BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default 2000 point Chaos Army advice

Hey again!

I posted up a 2000 point deathguard list a little while ago, can find it here: [url]http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=17454[/url]

Since then I have made a few alterations, making this army undivided now rather than purely Nurgle

HQ
    Daemon Prince, MoS, Lash, Wings - 155

Daemon Prince, MoS, Lash, Wings - 155

Troops
    7 Plague marines, champion, power weapon, 2 flamers - 201
    Rhino, Extra armour - 50

7 Plague marines, champion, power weapon, 2 flamers - 201
    Rhino, Extra armour - 50

7 Plague marines, champion, power weapon, plasma pistol, 2 plasma guns - 236
    Rhino, Extra armour - 50

7 Plague marines, champion, power fist, 2 meltaguns - 221
    Rhino, Extra armour - 50

7 Plague marines, champion, power fist, 2 meltaguns - 221
    Rhino, Extra armour - 50

Heavy Support
    5 Havocs, 4 flamers, champion with combi-flamer - 135
    Rhino, Extra armour - 50

5 Havocs, 4 meltaguns - 115
    Rhino, Extra armour - 50

Total: 1990

The changes:

Daemon princes now slaanesh with lash, very nasty and relatively cheap.

Dropped the daemonic possession for extra armour on all rhinos, no need for the extra rules it provides, saves me a fair few points too.

Dropped the vindicators, nice, but too easiy destroyed before getting a chance to use them. I know the obvious choice for heavy support is oblits, but I really like the idea of 4 meltaguns in one squad popping a tank with relative ease. Especially looking forward to when I lash a large unit into a nice compressed clump then have 5 flamer templates land on them all at once!

You rarely see many havocs around these days, and to be fair when they're armed with heavy weapons I wouldnt take any either. But the fact they are more or less a standard chaos marine squad with 4 special weapons, such as flamers/meltas/plasmas. Well thats actually pretty scary...

Lots of troops in tanks basically!

Just wanted to hear your advice and if you think its an improvement on the previous list.

Also what should I spend the last ten points on? 2 lots of melta bombs?

Veteran-Sergeant

go for demonic possesion instead of extra armor. and havocs suck. take chosen, they can infiltrate.

Veteran-Sergeant

Havocs do suck. You might want to add more anti-mech in there. Meltas are great but their range is a bit short. If you are going to take 2 DP with lash you may as well take some Oblits. Why are you taking power weapons instead of fists? Your int already kinda sucks. Fist>pw in my experience. I never take plas-pistols. I do take berserkers though. I love them and they scare the pants off most people. I would recommend more variety. Spam lists are easy to smack around. Have fun!

Apahllo - What good would Daemonic Possession do for me? Its a rhino, designed to move, not shoot, extra armour ensures my movement if they roll a 1 or 2. If it were a land raider/vindicator or any other vehicle designed for shooting I would take DP to keep it shooting.

As for Havocs I understand they suck already but look at it this way: The havocs in this case are LITERALLY a normal chaos marine squad. Same points, same stats and same wargear, the only difference being that they have 4 special weapons, which cost exactly the same as it would a normal chaos marine squad. So I see where you're both coming from about Havocs and like I said when they are armed with the big expensive weapons I hate them too. I just believe havocs have a bad name for themselves so everyone instantly says stay away from them, I dont think people always look at their other uses.

templarboy - I can see what you mean when it comes to anti-mech, but currently I have 8 meltas and the army is designed to get up close quickly so I'm actually not very concerned about that, especially if I have 2 princes and a couple of fists to help me out too!

Generally I've matched the power weapons/fists with their ranged weapons, for example the meltas are for anti-tank/MC therefore so is their sergeants CC weapon, a powerfist. Whereas the flamer squads are designed to take out infantry, so therefore they have a power weapon.

Plasma pistol is literally just to add an extra plasma shot to the squads fire

Berzerkers - quite simply, not what I want in this army, can't say I'm a big fan of Khorne

Cheers for the advice guys, revisions will be made!

only PM asp champions are i3 . the main argument power weapon vs fist is that the weapon strike more offten and faster[what of course has its own problem of wound stacking by opponents] . a pm champ strikes slower then a meq anyway giving him a power weapon and gimping him against MC/HQs/walkers/multi wound models makes no sense at all

If you droped all the extra armor you could buy fists and upgrade the havocks to outflanking chosen with 5 specials. at 2k stuning doesnt matter anyway the fire power incoming is enough for even the less shoty codex/builds to blow up rhinos and not just stun lock them .

Veteran-Sergeant

you have 10 extra. so putting a fist with the plasma gun squad would be free.

if you drop the havocs squad with flamers (or meltas) you can turn one to chosen. the reason im suggesting this is because of infiltrate, i think your under estimating it. also, with you left over points you can give some rhinos DP and havoc launchers. this gives you a small bit more variety and tactics. or you could just replace what one havocs squad with 2 oblits.

its a good list with a strict strat. our advice would (sometimes) require a change in tactics which i understand isnt fun. i like the list, its cool and looks like its fun to play. good job.

Battle-Brother

Needs moar oblit's. In fact it just needs them period, they are one of the scariest shooting units the game, especially with a lash prince on the board. Hell 2 lash princes make them even worse for the opponent especially with the lash+plasma cannon combo.

Havoc's are only good with missile launchers or autocannons. Plasma guns also work but that's were plague marines come in. Feel no pain against that roll of a 1 is pretty fantastic and makes the suicide gun worth it's points.

If you really want to keep havoc's plasma gun them, or melta gun them that's about it.

Hope it helps.