BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

1. Hive guard.

2. Ymgarls. They can hit the turn they show up and with the +1A mode on they can get a lot of rends. If I can I'll multi-charge with an infantry unit too to avoid being shot to death.

3. Trygon Primes. The shooting attack averages one pen and one glance on AV10. I usually deep-strike them behind vehicles.

4. Hoping my opponent does something stupid. Please come within 18" of the flyrant... please.

All that reserve nonsense tends to spread fire around too. This way I actually have some hormies left by the time they hit the lines. I haven't experimented with T-fexes yet though. Seems like a lot of points to wager on only two dice per turn though.

If tervigons pooped hormies and tyrants could still have warp-blast I think this codex could still be top tier. Alas, no and no.

Scout

My solution to the nids issue is as has been discussed all about synergy. Using multiple units to back each other up is the way to go.
    Sonicgav has the right idea, the parasite is amazing, when backed up by loads of gargoyles it becomes a serious threat, but if you back that up with a trygon prime and some raveners then its a holy terror.
    People keep talking about outflaking/reserve lists, forget this unless you want to specifically tailor your collection with flyrant etc.
    2 words target saturation, get as many feet/claws on the ground and give your enemy lots of options, too many and he forgets youre zoans etc.
    Nobody should willingly purchase anything you can get for free, borer gaunts, rippers, and spores. If you do want any of these buy the things that make them for free, tervi`s, parasite and biovores.
    Hormagaunts and gargoyles are great units, take at least one upgrade or dont take them at all, toxin sacs is my first choice, adrenal glands if facing tanks works a treat.
    Ahhh pyrovores, they are there just to thin the numbers of horde type armies. 3 hvy flamers are nasty but i would always take biovores for this job.

Default Pyrovores

I think Pyrovores could be made more useful if mounted in a Mycetic Spore. At first glance, they appear pretty much useless; they're obviously destined for close range fighting, but they're too slow to charge in with the rest of the army, and they'll get taken down easily if left on their own. They're only going to hit something with their flamers or claws if the opponent is charging into you, and if they're confident enough in the combat capabilities to charge INTO the tyranid horde, you've got bigger problems.

Putting the Pyrovores into a Mycetic Spore makes it a lot easier to get them up close. On the turn they dismount, it's likely (if you're good with the scatter dice) that something will be in range of their Flamespurts, (giving you an effective way of thinning the ranks of other horde armies), and they can charge in next turn. If you're lucky, the opponents will be too afraid of the death explosions to aim their Big Guns at them, and they might also overlook them in exchange for one of your bait targets (a monstrous creature or an approaching horde) and let the Pyrovores survive, because at first glance they are useless in combat.

They only have one attack each, they're strength 4, and they're initiative 1. They do, however, have power weapons, so if any of them DO get an attack in it should hurt. Hopefully, by unleashing another few blasts from their Flamespurts, you'll only need to finish off the survivors rather than engage a full squad.

So, I believe the synergy for Pyrovores is to mount them in a Spore. It'll at least distract your opponent for a couple of turns, and you might even get a few kills out of it.

Do I win the thread?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12