BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    If you are going to twist a ruleset intended for friendly games into a competitive setting you can't turn around and whinge about the background of the armies being ignored and things like spamming units.
    THIS!

I fully agree and have nothing to add other than: I wish TOs would be more true to what they are doing...

Librarian

I'm with Xas and Eldargal on this one. My green tide shouldn't be punished, when just by looking at the tables anyone(with knowledge of the game) can see I'm goin to end up towards the back end of the rankings without comp scores.

Thanks for the explanation!

From an outsider (non tourny player) this does seem a bit counter intuitive.... and then again a wee bit useful. I could see how preventing some of the popular internet lists would be a boon to diversity, but then again there are several wonderful and fluffy builds that require spamming (like a green tide)

All in all I would say do away with it. It breaths live back into older codices by letting them take what works and might even give a bit of predictability towards opponents if everybody starts taking internet spam lists.
    For the Empire-----CHARGE!!!!!!!!!

Librarian

I was not defending comp, as I have seen how it can be abused. To me, if someone is going to run a comp system of any sort, it is only fair that it goes for every army.

And due to how GW decides to release their stuff, it does hit certain armies harder than others.

@ AbusePuppy. Shoot me a more specific page link over there and I'll check out the craziness.

Chapter-Master

Here's a couple:
    [url]http://kirbysblog-ic.blogspot.com/2010/09/swedish-comp-third-times-charm.html[/url]
    [url]http://kirbysblog-ic.blogspot.com/2011/02/email-in-comp-score-ruins-tournaments.html[/url]

One comp rule I've seen that actually kinda makes sense is a model cap based on points. At tournaments time can be a big issue, and it's no fun for anyone if you only ever get to turn 2. The big offender for this is horde armies, where even a dedicated player trying to play as fast as they can might run out of time before getting to the end of a game. The particular tournament this was in had a simple math system that worked out to 150 models at 2000pts I believe, so you could still do sizeable horde orks or 'nidz, you just couldn't go overboard and bog down the playtime.

That's just a thing that deals with the practical issue of fitting games into a limited time frame, as opposed to trying to nerf some army, so it's not precisely a traditional comp score per se.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Companies are figuring out the way to get people to behave a certain way is not to punish the norm, but reward the way they want. If you punish spam, people will just figure out how to break that. If you reward something, people will be far more inclined to do it.
    Borderline alcoholic and happy about it.
    Don't get your religion mixed with my Constitution. The mixture curdles.

Quote Originally Posted by L192837465 View Post
    Companies are figuring out the way to get people to behave a certain way is not to punish the norm, but reward the way they want. If you punish spam, people will just figure out how to break that. If you reward something, people will be far more inclined to do it.
    cool for the new dex . A BA doesnt have to go DoA or Razor spam he can run a single RAS in rhino one with jumpacks a tac[gasp]. instead of runing 2 apothecaries he will run one and corbulo . SW will replace a LF unit with some land speeders .

And at the same time an EC player is looking at his single choice in a codex other then a Demon prince and thinks how am I suppose to not spam and/or not play black legion ....

top tier list dexs stay top tier , weaker dex[because of fewer viable options] get weaker . comp is stupid it does not balance the game , other then making space marines more viable then variant lists [or if the Orgz miss something some other list].

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12