BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default 2000 points of DoA

Hi all

For the last forever I've been playing around with a Descent of Angels list, and here's the latest incarnation thereof. Let me know what you think:

Alighieri the Squall
    Honor Guard with Jump Packs, 2 Meltaguns, 2 Lightning Claws, 3 Storm Shields

5 Sanguinary Guard
    2 Sanguinary Priests with Jump Packs

10 Assault Marines with 2 Meltaguns
    10 Assault Marines with Power Weapon, 2 Meltaguns
    10 Assault Marines with Power Fist, 2 Meltaguns

5 Vanguard Veterans with Lightning Claw, 2 Power Weapons
    5 Vanguard Veterans with Power Fist, 3 Storm Shields

Total: 2000 points

Alighieri is my Counts-As Sanguinor. Ordinarily I hate to use special characters, but in the current BA 'Dex if you want a CC character with any sort of gear, you're sort of stuck. I built him before the current codex, so I don't feel to bad about using him as said Sanguinor, as I built him with no particular rulesset in mind.

There is no Librarian in this list, I'm sure you've noticed. This kind of ties in to the above statement. Librarians to me are no longer what I want in a character. Back when they were 3 wounds and could take some fricken gear they were aweseome. Now they are just essentially purchased army utility. They are just to frail for my tastes, especially in an army that is going to get up close and personal, and in this points level most likely encounter something along the lines of Palladins, Calgar, Hive Tyrants, etc. 2 Wounds with no Invluln. and zip gear is just going to get knocked over like a stack of moldy potatoes.

I kind of regret the lack of flamers in this list, as I really like template weapons, but more crucial is having 4 units that can reliably threaten vehicles, so the meltaguns came out ahead on priority.

Tell me any thoughts you might have, and berate me for over-explaining things!

All the best,

Timff8

I like the list for the most part, I just have a few ideas you may want to consider.

1) I would include 2x Meltaguns and 1x Powerfist in each of your infantry squads this is to threaten vehicles and to ensure that if your elite jump force should find itself in close-combat with a Dreadnought or Monstrous Creature you'll have some semblance of a prayer against them.

2) Focus your Honour Guard. I would go for all 4 Meltaguns. Keep the storm shields if you like but the meltas are key (again to take out tanks).

3) Finally, Vangaurd are a bit all over the place. They're a weird unit to use, too few upgrades and they don't do much, too many and they get over-expensive. I would make both squads like the first one and give them all meltabombs this will make them a double-threat for both heavy weapons teams in the backfield as well as static tanks.

Best of luck to you! I'm liking the list, let us all know how it works!
    See my blog @ http://perilsoftheblog.blogspot.com/

I guess the question I want to ask is how do you see the army playing out? How do you see your army deploying and getting into combat?

Here's what I see. The Sanguinor and the Honor guard DOA in followed by at least one assault squad and a unit of Vanguard vets. The honor guard and assault squad open up a tank and the Vanguard Vets assault. Good idea, but let's look at the wargear.

Every squad should always have at least one Power Fist. There are 3 reasons.
    1. They allow you to deal with monstrous creatures that assault your unit.
    2. They allow you to smack tanks in case the Melta fails.
    3. They swing at Init 1 so you don't have to worry about would allocation shenanigans by your opponent.

Sanguinary guard are pointless without Dante. Tactical precision is too sweet to pass up. He also makes them Troops so you can dump an assault squad.

Your list revamped would be:
    Dante
    5 Sanguinary Guard - 1 Power Fist, 2 Infernus Pistols, Chapter Banner

Honor Guard with Jump Packs, 2 Meltaguns, 1 Power Fist, 3 Storm Shields

3 Sanguinary Priests with Jump Packs, power weapons (1 in Sang. Guard, 1 in each Assault Squad)

5 Vanguard Veterans with 2 Power Fists, 2 Lightning Claws
    5 Vanguard Veterans with 2 Power Fisst, 2 Lightning Claws

= 1855 points ( you now have 3 units of Troops, power fists for the 3 reasons, and 145 extra points for a Furioso Dread with Blood Talons and heavy flamer in Drop Pod)

I built a DOA list with 2 full 10 man squads of Vanguard Vets so I could combine Null Deployment with an Alpha Strike Heroic Intervention. Heroic intervention and DOA work really well together. My list has DS issues and I could lose entire squads of Vanguard Vets due to mishap, but I like my squads full size for multiple assaulting the back of tanks.
    "Wisdom means having the ability to admit what you do not know."