BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Thread: 2k BW Orks

Scout

Default 2k BW Orks

I need some advice on which list or another set up. I am currently in build on these lists and am reaching a point where I need to commit on buying. I have not played 40k for a long time and am looking at getting back into playing.

List 1 - 2000 Points

HQ
    Ghazghkull
    Big Mek with KFF

Elite
    Lootas (5) x3

Troops
    Nobz (7) - Painboy, Cybork Bodies, Bosspole, PK x2
    Battlewagon - Big Shoota x2, Armour Plates, Deff Rolla (**Ghaz ride)

Boyz (19) - Slugga, Nob with PK and Bosspole, Big Shoota x1
    Battlewagon - Big Shoota x2, Armour Plates, Deff Rolla (**KFF ride)

Boyz (20) - Slugga, Nob with PK and Bosspole, Big Shoota x2
    Battlewagon - Big Shoota x2, Armour Plates, Deff Rolla

Boyz (12) - Slugga, Nob with PK and Bosspole
    Trukk - Boarding Plank, Reinforced Ram

Boyz (12) - Slugga, Nob with PK and Bosspole
    Trukk - Boarding Plank, Reinforced Ram

FA
    Deffkopta with Buzzsaw x3

List 2:

HQ
    Ghazghkhull
    Big Mek with KFF

Elite
    Lootas (10) x2
    Commandos (6) - Boss Snikrot

Troops
    Nob Bikers (6) - Painboy, PK x1, Big Choppa x5

Boyz (19) - Slugga, Nob with PK and Bosspole, Rokkit x1
    Battlewagon - Big Shoota x2, Boarding Plank, Red Paint Job, Deff Rolla (**KFF ride)

Boyz (20) - Slugga, Nob with PK and Bosspole, Rokkit x2
    Battlewagon - Big Shoota x2,Boarding Plank, Red Paint Job, Deff Rolla

Boyz (20) - Slugga, Nob with PK and Bosspole, Rokkit x1, Big Shoota x1
    Battlewagon - Big Shoota x2, Boarding Plank, Red Paint Job, Deff Rolla

---
    Any and all comments appreciated.

Well, the idea of a battlewagon list is solid and actually does really well against a lot of armies you'll run into plus it's a blast to play!

The biggest issue I see with your lists is some of the loadouts. Unlike Space Marines an individual Ork is not an elite model, his biggest asset is that he's 6pts and you don't really care what happens to him as long as he does a thing or two before he dies. Giving Boyz mobz special shooting weapons is generally not advisable. This is ESPECIALLY true of slugga mobz whose primary job is to get into close-combat. More then likely you'll be moving those wagons 13" every turn until the turn in which you disembark, waaagh! and charge. You'll likely never get to shoot all those guns at all, so I would drop them.

Similarly with Battlewagons, those big shootaz will likely do nothing I would take a single one just to stop "Wepon Destroyed" results from becoming "Immobilized" results. Aside from that strongly consider dropping the boarding planks and the red paint jobs; these upgrades are not - strictly speaking - bad but the points may be better spent elsewhere.

Kommandoz are a great unit and can have a huge psychological impact on opponents, I would throw a few burnaz into that squad though. A few power weapons/flamers can really help.

When I play my wagon Orks I usually run zero lootaz, this is a personal choice. The way I see it, most people will ignore your lootaz turn 1 due to the many wagons bearing down on them and by turn 2-3 your deffrollaz will be opening up your opponent's tanks ANYWAY so dropping 300pts into lootaz IMO is redundant and takes away from your fighting force that you send foreward.

Finally, I do not like nobz; the only exception being when they're on bikes. In almost every other case there is almost no reason to take nobz, they cost too much base for what they are and they run counter to the idea of what you're trying to accomplish with orks (cheap disposable infantry). But, as a fellow Ork player I understand there are things that boyz simply cannot outfight, IMHO your best bet is Meganobz. A lot of people don't like them because they can't get their hands on a bosspole but if you consider what you get for 40pts compared to a regular nob they're hands down worth it for their points. A regular nob with a power klaw is already 45pts and lacks the 2+ save of the meganobz, in addition - even with FnP and 'eavy armour a nob still saves worse than a Meganob.

I've actually been playing wagon orks for about 2 years now so I have a lot to say about them, these are just my initial thoughts looking at your lists. Below I've included my 2k wagon list if you're interested in seeing what I've come up with over the past few years. This is a topic that I am very interested in so please respond! I'm very interested in hearing your thoughts.

[HQ]
    + Ghazghkull Thraka [225]
    + Big Mek [85]
    - Kustom Force Field

[Elites]
    + Meganobz [280]
    - 4x Meganobz; 1x Kombi-Skorcha
    - Battlewagon: Deff rolla, Big Shoota
    + Meganobz [280]

[Troops]
    + Meganobz [280]
    + Ork Boyz [160]
    - 1x Nob with Power Klaw & Bosspole
    - 19x Slugga Boyz
    + 'Ard Boyz [240]
    - 1x 'Ard Nob with Power Klaw & Bosspole
    - 19x 'Ard Slugga Boyz
    + Ork Boyz [220]
    - 1x Nob with Power Klaw & Bosspole
    - 29x Shoota Boyz

[Heavy Support]
    + Battlewagon [115]
    - Deff Rolla, Big Shoota
    + Battlewagon [115]
    - Deff Rolla, Big Shoota

Total: 2000

I usually run with something like this, occasionally I drop the 'Eavy Armour on the 'Ard Boyz and change the shoota squad into another 20-man slugga squad in a wagon.
    See my blog @ http://perilsoftheblog.blogspot.com/

Scout

Thanks for the in depth comments.

I have zero experience playing this army and have to theory hammer most of the time due to family work etc. So I have NFC what I am doing from any practical experience with this Army. However if I do get to play I want to be able to at least show up with something.

That disclaimer aside - what experiences do you have with running Koptas as kamikazes or Buggies to screen the BWs? At 2k are 3 BWs enough or are 4 better? How do the Boyz fare against MSU razorback squads, venom spam or GKs (any variant). I would think against DE it would go well if the BW doesn't explode or get immobilized. I would also think against the other armies the Boyz can hold their own.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Vuron View Post
    Thanks for the in depth comments.

I have zero experience playing this army and have to theory hammer most of the time due to family work etc. So I have NFC what I am doing from any practical experience with this Army. However if I do get to play I want to be able to at least show up with something.

That disclaimer aside - what experiences do you have with running Koptas as kamikazes or Buggies to screen the BWs? At 2k are 3 BWs enough or are 4 better? How do the Boyz fare against MSU razorback squads, venom spam or GKs (any variant). I would think against DE it would go well if the BW doesn't explode or get immobilized. I would also think against the other armies the Boyz can hold their own.

Thanks.
    Koptaz/buggies are solid choices, the choice you should consider is that koptaz are situational and very much a gamble sometimes they kill a predator/vindi or something expensive first turn; other times they crash and burn without doing anything. Buggies are generally more of a safe bet, they're not very survivable but they're VERY cheap and given the 4++ KFF save they can actually survive a LITTLE punishment. So it depends on what you like better, personally I take koptaz just because I really like the model and when they do pay off it's usually in a big way.

As far as number of wagons go, I recommend 4-5; I played a list where I ran three and it can work but I think it's best to have more to a) bring more boyz/nobz and b) bring more rollaz. Seriously, those Deff Rollaz do stupid amounts of damage.

Orks are VERY strong against MSU in general, anything roughly equivalent to or worse than an assault marine (without FnP or Furious Charge...****ing blood angels) will generally die to Slugga Boyz. Dark Eldar are somewhat troublesome to you as their skimmers have a 3+ dodge save against your rollaz but if/when they start failing those they are in a BAD place. Grey Knights.....sigh....if they have purifiers....you're done. Other than that it's do-able just an uphill battle.
    See my blog @ http://perilsoftheblog.blogspot.com/