BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Necron Advanced order up on GW

[URL="https://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.jsp?catId=cat440160a&rootCatGameSt yle=wh40k"]https://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.jsp?catId=cat440160a&rootCatGameSt yle=wh40k[/URL]

Necrons are here officially.

Codex: Necrons
    Necron Ghost Ark / Doomsday Ark. plastic
    Necron Catacomb Command Barge / Annihilation Barge. plastic
    Necron Lychguard / Triarch Praetorians. plastic
    Necron Immortals / Deathmarks. plastic
    Imotekh the Stormlord. fincast
    Necron Overlord. fincast
    Trazyn the Infinite. fincast
    Necron Cryptek. fincast
    Necron Lord with Resurrection Orb. fincast
    Necron Lord. plastic
    Classic Necron Lord. plastic
    C'tan Shard of The Nightbringer. fincast
    C'tan Shard of The Deceiver. fincast
    Necron Flayed One Pack. fincast

All the old plastic models are still in the same packaging with green rods and all. Also much of the fluff rumors seem to be right about Necrons being interested in empire building not life harvesting.

Also Eldar finecast is up as well along with a few Space Marines.

Eldar Warp Spiders
    Eldar Howling Banshees
    Eldar Fire Dragons
    Eldar Swooping Hawks
    Harlequin Troupe
    Eldrad Ulthran
    Captain Sicarius
    High Marshal Helbrecht
    Sammael, Master of the Ravenwing
    Last edited by Slug; 10-28-2011 at 05:49 PM.

Battle-Brother

Default Night Scythe

Yeah, I've been pouring through the descriptions to get a feel for the new fluff (C'Tan Shard was interesting). Also, I noticed that alot of the units can get a transport I havn't heard of yet called a "Night Scythe"... have there been any rumors on that or what it is supposed to be?

Veteran-Sergeant

I haven't seen anything on the Night Scythe but we can guess that it will probably be a second wave model. Flayed ones look nasty with 3 attacks and some way of infiltrating. Crypteks are very interesting as well, they seem to be able to upgrade to one of 5 different forms, maybe where the rumor for the use of shards comes from since we now have the C'tan back as an individual unit. The C'tan shards themselves seem like real game changers with the ability to either tactically alter the game, redeploy d3 units etc, or just add some real combat punch to the game, oh and there is a power to destroy meltas and flamers. the two special character so far released also seem to be able to really change how the army works with some really nifty abilities. The comments Ward makes really gives away allot about how everything functions, I really like it, it gives a really good idea of how the army will function and what to buy for a certain build or theme.
    Last edited by Slug; 10-28-2011 at 06:02 PM.

Brother-Captain

From the Necron Rules Summary thread regarding the Night Scythe:
    • Night Scythe: A variant of the Doom Scythe fighter that is a 15 model flyer transport with the 'supersonic' 36" flat-out move that the new flyers (that are really skimmers) have. Can carry jump infantry models (taking up 2 spots each) and fire all its weapons even when moving at cruising speed. Has living metal (chance to ignore crew shaken & stunned) but not quantum shielding (which gives +2 armor until the vehicle suffers its first glancing or penetrating hit). AV 11/11/11 like most Necron vehicles (not open-topped though).

Anyway, I'm super excited that Necrons are finally on their way here. A little disappointed about some aspects of this release, though...namely the old kits that have been repackaged, but not updated in any way. For example, rumours point to Destroyers being able to upgrade to Heavy Destroyers...yet we still have to buy them separately? And Heavy Destroyers are hybrid plastic/metal kits still?

I mean, they're doing a Finecast version of the ooold Necron Lord...but we still have a hybrid plastic/metal kit in our army? Really?
    EDIT: Two, actually, counting the Destroyer Lord.

Also would have been nice to have the weapon sprue in the Warrior kit updated to include the new Gauss Flayers from the Ghost/Doomsday Ark kit...I like 'em more than the old green rods, myself.

Ah well. Overall, very excited for this release. A number of things about it that bug me, though.

Here's hoping we don't have to wait a million years for more model waves, now...More like DE and less like 'nids, please.
    Last edited by Kawauso; 10-28-2011 at 06:18 PM.
    Armies Played (in order of acquisition)
    Crons, SW, SM, Tau, 1k Sons, IG, Nids, BA, DE

The Dark Mechanic

Mostly good looking release and not too horrible on the prices considering the overall product line these days. Exception, the Flayed Ones. $45 for 5 when the other sets are $33 for 5 models. And those Finecast sets assuredly cost less to produce than multi-part plastic sprue sets. Tip: convert them from regular plastic Necron Warriors, it should be relatively easy. Add some blades out of bits or plastic card, add some skin coverings using thin plastic card or Green Stuff.

Also I'll point out that this new range and rules were completely finished more than 2 years ago. Like many GW releases they made us wait quite a while before fitting this revision into the release schedule. Rumors have abounded for more than a year that this revision was completed, but languishing unreleased and those rumors were apparently correct.

Now I know these days people will argue with you if you say fish live in water or grass is usually green, but here goes something else that is hardly "radical".

This is not an anthropology lesson nor is it a lesson in ancient cultures. The fact is quite clearly that GW used ancient Egyptian aesthetics as a primary source for both their Tomb Kings and Necron model ranges though arguing about specifics is neither important or of consequence to most. Both model ranges are undead skeleton armies rising from sands and tombs, each respectively has items like pyramids, sphinxes and other blatantly and mainly Egyptian themed iconography in their aesthetics. The roots or relationships between ancient Egyptian civilization and the cultures that preceded them is irrelevant, we're talking about iconic and easily recognized themes used to hook average customers for these model ranges and GW went to one of the most popular and easily recognized ancient civilizations to do so. Of course there are plenty of other things going on here too with GW design as usual (e.g., The Terminator, Tomb of the Cybermen, in this case). I don't know what certain other people are trying to do recently, but it's unnecessary, irrelevant, and on most people, including those equally or more educated on the topic it's a failure.

Even the names of the Necron characters are Ancient Egypt inspired (e.g., Imotekh, yeah sure, that was not inspired by the name, Imhotep, no way :P).

Personally I don't mind the "Tomb Kings In Space" look, in fact I rather like it. I've seen quite a few complaints about it from others though. No matter what design aesthetics GW chooses for each range they won't please everyone. That will never happen, but some people don't seem to be able to get over that idea. GW has to make choices that will please enough customers to sell well, there's no way they can customize every design for every customer. For those that don't like them, pick something else but don't expect that a minority opinion on the range will get GW to alter it. Only a large number of customers disliking it and a corresponding severe drop in sales would do that.

And if by chance this post draws an angry, rambling rebuttal, I won't read it or reply to it, there's enough of that around already and saying it again won't make it sound more convincing or add anything new worth seeing. I've had my say and I'm out of this thread permanently.

The War Store ([url]www.thewarstore.com[/url]) is already taking orders for new Necrons for those who like that 20% off and flat $5.95 shipping. I'll probably buy some of the new plastics to go with the old ones I have stashed away. I bought both Phalanx Necron bundle deals from The War Store a few years ago during the Apocalypse promotion so I have the core of an army, a large one, that cost about $223 for 3 Monoliths, 48 Warriors, 6 Destroyers and a Lord.

Have a good weekend everyone!
    Last edited by Brass Scorpion; 10-28-2011 at 06:09 PM.
    See my latest eBay auctions at http://shop.ebay.com/zigra/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Brass Scorpion View Post

It matters not what influences the ancient Egyptians had on their aesthetics when it comes to GW model designs. This is not an anthropology lesson nor is it a lesson in ancient cultures. The fact is quite clearly that GW used ancient Egyptian aesthetics as a primary source for both their Tomb Kings and Necron model ranges. Both are undead skeleton armies rising from sands and tombs, each respectively has items like pyramids, sphinxes and other blatantly and mainly Egyptian themed iconography in their aesthetics. The roots or relationships between ancient Egyptian civilization and the cultures that preceded them is irrelevant, we're talking about iconic and easily recognized themes used to hook average customers for these model ranges and GW went to one of the most popular and easily recognized ancient civilizations to do so. Of course there are plenty of other things going on here too with GW design as usual (e.g., The Terminator, Tomb of the Cybermen, in this case). I don't know what certain other people are trying to do recently, but it's unnecessary, irrelevant, and on most people, including those equally or more educated on the topic it's a failure.

Even the names of the Necron characters are Ancient Egypt inspired (e.g., Imotekh, yeah sure, that's nothing like Imhotep, no way :P).
    Thank you, this is the whole point of the aesthetics, it may be more closely related to some other culture but when you see Necrons and read the fluff you instantly think Egypt they even have Pherons.

I did see many weapon profiles with str 4,6 or 9 and ALL AP1. Lots of ap1..
    Scoring HQ.
    All the fun and experimental gadgets and weapons

I am bit afraid

Anyway, hope my friend will get his new dex soon, and his new toaster army up and running so we can try how well it plays out afterall

Veteran-Sergeant

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3VxsnuyMIM0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3VxsnuyMIM0[/URL]

Nothing new in here but I thought it was a pretty neat way to show off all the new units.

Those Flayed Ones are obscenely high. I see lots of OOP Flayed Ones changing hands via Ebay, or hoarded jealously.

Librarian

I will say when looking at the 360 shots of the new models, I love all the new looks. I especially love how the Triarch praetorian has that cage up the back of its spine, likely covering the teleportation matrix, it looks really neat. I also love how many of the commanders have that hunched, hooded look to them with the metallic spine, really well done overall. I have to say I cannot wait until they come out with the Doom/Nightscythe, I am really looking forward to seeing that model.

Also the Lynchguard with the shield really looks wonderful from all angles, I really cannot wait to get my hands on that kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug View Post
    Thank you, this is the whole point of the aesthetics, it may be more closely related to some other culture but when you see Necrons and read the fluff you instantly think Egypt they even have Pherons.
    Except you know....they aren't Egyptian Aesthetics. The only people who honestly think this is uniquely Egyptian aesthetics are people who have seen too many mummy movies. Don't get me wrong there are some Egyptian themed names in it, but I think this has all been said before, you people didn't get the clue then, you wont get it now.

As for the above "This is what I think and despite how people far more educated disagree with me I'm going to say this and never respond to it again because god forbid I actually have an intellectual debate" sorry for the paraphrasing. Grow the hell up, seriously, I have seen two year olds act more mature than this. We get it, you don't like Eldargal, and you don't like being shown up, get over it.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/rlocke2/551391_4297044038379_634463020_n.jpg

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast