BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Ward- Necrons are an 'elite shooty army' +fluff

The Necrons are up, with them are some designer notes and touches of fluff.

[url]http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=cat700019a&aId=18500101a[/url]

Three page expose on the Necrons.

The fluff has indeed changed. C'tan are now slaves to the Necrons themselves, yes, that's right, fluff rewritten.

It used to be the C'Tan controlling the Necrons. The Necrons would guard the C'Tan as they waited for the galaxy to spawn new life to harvest... Now the C'Tan are kept in handy containers for the Necrons lords to use if they wish.

100% retconnnnnn.

What does this mean? Well, now the lords themselves are free to do whatever their non-existent heart desires. Much like DE. Lords collect imperial relics, and apparently primarchs too. They extinguish systems, or subjugate the Emperor's rule and become masters of human worlds.

No more- KILL EVERYTHING. No more- DHARVEST THEIR SOULS.

[url]http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat700003a&prodId=prod1380 047a[/url] -- Nightbringer C'Tan *Shard*

I'm meh about it, as I haven't read the codex itself yet, but judging by this, the main driver of the Necron race has been replaced. Instead of being guided by C'Tan to kill everything, they have a more desperate, yet organized 'underground' sovereign empire, where lords can pretty much do as they please. Their new goal is to take control of the galaxy, finally achieving their ultimate goal.

EDIT: New link-

[url]http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/blogPost.jsp?aId=18500105a[/url] video of 360's of all the new models :3
    Last edited by _Ian; 10-28-2011 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Added a link.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by _Ian View Post
    100% ret-Kaaaaahhhhnnnnn!!!!!
    Fixed that for you.
    Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Hahaha, thank you

Chapter-Master

I don't see what the problem is.
    It makes sense. If the C'Tan were released, the galaxy would be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by _Ian View Post
    I'm meh about it, as I haven't read the codex itself yet, but judging by this, the main driver of the Necron race has been replaced. Instead of being guided by C'Tan to kill everything, they have a more desperate, yet organized 'underground' sovereign empire, where lords can pretty much do as they please. Their new goal is to take control of the galaxy, finally achieving their ultimate goal.
    I think it's an improvement. While I did like the Quatermass-like feel of first codex, the Necrons were really just another enemy wanting to kill or harvest everything - like the Tyranids. I feel they have more personality and depth now.
    Dark Eldar 4000pts, Eldar 2000pts, Dark Angels 2500pts, Tau 2000pts.

It is interesting to note that in the old codex, the C'Tan were attempting to totally block the Warp from realspace, because the Old Ones and their 'children' were using the power of the Warp to fight the Necrons and C'Tan. However, the suffering of the Old Ones minion races created the first daemons, the Enslaver plague started, then the C'Tan realised they had to kill everything to stop what was happening.

The fluff in the first link I gave mentions nothing of the minion races, or of the Warp weapons, or of the Warp turmoil. It just says, the C'Tan and Necrons joined forces, vanquished the Old Ones, and the Necrons revolted against the C'Tan. Then they took a 60 million year nap before restoring their empire.

That in-itself makes no sense. Why would they wait 60 million years when they could just take the galaxy then? I'm assuming that there is something in the new codex which was not mentioned there.

Brother-Captain

Well Necrons certainly never won in the assault phase before.

And they're not a horde army.

I don't see how classifying them as an 'elite shooty army' is in the wrong, or against precedents set in the past, really.

They shoot better than they assault. This seems to remain true of the army - albeit they have a lot more toys for both, now. Looks like the base initiative of the models in the army is 2, still...so shooting is going to remain the Necrons' forte. I'm sure their assaulty units will have their uses - Flayed Ones have a ton of attacks now, Lychguard can have S7 power weapons or a power weapon and 4++, etc...but shooting remains the phase where Necrons will likely do most of their damage.

...as they've always done.
    And while their units are loads cheaper now, from what we understand, they're still a far cry from a horde army.

So, no foul here, as far as I'm concerned. The game has room for more than 1 or 2 shooting armies.
    Armies Played (in order of acquisition)
    Crons, SW, SM, Tau, 1k Sons, IG, Nids, BA, DE

Iron Father

I have always played Necrons as shooty, especially over the last year or so I just found that lots of warriors + destroyers + monolith and Lord worked for me, the only unit I used as an assault unit was the scarabs which were great at bogging down units like devastators or with disruptor fields taking out tanks.

The new dex looks interesting and lots of fun.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Chapter-Master

so yet again 20 years of fluff has been smashed by ward's facination for goodies, baddies and one upping charecters.

FFS thor is a imperial hero he should have at least 20zillion guardsmen guarding his corpse
    primarchs can kill crons with a look so why is there a pet one.,

and i always love the images of a necron army being lots of warriors with a few 'support' units, same with the guard.

now they are Uber elite we have 1 of each and APC's

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

(now founding the I HATE ward foundation)
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Librarian

yet again 20 years of fluff has been smashed
    Terrible fluff that everyone complained about.

At length.

Replaced by a background that seems more interesting. Don't see the problem myself. All I ever heard about is how the Necron fluff was rubbish and unnecessary. Now that it's been improved I'm hearing "They Changed It Now It Sucks!" How does GW win this exactly? Oh that's right, they can't, no matter what they do. I suppose

and i always love the images of a necron army being lots of warriors with a few 'support' units, same with the guard.
    At the risk of stating the obvious, 40K doesn't belong to you. It belongs to all of us. You can still make your mono-unit build if you like. No-ones forcing you to use the shiny new toys.
    Last edited by MaltonNecromancer; 10-29-2011 at 06:06 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast