why is it different for a lady character, @Marvel? I don’t mean to slam Brie Larson. I think she’s a great actress and is incredibly sweet to boot. But Wanda was referred to as “just a kid” in CACW and this would make Carol younger than her (Elizabeth Olsen is 27).

#I AGREE WITH THIS SO HARD #I WANT A CAROL WHO IS 38 AND 6 FEET TALL #WAIT #GUESS WHO IS 38 AND 6 FOOT 3??? #GWENDOLINE ******* CHRISTIE WHY IS SHE NOT CAPTAIN MARVEL YET #DISNEY CAN SHARE HER BETWEEN TWO PROPERTIES #I’M SURE THATS IN THE BYLAWS SOMWHERE #WHY MUST ALL OUR LADY HEROES BE LATE 20’S WAIFS?

#I want a hero who is PHYSICALLY able to go toe-to-toe with Captain America #I want Gwen Christie smirking down into Chris Evans’s face as she delivers the I OUTRANK YOU line #I want someone who is built like a brick sh!thouse #and could actually have BEEN IN THE MILITARY#please from @canmakedothink

Hmm. I have a few issues with that Ganke casting.

First of all, wrong color. Yes, I know, it's a different medium, and we've established that people think it's okay to change characters between media, but I disagree. Ganke should be Asian.

He's also WAY too skinny. Ganke in the comics even refers to his size and how it makes it harder for him to relate to others. So why the hell is this skinny kid playing a fat kid? (No offense in using the term, it's just accurate, and I don't use it to "body-shame.")

And Ganke is Miles Morales' friend. So why would he even be in the movie? Will they have Miles? And if so, how's that going to work?

If they're trying to create a NEW character to act in a Ganke-style role with Peter Parker (that is, someone who's a confidant and close friend), but isn't Ganke, that'd be fine. But that kid there is NOT Ganke.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, has the Brie Larson thing been confirmed? Seems people just started talking about it, and then Chris Evans said he'd be all for it, but I don't remember seeing anything official yet.