BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 142 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Were they any good, or just for-children style stories?
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Were they any good, or just for-children style stories?
    Probably best stated as "aimed at children, but not dumbed down for children". I remember some of the writers for the show would do issues now and then.
    I'm thinking it'd probably turn out more like Daleks playing Quiddich. "It is the Potter!! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! " (someone I know on twitter)

So the shopping list as it currently stands is:

Batman: Hush
    Batman: Year One
    Dark Knight Returns
    Batman: The Killing Joke
    Batgirl, Batwoman and Supergirl (DC52 series)
    Astonishing X-Men
    Plus: 52New Catwoman, going to give it a try 'cos I like catwoman despite mixed reviews abot skankiness. Also she has dark hair, bit of a dissapointment after the lovely animated series Catwoman.
    52 Batman (just 'cos)

Maybe the 52 Superman and Detective Comics, not sure yet though. Advice?
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Grand Provost Marshal

I would highly suggest Kingdom Come by Alex Ross and Mark Wade. It's a fantastic piece with near photo-realistic artwork for the most part. The storyline is great, with the complexity of Dark Knight Returns without the Reagonian depression it shares with The Watchmen. Plus, it gets you some Superman.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Faultie View Post
    I would highly suggest Kingdom Come by Alex Ross and Mark Wade. It's a fantastic piece with near photo-realistic artwork for the most part. The storyline is great, with the complexity of Dark Knight Returns without the Reagonian depression it shares with The Watchmen. Plus, it gets you some Superman.
    Seconded.

The new Catwoman is going to be good I think. The last page of issue 1 made me go

I'll add it to the list, thanks.

Has the new 52 series improved any? I read about the earlier issues being criticised for having the heroines being a bit skanky, based on issue 1s from what I read. Is the new 52 Detective Comics any good?

First-Captain

I have read 39 of the 52, the others should be coming throught my door soon. I have enjoyed most of them.

Batman was excellent. Batwing had lovely art and being set in Africa gave it a different flavour scene wise.
    I thought the art in Catwoman was excellent.
    The ones I will definitely keep getting out of the 39 are: Batman, Justice League, Batwing, Catwoman, Detective Comics, Superboy, Red Hood And The Outlaws, Nightwing, Batman and Robin and Deathstroke. I suspect there will be some more when I get the next 13.

As far as skanky heroines....? Catwoman definitely. Starfire, yes. Other than that not so sure. Batwoman was tough and scary. Wonder Woman, Batgirl were as expected. Birds of Prey was a bit Girl power and dull.

When I get them all I might post a review on here, all though there are loads around I'm sure.

Well I might have to pick up Birds of Prey too then, being a bit of a female chauvinist.

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Well I might have to pick up Birds of Prey too then, being a bit of a female chauvinist.
    Bit of an odd warning: da Gwen!mom used to LOVE Birds or Prey to an insane degree, but then fell out of love when the current writer started doing it a few years ago. (and she's a bit fanatical about all things Batgirl)
    I'm thinking it'd probably turn out more like Daleks playing Quiddich. "It is the Potter!! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! " (someone I know on twitter)

About time I updated my quest for comic knowledge. I actually put in a big order with a comic store ages ago, like late year and promptly forgot about it. They did too apparently, until friday when I got a message telling me my stuff had arrived. So I'm now the proud owner of:

Batman: Hush
    New 52:
    Catwoman 1-6
    Batwoman 1-4
    Batgirl 1-6
    Batman 1-8
    Batman & Robin 1-4

Some bits are still on back order or something, namely Batman Year One, Dark Knight Returns and Birds of Prey 1-9 and the remaining issues from the series' I do have. Oh and Killing Joke and Astonishing X-Men. While I was there I took the opportunity to buy some of the more recent Black Widow comic compilations.

Some itty reviews:

Batman: Hush.
    This was really brilliant, I could hardly put it down. The story was compelling and the artwork was fantastic. The eponymous villain was also really creepy and genuinely engaging, and the denoument quite shocking.

Catwoman.
    Really enjoying this series, I had concerns about poor female characterisation based on some controvery over the New 52 series but I've not seen it in this series. Catwomans psychology and self destructive tendencies were very well handled and the art is lovely, particularly some of the fight scenes. Really looking forward to getting the rest of these

Batwoman.
    Enjoying the story, the format not so much. I keep finding myself reading things in the wrong order which I would put down to being a comci noob but I've not had this trouble with any of the others. I'm at a bit of a cliffhanger re: the fate of her sidekick so I'm looking forward to seeing how that is resolved. Also proud lesbian mainstream character = ftw, so not earns some brownie points right there. Found that the issue has been treated with great maturity and sensitivity, specifically it hasn't been treated as unusual orworthy of comment.

Batgirl:
    This one is a bit odd. I'm enjoying it for the most part, but there are some jarring things with the way it is written. Some huge leaps/gaps of logic (accusing Batgirl of murder because she failed to stop a murder), a completely bonkers cop holding a grudge against Batgirl for months for said 'murder', concluding things about the second villain based on very little evidence. Also the villains have been a bit lacklustre. Still I'm enjoying Batgirls emotional struggles and I think the character has a lot of potential.

Batman & Batman and Robin I've not read yet.

Black Widow.
    I've read the film tie in comics of Black Widow, they are ok, not great but not terrible. A lot of skanky dresses and fights with lots of cleavage which seems like a bit of fan service given what she was wearing in the films. I've only just started the compilations (BW: Name of the Rose) and it is shaping up very well, action, intrigue, conspiracy and much less decolletage.

Page 3 of 142 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast