BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Eldar Phantom Titan - IA2 - Second Edition

So I just opened this badboy..

They redid the rules on this monster. Not sure anyone will ever let me play it without vortex missiles and grenades now. Its IMHO extremely OP. I cant imagine a Warlord beating it now (without mentioned Vortex Missiles)

p126.
    ELDAR TITAN HOLOFIELDs
    Everytime a hit is scored against an Eldar Titan that moved in the previous turn, the Eldar player rolls a dice. On a result of a 4 or more, the hit is discarded. If a Titan did not move it in the previous turn, it does not get this holo field save.

Entries on models with a titan holofield.

ELDAR TITAN HOLOFIELDS: As long a sa vehicle moved in the previous turn, it gains a 4+ invulnerable save against attacks.

So take these two items.

The Phantom got an overhaul.

A. Phantom Starcanon went up to 4 shots
    B. You can no longer ignore stunned and move it to gun shaken and get the 4+ save. Not the steersman empowers a 3+ save vs Stunned, and Gun Shaken (like the Lynx)
    C. See below.

IMPROVED ELDAR TITAN HOLOFIELDS
    If the titan has not moved.. it has a 4+ inv
    IF the titan moved at all.. that save becomes a 3+ invuln save
    Also.. if something goes into hand to hand vs a Phantom titan that has moved (and its not a Gargant or enempy super heavy walker) it hits the Eldar titan on 6s.

So basically...

You shoot it 10 times.. 5 are ignored on simple odds

Maybe two crack the AV13? Which there is a 3+ inv save because it moved

You stun the driver? shake a gun? 3+ save via the steersman

You blow up a gun? 4+ gun crew save.

Understandably my friends are appauled. Makes me a little sad as I spent 4 months building and painting this thing.

Huzzah, finally Eldar get something truly fearsome.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Veteran-Sergeant
    Leicester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Isn't it like 2500 points though? you kind of expect it to be that tough for those points.

Also it only has 2 main guns, so in theory can only effect 2 units a turn, unlike a warlords 4 units a turn.

Chapter-Master

Firstly you're wrong with the Holofields. Holofields don't stack, the FW rules designers told me so in person. So no 4+ to avoid, the 3+ invulnerable. You just get 1 save...the 3+ if moved, or the stationariy 4+

As opposed to a warlord titan which; The first 6 shots that roll high enough to do damge are ignored completly. Then at the end of each turn it rolls 7-9 dice for its structure points and gets 1/3 of them back everytime.

Then it has 4 massive guns all with the 4+ saves. It has better armour, all round. I'd take the option of having 4 multiple SD 10" every time. A reaver can have 9 Strength D weapons for nearly half the cost.

If it gets immobilised it doesn't care. Damage control? Easy.If the Eldar get immobilised its much more screwed

Overall don't count a Warlord or a reaver down agaisnt it. They're hard as nails

But the Phantom is more so...just not as hard as you think cos holofields don't stack!

And your friends can be appauled. Next time they put down a Vendetta or Storm Raven as a flier slap them. They're half the price of Eldar aircraft and are better at nearly everything.

The same goes for AA...Hydra vs Firestorm? Half the price and get 4 twinlinked S7 shots on two different guns against 6 S6 twinlinked? And don't get me started on Manticores....and all the other majorly bent stuff nearly everyother army has in Apoc. Give the Eldar one thing thats good....at that cost theres not going to be many of them out there
    Last edited by DrLove42; 10-05-2011 at 07:39 AM.
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Does the Phantoms D-Cannons still ignore void shields? Because if so then keep it moving and it ill probably kill a Warlord. Even with the current rules my ProxyPhantom tended to come out ahead against Warlords more often than not.

Are the rules for the Phantom CCW in the book? I wish my copy would arrive, slowest delviery from FW ever.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

DrLove.

I would be inclined to agree with you. But I have the final print of the book on my lap right now.

So.. I don't

And our flyers are sick as hell now.

Holofield ignores 50% of the hits and then on the entry for Titan Holofield via the planes dat sheers.. it also grants a 4+ inv save vs damage

two saves.. different phases.. totally legal - and mean.

The Vampire Hunter just became a true beast.

Occuli Imperator

Eldargal is right. I also play tested my Phantom against a Warlord and my Phantom won more often than not. I used two D-Cannons.

Duke
    Red text= mod voice
    Black text= regular voice

Follow my blog! Www.dukesinferno.blogspot.com

Eldargal (heart!)

Yep..

the D-can ignores fields still.

the CCW rules are in.. +3 attacks, standard titan close combat weapon (+2 damage on chart) and comes with a starcanon mounted on the side.. S6 Heavy4 ap2

In that case:

Phantom > Warlord.

One hundred points more.

One hundred percent sexier.

Can someone tell me if the CCW is good? My brain is refusing to cooperate.

Chapter-Master

TCCW is good....but have to sacrifice one of the guns to get it. And thats a high cost to pay for a slight increase in close combat against big stuff. Although thanks to the beefyness of the rules, gargantuan creatures are the only thing that scares me against it in CC, cos they ignore the "only hit on 6's" thin. So if you face a lot of Giant Deamons or Bio-titans....might be worth droppping the cobra cannon for it

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of War View Post
    DrLove.

I would be inclined to agree with you. But I have the final print of the book on my lap right now.

So.. I don't
    Its true. I don't have the book yet, mine was dispathced this morning

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of War View Post
    And our flyers are sick as hell now.

Holofield ignores 50% of the hits and then on the entry for Titan Holofield via the planes dat sheers.. it also grants a 4+ inv save vs damage

two saves.. different phases.. totally legal - and mean.
    I Specifically asked Alan Bligh (the guy who writes the rules) if holofields stack on fliers or tanks with the flat out save. He said no

Trust me...I wish they did. And we will probably still house rule it that they do.

But FW's official line is they don't.

(Also asked him if AP1 and Strength D stacked on the damage table - As in the Sunstorm Sqn. They don't)

Eldar fliers are good....but compare a Nightwing to a Valk. 275pts to about 130pt. 2 S8 Lance shots and 6 Cannon shots against 3 twinlinked S9 shots. Av 10 against av 12. Both get a 4+ save if counting as a flier, the only time the eldar does and Valk doesn't is against a Hydra.

Nightwing vs Razorwing. 275 points vs 150-200pts. AV 10 alround. 2 lances and 6 cannon shots, vs 2 lances and 6 cannon shots AND 4 missiles. One with a 4+ save, other with a 5+ save.

Eldar fliers are seriously hurting these days. Kings of 4th ed rules Apoc, but suffering in a world of 5th ed plastic codex entry fliers.

Also...

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    . I used two D-Cannons.

Duke
    Can you sue two D cannons? I thought it was one of each? Again...don't have the rules on me yet...
    Last edited by DrLove42; 10-05-2011 at 08:36 AM.
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast