BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 120 of 142 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122130 ... LastLast
Results 1,191 to 1,200 of 1415

Marvel done jumped the shark... SPOILERS for Captain America: Steve Rogers below.

Apparently, they're now claiming Steve Rogers was recruited by HYDRA as a snot-nosed little nothing in the 1920s along with his mother, and they've had him working super-deep-cover this whole time. Because somehow they knew that having him act super-patriotic would lead to him eventually getting selected to be a super-soldier wearing the symbols of America and even named for the country, and constantly stopping HYDRA plots somehow helps them with their plans, in a long game that is going to pay off... some day? But Captain America, this symbolic character, has been a lie for 75 years. Yep. Makes perfect sense.
    Critical statements above are not intended to promote negativity or dislike, they are meant to add to a discussion where the positive points have likely already been stated.

Banned

Think this sums it up nicely:

Fans: give Steve a boyfriend

Marvel: we can't do that because it would totally go against 75 years of captain America lore and ruin the character but guess what WE DID in captain America: Steve Rogers #1!
    Also that his creators (Joe Simon and Jack Kirby) were Jewish people who were harassed over Captain America being outspokenly anit-Nazi when it wasn't the in thing in the US and because of anti-semitism, and then at the end of Jewish American Heritage Month, to celebrate 75 years of their creation, Marvel makes Cap a literal Nazi.

**** Marvel.

Chapter-Master

wait what? how?
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

That's what everyone is asking lol. This coming after the MCU has turned Scarlet Witch from Jewish Romani into a Christian played by a white actress.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Well, it's kind of weird to figure out. Because the flashbacks that I suppose are meant to set up the story actually portray events in America, so clearly Hydra wasn't just recruiting ****s, and wasn't just packed with ****s, in this new background story for Hydra.

Also, he's still making out with Sharon Carter in the comics. So in both the comics and movies, he's got a woman he's in love with. And the "Make Steve Gay" thing is, well, stupid. I doubt the outcry is even from any gay people, many of whom already have noted it's a stupid idea that people are just throwing out there because... I don't know, I guess they want to pretend to be "progressive" by trying to have a guy be so hardcore into hiding his sexuality that he went the opposite route for 75 years? And why do that? Oh, the Hydra thing you can claim "It's deep cover," but with being gay, it'd mean he remained ashamed of who he was for nearly eight decades, while trying to talk about a more unified America and being proud of who you are and all that. Just... no. It's unnecessary. It's the Internet being the Internet again. We have LGBT characters, if people really cared they should be asking for those people to get more "air time" (or "page time?").

Anyway, back to the actual comic... It's terrible. I finally got a chance to read it this morning. It's bad. Really bad. Maria Hill doesn't sound like herself at all, she sounds like some kid who got put in charge, rather than the no-nonsense woman with a stick up her rear at all times (no, Gamora, I have no idea how it got there). That attitude is a defining part of her character, and having her quip that a train exploding "looks cool on YouTube" or how a collage of news reports isn't too bad because it'll be replaced by NCIS at 9:00? It just feels so terribly out-of-place.

Then there's Red Skull giving Donald Trump speech (not even kidding, it sounds like they copied a speech from Trump), which somehow convinces people across the world to become suicide bombers and murder people and destroy things to fix society? It's like the author wanted to take a shot at Trump (fair enough, just do it in an appropriate medium) and used the comic to do so. But when the bad guy is saying stuff like, "Refugees are coming across borders and they're not being protected as is the nations' sovereign duty, and they're taking your women, jobs, and lives, and trying to take your way of life," stuff like that... How does that lead to trying to use a train to blow up train tracks used for commuter rail? Or museums, or government buildings?

And then Cap shows remorse and has an internal monologue about his comrade being a hero and not deserving to die as he shoves him out of a plane to his death. So, what, Cap's got these morals, but still works with a group without them?

Add in Baron Zemo acting like a dumbed-down Cobra Commander for extra effect. His attempts to start his own Hydra are played up as a comedy bit.

I doubt the story's going to stick. Or the author.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    That's what everyone is asking lol. This coming after the MCU has turned Scarlet Witch from Jewish Romani into a Christian played by a white actress.
    I need to get caught up on her personal comic, but there's a scene in New Avengers where Wiccan and Hulkling visit her, and even she notes how odd it is that he's using that name without actually being Wiccan, but offers to teach him about Wicca. It's like whoever created the character thought "Wiccan means male Witch, right?"

(Oh, hey, speaking of gay characters, that's a gay couple right there. One of whom is kind of King of Space, though he doesn't want to be. Which seems to be a running story with kings in Marvel.)
    Critical statements above are not intended to promote negativity or dislike, they are meant to add to a discussion where the positive points have likely already been stated.

Brother-Captain

Making Steve Rogers gay doesn't make sense, I agree. Making him bi definitely does. If you look at a lot of his interactions with Tony Stark over the years it looks a LOT like flirting (and they even married in the alternate universe where Tony was female!). The Captain America movies so far read in many places like a love story between Steve and Bucky and Steve and Sam. If Steve came out as bi, there would probably be quite a few characters who would not be shocked and would more likely make snarky remarks about how long it took him to realise/admit it.
    Kabal of Venomed Dreams

Bi would at least work. Not sure if they'll ever do it. But that's okay. They have characters who are gay, lesbian, bi, magically trans (still counts)... Just give them more time in the sun. Iceman, Wiccan/Demiurge and Hulkling, Angela and Sera, Miss America... Probably forgetting some.

With Steve, it's also rough to think of him hiding something like that, because if he does that while talking up "be who you are and be proud of it" and "everyone should be free to be themselves" and all these nice platitudes, but he's hiding part of him because he's either ashamed or afraid, that's a horrible look. Like, "See, even Captain America doesn't want people to know, so keeping it in the closet is cool." Just seems like an unhealthy message to send. They're already having to deal with that with Iceman's story.

In other news... I thought "Rebirth" would be a good opportunity to get (back) into DC comics. Nope. It's not so much a new start. Right off the bat it says "This comes after Justice League #50 and Superman #52, read those first." Okay, fine, I'll go back and do that. Oh, they're in the middle of two different storylines, both seem pretty significant, and both leave me even more confused. (JL features the League pretty much as gods - and when did Lex Luthor join them?!? - against Darkseid, and Darkseid's daughter, with some women who might have been Lois Lane showing up with a child who drained power from people with a reference to his father being a Luthor or something, though the child got used to bring Darkseid back after he was killed, and... Okay, I'll stop there. I think you get the point.) It's a confusing mess. I was excited to see the idea of the Watchmen being acknowledged finally, but trying to get caught up on multiple stories that make the brain want to explode doesn't seem feasible. Probably will save me money in the long run, I suppose.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    magically trans (still counts)...
    ehhhh... not really sure about that. Like it's not bad, but it's not good you know?

Quote Originally Posted by Gotthammer View Post
    ehhhh... not really sure about that. Like it's not bad, but it's not good you know?
    I think it counts. If people had the ability to use a magical device or spell to alter their bodies completely to what they'd prefer, rather than relying on surgery and/or medication to get as close as possible, I think they'd go for it. It's just a different means to the same end.

On the Chris Evans/Captain America thing... no, he doesn't seem amused with it. Don't blame him, either. It still makes no sense.

Evans-related... I watched Scott Pilgrim vs. the World [again] Sunday night, and it's weird to see him as such a douchebro in that movie. I kept trying to think of the same guy as Lucas Lee and Steve Rogers, and the two are just so far apart.

Probs not new to followers of the show, but seems no more Suicide Squad in Arrow.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks