BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast
    Librarian

Default How many Independent Characters?

Had a bit of confusion over this; how many Independent Characters can join a single unit? Because we know they can all join each other to make a Death Star, but can you say, for example, stick Dante, a Librarian and a Sanguinary Priest all onto the same unit of Sanguinary Guard? Or is it, as I suspect, only one Independent Character per squad?

As a side note, can Independent Characters attach to Monstrous Creatures? Say Lelith Hesperax and Urien Rakarth attached to a Talos?

There isn't a limit. And if there is, it's news to me haha.

As for joining a Carnifex: no. There's a rule somewhere saying that you can't join a unit which normally consists of one model.
    When life gives you lemon's... should have used a condom.

Brother-Captain

Normally consists of one model?

Carnifexes can go in broods of 3.

If there is a rule like that, then that would mean that ICs can't join units of paladins in the GK codex; their minimum squad size is 1.

Brother-Captain

Any number of ICs can join a squad.

Carnifexes in 5th edition come in squads, so ICs can join them. You don't see it very often because there aren't many ICs in the Tyranid codex, and usually they're better off joining other units.

Chapter-Master

another point of view is that ICs can't join a unit that comprises of one model on the board.

ie, a paladin who started as 1 model on the board will always be 1 model on the board (see the 'always' is in there), so there are those that would say you cannot attach an IC to the paladin unit.

Librarian

And they'd be totally wrong. Oh wait, look at that it's Tynskel. Of course it's going to be utterly wrong.

The rule on p.48 of the BRB says that IC's can't join units that always consist of a single model. No mention anywhere of 'on the board'.
    Touched by His Noodly Appendage

Librarian

As for your other question, you can attach as many IC's as you want to a unit.

Always pissed me off in Dawn of War that you can only attach one IC per unit and that you couldn't attach Chaplains at all.

Veteran-Sergeant

The carnifex situation is the only thing that is outside the mold so to speak as I think they are the only monstrous creature than can form units. In my mind, if you only take one carni then no you can't attach IC's to them. If you take 2, then yes you can.
    BOLScon 40k Judge

Librarian

The rules on p.48 say that you're wrong Caldera my old love. Carnifex are not a unit that always consist of a single model.

Chaplain

HIVE MIND is right on this one.
    Independent charectors are allowed to join other units.
    They cannot however join vehichle squadrons (see vehicle section)
    and units that always consist of a single model (like most vehicles
    and monsrtous creatures). They can join other independent charectors though,
    to form a powerfull multi-charactor unit!
    page 48 5th edition rulebook.

0-1 units in an army is not the same as a single model unit.
    "I have seen what you will see. I have fought what you must fight, and I have slain what you must slay...." Commander Dante

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast