BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Battle-Brother

Default 1000 pt. Beginning for my Space Wolves

I just moved into a new gaming area and haven't played in over a year and a half. So, I'v brought out my Space Wolves, looked at the local armies at the local game store and made this list. Pretty standard armies around here with mainly Space Marines, a couple Tyranid players, Orks, and an Eldar player.

Just want an all around decent list that can be competitive but fun to play against. I defiantly don't want to be part of the band wagon with nothing but Grey Hunters in Razorbacks and Long Fangs spam...Thanks

HQ
    Wolf Priest (Blood Claws Pack)
    Plasma Pistol/Wolf Tooth Necklace
    125 pts.

Elites
    Wolf Guard Pack (3)
    Wolf Guard: Power Fist/Combi-melta (Blood Claws Pack)
    Wolf Guard: Power Fist/Combi-melta (Grey Hunters Pack 2)
    Wolf Guard: Frost Blade (Grey Hunters Pack 1)
    117 pts.

Troop
    Grey Hunters Pack (10)
    Grey Hunter: Wolf Standard
    Grey Hunter: Plasma Gun
    Grey Hunter: Mark of the Wulfen
    185 pts.

Grey Hunters Pack (9)
    Grey Hunter: Meltagun
    165 pts.
    {Drop Pod}
    35 pts.
    200 pts.

Blood Claws Pack (10)
    150 pts.

Heavy Support
    Long Fangs Pack (5)
    Squad Leader
    Long Fang: Missile Launcher
    Long Fang: Plasma Cannon
    Long Fang: Lascannon
    140 pts.
    {Razorback}
    Twin-linked Lascannon
    75 pts.
    215 pts.

Total 999 pts.

Brother-Sergeant

I like the list man, my friend plays Wolves and that looks like a good list for both players. I especially like the inclusion of a drop pod as in my opinion that's how the Wolves should go to war. Drop in, rapid fire Boltguns, and let them charge you as you get counter attack anyway!
    Although
    I love Bloodclaws, especially with Ragnar I think maybe they are wasted here especially with no upgrades. They suffer a little against standard marines with the whole WS thing. Have you considered putting the Wolfguard with the Longfangs and dropping the pups?
    I used to run Blood Angels without a Librarian and I left myself wide open with no psychic defence, so maybe swap a Rune Priest in as the Wolves outstrip even the psychic hood for stopping power. You'd be laughing at the doom of malanti as he became ineffective.
    Although you would be stuck putting your two HQ's in the foot slogging unit, it's just a shame you have to take WG in packs of 3.
    Would you consider also dropping the the wolf priest? As he was really only helping out the Bloodclaws low WS. You could get another squad for that and put the extra WG with them freeing up room in either you Razorback or your drop pod for the Rune Priest.

Anyway happy gaming man!
    If only the Event Horizon had Gellar Fields........

Battle-Brother

Thanks for liking my list. I defiantly agree with you on the Drop Pod aspect. As for the Blood Claws I understand most people are not crazy about them and their poor WS makes them suffer in that aspect but I feel the number of attacks they can throw out tied with having the Wolf Priest in the unit allowing them to re-roll makes up for it. I ran them in my lists since I started and they for the most part have treated me well. They have had a few instances of being useless in battles though. The biggest thing with them is that I use to play 2000 pt. battles and ran them in a Land Raider Redeemer but I lost some models and am essentially having to restart and at a 1000 pts. can't fight the Redeemer in yet.

I have considered dropping them from my list but haven't felt like they have done me necessarily wrong yet. Plus, I am really trying to be more fluffy (no pun intended) and don't want to be like the other spamming Grey Hunter, Space Wolf lists. As for dropping the Wolf Priest he falls in with the Blood Claws for just uniqueness. I see the big appeal for Rune Priest and am really considering running one.

After writing this reply what if I took the Blood Claws and Wolf Priest out for a Rune Priest and pack of 5 Grey Hunters in a Razorback? Once I get into bigger point games maybe I can add the Blood Claws and Wolf Priest back in....

Brother-Sergeant

I know what you mean about having a fluffy list (even if not intentional it sounds like a good one) I've just recently relented and added a razorback to my list as I was suffering going up against my friend's mech list. Having ran with it I can't deny the benefits if including it but at the same time I can't quite bring myself to going mech heavy. You hardly ever read of marines in the books going to war in that way, all in vehicles with support vehicles to boot.
    I think the alternatives you suggested would probably be the best option for you at the moment, but a little voice at the back of my head screams 'he was right in the first place!' having the blood claws in there with the wolfpriest is probably not something you see lots of these days and it's well documented in the books.
    I was going to suggest alternating between the Rune Priest and the Wolf Priest but aside from the obvious advantages of having the Rune Priest you are then severally weakening your Blood Claws............it's a tough one.
    I've seen Landraider Blood Claws before and really they ain't no joke.

When I was trying out my librarian I essentially ran a couple of 'broken' lists but really the benefits of being able to see the powers in action has really given me a whole new perspective and a whole bunch of ideas for fluffy squads. See my Death Company Honoured Death list to see what I mean. Totally fluffy, but not really practical.
    You could put the Rune Priest with the Blood claws and use living lightening before you charge squads, it's lethal and could make up for losing out on the re rolls?
    I'm finding that it's a hard thing to get the balance right between a competitive list and a fun list.

Battle-Brother

Re-did the list with the taking out of the Wolf Priest and Blood Claws Pack and giving the Razorback from the Long Fangs to a 6 man squad/pack of Grey Hunters. Gave a few weapon change ups and added Wolf Scouts mainly because I needed 3 at a minimum and have the Wolf Scout models and decided to give them a shot. Not sure where to put the Rune Priest though....

HQ
    Rune Priest
    Living Lightning/Jaws of the World Wolf
    100 pts.

Elites
    Wolf Guard Pack (3)
    Wolf Guard: Power Fist (Grey Hunters Pack 1)
    Wolf Guard: Power Fist (Grey Hunters Pack 2)
    Wolf Guard: Power Fist/Melta bombs (Wolf Scouts)
    99 pts.

Wolf Scouts (5)
    Wolf Scouts: Meltagun
    85 pts.

Troop
    Grey Hunters Pack (10)
    Grey Hunter: Power Weapon
    220 pts.

Grey Hunters Pack (9)
    Grey Hunter: Power Weapon
    Grey Hunter: Meltagun
    165 pts.
    {Drop Pod}
    35 pts.
    215 pts.

Grey Hunters Pack (6)
    165 pts.
    {Razorback}
    40 pts.
    140 pts.

Heavy Support
    Long Fangs Pack (5)
    Squad Leader
    Long Fang: Plasma Cannon
    Long Fang: Lascannon
    140 pts.

Total 999 pts.

Your list looks good makes my wolf guard heavy list look tiny. You have 40 models at 999pts that looks like it can hold its own well done. I would recommend more drop pods if they fit your fluff and you can find a way to squeeze them in (larger list or maybe dropping the scouts?) they are a great way to drop in on the enemy!

Also kudos for not taking the grey hunter razor back spam route.

Brother-Sergeant

That list looks even more interesting man.
    Hmmmm well I would have maybe put him with the Grey Hunters in the Razorback but alas there are 6 of them so no room at the inn.
    It did give me an interesting idea though. Can you buy Sagas for your Rune Priest? I believe that there is one that would allow your scouts to keep there behind enemy lines ability. Not sure if I am right up to speed on the wolves but I think that would be fun. I like both Jaws and Living lightning and either of those popping up from reserve could ruin someones day.
    Could I suggest though that you drop one of them in exchange for a power that activates in the opposing players turn. As I said I'm not too sure on the Wolves limitations on psychic powers per player turn but it's always nice to be able to drop one on someone in their turn.
    I wish my scouts were still as good as that. One of the few perks of the PDF Angels codex.
    What kind of board do you usually play on? Cover? Ruins?
    You running the foot slogging Grey Hunters as support to your two fast moving units?
    Bonus of a list like this there are lots of different ways you can run it.

Brother-Sergeant

Just noticed the Wolfguard with the Scouts.......not sure if that would make them lose there Behind enemy lines......
    My friend runs a Wolfguard in terminator armour and cyclone missile launcher with his Longfangs sometimes. Although that foot slogging unit is looking a little lonely at no extra cost......

Battle-Brother

The idea is to have the Drop Pod come in turn 1 (obviously...lol) and depending on the enemies layout they will be in their face to knock a vic out or to start some sh!t. Otherwise, they will just drop onto an objective out of initial reach and hold it. The Razorback full of Grey Hunters will be more of a harassment/reinforcing and also for support (It will eventually get a dual lascannon in larger games)

The Long Fangs will obviously hold back and the Rune Priest will run with the foot slogging Grey Hunter Pack to move where needed. The Wolf Scouts will mainly be a harassing force for like you said: No one likes having something come in at their board edge, let alone not knowing where. Also, it is allowed to have the Wolf Guard with them and have them keep their abilities. Though the Rune Priest having Sagas...their is one that would work that give the Wolf Priest Stealth and Outflank but the Outflank is kind of redundant and the Stealth is meh...

I wish the Rune Priest with that Saga could confer Outflank to a unit cause that would be kick ***!

Should be going to try and play tomorrow night so we should see how it finally holds up

Brother-Sergeant

Tear them a new one man. Be sure to post your results.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast