BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Fellend View Post
    These are acceptable because they are slow changes, they adjust our perspective only slightly. While as Draigo, walking into the chaos realm and kicking *** with one hand behind his back. Mocking one of the great evil powers of the universe which have been pretty much untouchable untill now...
    That is ... poor writing, and should be criticized. While it would be nice with formative assessment of his work, well it's not like he would read it and take it to heat anyway so we might as well just use summarative assement.
    The thing is though, Draigo accomplished precisely nothing in doing so.

None of his actions have a lasting impact because he's in the Warp. So sure, he's going around roughhousing daemons and knocking down their buildings...but then they're just like "that ******* again? Damn kids..." and things go back to normal.

So I really don't get why people are that upset over it...
    The only part of it that doesn't sit well with me, personally, is that Draigo tagged Mortarion's heart. Burning Nurgles jungle, though? Or knocking down some buildings in the Impossible City? Sure, why not? Everything just resets itself after he's left, and the daemons go back about their business.

I wouldn't call it bad writing. He's done nothing to diminish the threat of Chaos. Absolutely nothing. The only time he ever does any legitimate good for the Imperium is when he slips back out into the material realm again...and then he's just another Space Marine hero. I think the only reason he can do any of those things in the Warp in the first place is because he's an insanely powerful psyker and he's in a realm of psychic energy and willpower to begin with. Add to his prodigious psychic ability the fact he's encased in the best armour and wards the Imperium has for its psykers, and it's easy to see how he remains free of the Warp's malign influence. Terminator armour enables Marines to teleport through the Warp in safety, remember.

In the material world, though? Powerful psyker, sure, but Draigo's not toppling buildings and torching jungles there.

Just doesn't seem like a big deal to me, or that out of place, really. Maybe I'm just more tolerant of changes to the fluff than most people.
    Last edited by Kawauso; 11-01-2011 at 05:02 PM.
    Armies Played (in order of acquisition)
    Crons, SW, SM, Tau, 1k Sons, IG, Nids, BA, DE

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Kawauso View Post
    He's done nothing to diminish the threat of Chaos. Absolutely nothing.
    I would argue against this part, specifically. He does diminish the threat of Chaos in the eyes of the reader. Sure, he doesn't do anything lasting (except maybe tagging Mortarian), but his actions manage to make Chaos seem silly and powerless in their own backyard. I mean, if one random jerk can wander around the realms of the Chaos Gods with impunity, and not even Khorne can collect his skull, it makes them all look impotent.

Nurgle can keep Isha caged, and she's literally a god. They can't stop one jerk in shiny armor? On their own turf, where they should be at the apex of their power? Sure, Draigo is a powerful Psyker, and has willpower out the wazoo, but Khorne has all of the anger and rage of nearly every sentient being in the known Galaxy, if not Universe, including Draigo himself. It cheapens everything else written about the Chaos gods to allow for something like that. It cheapens the Chaos Primarchs. It cheapens Chaos itself. Chaos as a whole looks weaker because of one page of throwaway fluff.

Librarian

Draigo sold his soul to Tzeentch for his rugged good looks and unparalleled psychic ability. Shortly after the transaction was finalized, Draigo roundhouse kicked Tzeentch in the face and took his soul back. Tzeentch, who appreciates irony, couldn't stay mad and admitted he should have seen it coming. They now play poker every second Wednesday of the month.

"I Have Become Death the Destroyer of Worlds"

I just had this image of Draigo played up Nathan Fillion when I read that, not sure why.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Darkstar View Post
    Draigo sold his soul to Tzeentch for his rugged good looks and unparalleled psychic ability.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    I just had this image of Draigo played up Nathan Fillion when I read that, not sure why.
    I guess I can see Draigo being as annoying as captain hammer

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DELA0geqPtE[/url]
    "I Have Become Death the Destroyer of Worlds"

Brother-Captain

I guess I can see Draigo being as annoying as captain hammer

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DELA0geqPtE[/url]
    LOL! I love you guys!

Librarian

Draigo sold his soul to Tzeentch for his rugged good looks and unparalleled psychic ability. Shortly after the transaction was finalized, Draigo roundhouse kicked Tzeentch in the face and took his soul back. Tzeentch, who appreciates irony, couldn't stay mad and admitted he should have seen it coming. They now play poker every second Wednesday of the month.

lol. Well played. I could accept this as a fair reason.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Fellend View Post
    Sadly as a author (or generally public people) you have to accept that people are going to hate you and write long rants about much you suck compared to their favorite author.
    Man, that is for sure. I have been on the recieving end of that crap. I only got one review on Amazon and the dude chewed me up

Librarian

Do you really live in Toad Suck? The missus is obsessed with that place.
    Touched by His Noodly Appendage

Look, let's just all agree that I have the biggest wang and forget about it

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast