BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fly Lord

Default Tau Help Needed for Bigred!

OK, so I'm so sick and tired of waves of Grey Knights, Wolves and other "top armies" I've decided to play for the love for a few months - using Tau.

I have an old beautifully painted Tau army and want to just have fun with my toy soldiers darnit!

Here's my current 2000pt list.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Commander Shas'O - Missile, Plasma, Multi-tracker -184pts
    Bodyguard - Missile, Plasma, Multi-tracker

Stealthsuits (6) - Burstcannons -180pts

Fire Warriors (10) - 5 Carbines -195pts
    Devilfish - Disruption Pod, Multi-tracker

Fire Warriors (10) - 2 Carbines -100pts

Fire Warriors (10) - 2 Carbines -100pts

Piranha (2) - 2 Fusion Blasters -130pts

Drone Squadron (8) -96pts

Pathfinders (8) - 3 Railrifles -246pts
    Devilfish - SMS, Disruption Pod, Multi-tracker, Targeting Array

Hammerhead - Railgun, SMS, Disruption Pod, Multi-tracker, Target Lock -180pts

Broadsides (3) - Multitracker -225pts

--------------------------------------------------------

So this is my default "meat and potatoes" list with minimal squad upgrades and more of the basics. Modelwise, I own 36 fire warriors - 24 rifles 12 carbines, explaining the troops armament.

So what's your take on how to tune this guy up with minimal new models required (try to limit it to under 10 if you must). I've taken a CSM player by complete surprise so far, and tabled him as he clawed his way on foot to me after having all his vehicles knocked out in quick order.

My general thoughts so far, are possibly I'm running too many fire warriors, or perhaps in a bad squad organization - but I do like having troops for objective management. Also, the army seems to have two big things going in its favor:

1) No one remember what the heck Tau do anymore
    2) 5 Railguns scare people

Have at it gang.
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Shas'o

First off I would lose the two fire warriors with carbines in both squads and replace with a shas'ui and markerlight since I just love me some markerlights. If you just have to take stealthsuits I would also lose one in favor of a marker light or marker drone.

I do like your pathfinder squad with the railrifles, nice touch.

I would also make some room to put some seeker missiles on the piranha. I know most people don't like them but I find they help immensely in times of need.

I would also find some points to put a positional relay on one of your shas'o to bring in the stuff on a 2+ and making sure that nothing else that you need to stay in reserve comes out. This coupled with your pathfinders devil fish makes a devastating combo.

All in all I like where you're going with this list since it seems close to a list I would make. I'm gonna sleep on it and see what else I can think up to help you out. Also, what do you have XV8 wise?
    Last edited by JxKxR; 10-01-2011 at 11:33 PM.
    When you do something right people wont be sure that you've done anything at all.

Battle-Brother

Nice to see someone else playing Tau.

For starters I'd drop the multi-tracker and targeting array from your Devilfish and stick some Flachette Dischargers on your Piranhas. A tactic I use all the time is to Turbo Boost my Piranhas straight at the enemy my first turn. They still get a cover save and can only be hit in close combat on 6s and the added bonus of dropping the odd Gray Knight or Terminator from a shuriken to the eye is priceless.

Also I'd swap out the Multitrackers on your broadside and get two Target locks and a drone controller plus some drones. If you place them right your Broadsides shouldn't need to shoot anything close enough to also require Smart Missiles and a few drones can mean the difference between your tank killing suite taking a lascannon round a cheap robot.

Brother-Captain

Do away with the false beliefs of rail rifles, all hail to the glorious markerlight! May it light your Fire Warriors paths to BS5 S5 AP5 firepower!

Fly Lord

More tips please gang, and THANK YOU!

I'm intrigued by the Positional Relay. I have the Piranhas, the Suits, and the mounted Firewarrior squad that I might commonly keep in reserve. Lets hear some of your standard tricks for maximizing the Positional Relay.

Overall my thoughts on the Devilfish - is the Firewarrior's is a cheaper schoolbus, while the SMS one from the Pathfinders is probably spending more time empty skulking around causing trouble from outside of LoS. I guess it would be the ideal place to stick some Seeker Missiles if I decided to go that way...

Fly Lord

Here's the slightly tuned list so far based on feedback:

Here's my current 2000pt list.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Commander Shas'O - Missile, Plasma, Hard-wired Multi-tracker, Positional Relay -199pts

Stealthsuits (6) - Burstcannons -180pts

Fire Warriors (6) - 2 Carbines -145pts
    Devilfish - Disruption Pod

Fire Warriors (10) - 100pts

Fire Warriors (10) - 100pts

Piranha (2) - 2 Fusion Blasters -130pts

Drone Squadron (8) -96pts

Pathfinders (8) - 3 Railrifles -246pts
    Devilfish - SMS, Disruption Pod, Multi-tracker, Targeting Array

Broadsides (3) - Multitracker(2), Drone Controller (1) w/(2) Gundrones -240pts
    --------------------------------------------------------

Basically, stripped down the mounted Fire Warrior group to be a scoring unit mainly, and squeezed in a Positional relay, and the Pair of Gundrones on the Broadsides. It feels like it has a couple more tricks up its sleeve for managing objectives/reserves.

Shas'o

I like to have a Shas'el in reserve with Fusion blaster, shield generator, iridium armor, and shield drones, that I can precision deep strike in with the help of a positional relay and the pathfinders devil fish. He is damn tough to get rid of and I have used him to great effect. This guy can really screw with an enemies backfield and game plan.

I would also split up the piranhas but that's just me.I like to hold a few piranhas in reserve for late turn objective contesting. Or you could drop the Gun drone squad and add another piranha and once the piranha come out deploy their gun drones. Not sure what you have planned for the gun drones though.

I'd like to hear what your plans are for the stealth suit team.
    When you do something right people wont be sure that you've done anything at all.

Banned

I don't go anywhere with a Shas'O armed with a missile pod, fusion blaster, and airbursting fragmentation projector.

I love killing almost an entire squad of warriors or guardsmen when they are cowering in a crater is quite satisfying. You can even deploy him from your edge as he can fire his missile pod while closing the distance. The fusion blaster is great for murdering dreadnoughts that think uppercutting your HQ is a good idea.

Also, consider two target locks on the broadsides. 3 railgun should definitely kill a transport, but those three shot at three different targets might kill three transports.

Veteran-Sergeant

Stealth Suits are, according to most people, utter garbage. I, on the other hand, think they are a great flavourful and useful unit.
    The way I set up my fellas when I'm playing 40k (though I do play very little 40k these days), is as follows:

6 Stealth Suits,
    2 Fusion blasters with Targetting Array (two shots at BS 4 is most likely going to hit and do some damage to anything)
    3 Burst Cannons with Target Lock (so they can fire on chappies walking around while the two above guys blast tanks/monstrous creates/etc.)
    1 Shas'vre with Burst Cannon Target Lock and Bonding Knife.

Alternatively you can get the 'vre a pair of drones to flesh the numbers out a bit.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    I don't go anywhere with a Shas'O armed with a missile pod, fusion blaster, and airbursting fragmentation projector.
    Isn't a template weapon a bit of a waste for a BS 5 Shas'o?? I personally find the Cyclic Ion Blaster to be a perfect weapon for my HQ. With 5 shots hitting on 2's you'll probably hit at least 4 times on average. Against most armies the weapon mitigates armor at AP 4 and against marines, well there's nothing funnier than having to tell that Grey Knight player that all of a sudden that paltry S 3 weapon is now AP1. Here's how the Drunken Master and his bodyguard roll.

Shas'o Saki... 162 Points
    W.Cyclic Ion Blaster/ Fusion Gun/Multi-Tracker/Shield Drone/Stim Injectors/ Positional Relay

2 Shas'vre Bodyguard...140 points
    1 W. Airburst Frag, Burst Cannon, Multi-tracker....68 points
    1 W. Plasma Cannon, Fusion Blaster, Multi-tracker..72 points

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast