BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Librarian

Love them. Used to collect Necrons when the codex first came out but got bored. Will I start again, maybe. .

[url]http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=GB#/watch?v=U8Y5YwqGQAQ[/url]
    My son, ask for thyself another Kingdom, for that which I leave is too small for thee.

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    You can disagree, but I'm still right. I've been to Egypt, I've studied Egyptian art and all the Necrons have is the odd Mummy, Indiana Jones and Stargate inspired doodad and a vaguely near eastern-leaning-towards-Mesopotamian bit of decoration in places.
    With their helmet crest, I guess that the Dire Avengers are more Ptolemaic.

I guess that the Lizardmen have laid claim to the Mesoamerican look and the Vampire Counts and Skaven are fighting over the Frankenstein look, maybe the new Necrons could have carved out a new aesthetic niche in the Warhammer/40k Thanopology by referencing the Hindu Cult of Kali or Tibetan Buddhism. Either of these would have given a rich vein of skull-tastic designs.

However, I'd have preferred for this most ancient race to be given a paradoxically advanced aesthetic. The original Necron Warrior design appears to have a bigger debt to Jacob Epstien's "The Rock Drill" than to the T800. Maybe a Futurist, Deco or ultra modern style would have been better. Think of Necrons driving around in Audi.

Chaplain

My wifes Necron army is gonna double or triple by the time I get home.
    "I have seen what you will see. I have fought what you must fight, and I have slain what you must slay...." Commander Dante

Librarian

Infantry look lovely. Vehicles fruity. Helmet details on HQ and Lychguard also fruity. All I can think of is using thin styrene rods on their heads to make Cybermen...

Chapter-Master

Necrons are obviously Egyptian in design. That was made clear when they came out back in 98', and oh so more obvious with the new look. Necrons are far and above Eldar with Egyptian designs.

Just keep in mind that Eldargal will defend every action GW takes, and always play devil's advocate to everything you say.
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Of course Necrons are clearly Egyptian if you think Stargate and the Mummy are legitimate academic sources. Still not sure how you get from 'Necrons aren't Egyptian' to 'defending GW'. I hate Necrons, I wish GW had never sodding introduced them, they look stupid, their background ****** up the existing background when it was shoehorned in back in 98. How is that for defending GW?

Also, they are only 'clearly Egyptian' if your knowledge of Egypt comes from, as mentioned above, a handful of silly pop-culture references.
    Last edited by eldargal; 10-15-2011 at 04:05 AM.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Librarian

So... Eldargal, the Monolith... A Pyramid...

Isn´t egyptian, is it??

Well, seems that you get out of your lovely Dark Eldars and become dumb
    Lord Macragge and wielder of the Ultramar´s Gauntlets

Necron monolith:

Egyptian Pyramid:

Mesopotamian ziggurat:

Mayan pyramid:

Sadly I am limited to four images.

What were you saying about dumb, again?
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Librarian

Easy, Easy, Mrs Xena...

Seems someone is wanting her daily quote of attention everywhere

Hope to see some codex pages from Beasts of War in the next days...
    Lord Macragge and wielder of the Ultramar´s Gauntlets

Nice counter-argument.

I'm not saying GW didn't start with an Egyptian theme, but from the aesthetic to the burial culture (for 25 of its 26 odd dynasties Egyptian kings were buried alone or in a family tomb, Sumerian kings were buried with large numbers of attendants, you tell me which is more like a tomb world) it has been so altered and 'Necroned' up that nothing about it says Egyptian to anyone who is actually familiar with Egypt. It may have something in common with Hollywood-pop-culture-images of Egypt but that doesn't mean anything beyond Necrons sharing certain artificial modern tropes.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast