BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shas'o Saki View Post
    Isn't a template weapon a bit of a waste for a BS 5 Shas'o??
    Because of how unique and powerful the weapons effects are against specific units, I try to only place the AFP in a single suit unit. The commander is the best choice because he can then take the other weapons that keep him adaptable to any situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas'o Saki View Post
    I personally find the Cyclic Ion Blaster to be a perfect weapon for my HQ.
    I have used the CIB several time and I am always underwhelmed. I jump up ad down when I kill a terminator with an ap1 shot, but I just cross my arms when I cause one ap4 wound and the marine makes his save.

The only thing I like about the CIB is the one I converted, so it still sees the light of day when I am feeling flashy.

Shas'o

I don't care for the AFP unless I'm fighting a horde army. The CIB on the other hand is good for both horde and space marines because of the chance of the AP 1, plus I just have better luck with the CIB.
    When you do something right people wont be sure that you've done anything at all.

Brother-Captain

Hmm... I think the best choice for Broadsides is either Advanced Targeting Array or Stabilisation System. The stabilisation means you can move and still fire the railguns, excellent for getting into better position, but the targetting array means you have considerably more chances of hitting, which is a big deal as they're your primary anti-heavy tank firepower. I don't go for multi-trackers as the missile pods aren't going to be any help against tanks, and the railguns won't be much help against infantry, so you can just choose between the two.

Chapter-Master

I am a big fan of the SMS commander with Frag Launcher. Then you have that guy just bouncing around the map, outta sight, making pot shots at all sorts of stuff.

did someone mention a positional relay?

I LOVE the positional relay! I never leave home without it. and when I do, I equip it to one of my broadsides. Nothing beats almost total control over reserves.

and SMS commander with frag launcher? great setup. pinning with denial of cover? yes please.

Fly Lord

A couple more games in...

You guys were right, the target locks on the broadsides are so handy during games.

I still like stealths, just for the sheer amount of mobile shots they put out, but they do require a delicate touch.

What's your take on seeker missiles? Worthwhile, or frivilous use of points? Also, do you hoard them, or burn through them right off the bat?
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Shas'o

I've been playing around with two seeker missiles on my pathfinders devil fish. I keep the fish empty so it goes relatively unnoticed the whole game. I like to keep them around for safety since rail guns get a lot of attention, and when tanks and dreadnaughts are trying really hard to stay out of LoS.

Consider putting a marker light and or a marker drone with the stealth suits. I like to keep this unit on my weak flank since the marker lights make it a great bait unit that is hard to pin down and with the seeker missiles you don't have to worry to much about armor.

Did you use the positional relay and if so how did it work for you?

P.S. It would be great to see Tau in a battle report.
    When you do something right people wont be sure that you've done anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigred View Post
    A couple more games in...

You guys were right, the target locks on the broadsides are so handy during games.

I still like stealths, just for the sheer amount of mobile shots they put out, but they do require a delicate touch.

What's your take on seeker missiles? Worthwhile, or frivilous use of points? Also, do you hoard them, or burn through them right off the bat?
    my prianhas always carry seeker missiles. Zip them around with a tetra and you got yourself a nice little unit that can target a tank in second turn and take it out with a side armour shot. But if you use them in conjunction with a Skyray and no tetra, you can still lase the same target and still get that side armour.

Anything that can move 24" and deliver a punch to a target that's on the other side of the board is always helpful.
    Last edited by Uncle Nutsy; 10-15-2011 at 11:51 PM.

Fly Lord

Hey, I'm wondering if any of you Tau experts would be game for a little experiment.

We would like to give the codex some long needed frontpage love with a couple of article on how to use the army in the current setting of the game. I would imagine the following articles:

1) "Its a Hard Knock Live" Playing Tau for The Greater Good
    -This is a bsic primer on what the army is, and isnt. why it is still fun to play and what it offers to both new and veteran players that makes it unique. Finally a shoret rundown of general strenghts and weaknesses versus the various armies out there and suggestions on how to win versus them (these parts are at most 2-3 sentences per army)

2) 40K Tactics: Dirty Tricks for the Greater Good - A Tau's gotta do what a Tau's gotta do!
    - This is a simple top ten list of good units/wargear and what they are used for. A decent spread of utility scoring to assasination, to anything in between along with an example of how to use each is ideal.

You guys can start a new thread in tactics and PM me, or just PM me. I think having several of our dedicated Tau members work cooperatively would give us the best results, and of course, I will give full credit to the original authors on the frontpage post.

Believe me guys, I would write these myself, but a Tau expert I am not...

-Larry
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12