BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Eldar at 1K, can we win?

Hey guys this is a list a came up with so that when I go to my flgs I won't get completely tabled by every new marine book.

Eldrad

5 Fire Dragons
    Exarch w/ Fire Pike and Crack Shot

Wave Serpent
    TL Scatter Lasers
    Spirit Stones

5 Dire Avengers

Wave Serpent
    TL Scatter Lasers
    Spirit Stones

5 Dire Avengers

Wave Serpent
    TL Scatter Lasers
    Spirit Stones

3 War Walkers
    (2x Scatter lasers, 2x Scatter lasers, 2x Scatter lasers)

What do you guys think? are war walkers worth it? Any thoughts or comments let me know.

Cheers

At 1K trying to squash eldrad in may be a mistake, a farseer with guide/doom/fortune (whichever may seem best), spirit stones and runes of warding may not offer as much as eldrad but certainly allows you some more toys.

You have enough scatter lasers on the war walkers to shred light vehicles and i'm not suggesting you're going to come up against any land raiders at 1K but maybe some eldar missile launchers may be a worthy investment (particularly since you can fire it on blast if you've moved)

Also i think the fire dragon exarch is a little waste. His squad can't ignore cover, fire pike is only an extra 6" range and after paying for it all you can nearly have another 3 fire dragons so take that as you will.

I think dropping eldrad for a regular far seer may save you enough points to upgrade one of the serpents to a falcon, which protects 5 avengers and the seer just fine and with holo-fields you may find it is very hard to shift (turbo-boost + fortune = good and of course you get a pulse laser aswell)

All in all good luck!
    Last edited by The Twilight Fade; 10-19-2011 at 04:29 AM.

First-Captain

I agree that you need to drop Eldrad.

He isn't the auto-include that internet seems to feel he is.

A stock farseer would do the job just as well with spirit stones & runes.

You have too many scatter lasers, imo. You need something beyond the Dragons that can handle AV13-14.

For 1k points, I would drop one of the war-walkers. They are great units, but very pricey for their fragility.

I'm also seeing a lack of close combat options in your list. There are a lot of melee-centric armies out there, and you need to have an answer for them that doesn't rely on moving out of the way with very expensive av12 transports.

@The Twilight Fade: While the remaining 4 Dragons cannot ignore cover, there is something to be said about the exarch being able to ignore cover, and reroll wounds with a BS 5, 18" AP1 melta weapon. And at most, you can only get 2 extra fire dragons for that. It's a good trade off.

In all honesty at 1000pts I wouldn't bother with a Fire Dragon exarch, five FD is usually enough to destroy any AV14 you may encounter at that point level.

I half agree with Scadugenga re: scatter lasers, but it depends on your meta. If you don't have a lot of mech a single squad of fire dragons will probably suffice and the scatter lasers will be fine, but if you see a lot of mech then.

You could consider replacing Eldrad with a Farseer with spirit stones, Doom and Fortune to go with your fire dragons and another farseer with guide to go in a wave serpent with DA that hangs around near the War Walkers to try and guide them, if the war walkers are a squadron then you only need to be within 6" of one of them. This would be five points cheaper than Eldrad and with 40 points saved on the FD Exarch you could either beef up FD numbers (not really necessary with a doomseer nearby) or give your farseers some runes.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

In bigger games I nearly always tend to include eldrad as the tactical flexibility vs point cost is nearly always worth it but then again he can't take a jet bike so you nearly always have to put him in a vehicle unless hes stood buffing a static gun-line.

I do like the exarch and fair enough I forgot the points for exarch upgrade/firepike and the fact that he's BS5 but I find the extra shot in my personal experience is nearly always worth it or like eldargal said drop him and possibly buff up a troops unit
    Last edited by The Twilight Fade; 10-19-2011 at 06:14 AM.

Scout

I dont know eldar very well, but the last 1000 point tourny I played in was won by an eldar player (my bro)

This is his list in a nutshell from what I can remember;

Eldrad in a unit of wraith guard
    2x wraithlords
    6x pathfinders
    2x 3x jetbike squads.

Basically he kept the whole army within 12" of the avatar to benefit from his fearless rule, and brought the jetbike squads on from reserve for obj. grabbing.

In anihilation games it was difficult to score a single point because everything was packed tight. If you even attempted to charge anything into his mass of goodness, they were completley eaten alive (R.I.P. bezerkers)

Very hard to deal with at that point level. Hope this helps!