BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Battle-Brother

Default Not your usual Space Wolves (1500 pts.)

Got a list updated for my local gaming scene. Want to know what everyone thinks.

HQ
    Rune Priest
    Living Lightning/Jaws of the World Wolf/Wolf Tooth Necklace
    110 pts.

Wolf Priest
    Wolf tail talisman
    105 pts.

Elites
    Wolf Guard Pack (3)
    Wolf Guard: Power Fist (Grey Hunters Pack 1)
    Wolf Guard: Power Fist (Grey Hunters Pack 2)
    Wolf Guard: Frost Blade/Melta bombs (Blood Claws Pack)
    119 pts.

Wolf Scouts (5)
    Wolf Scout: Meltagun
    85 pts.

Troop
    Grey Hunters Pack (10)
    Grey Hunter: Wolf Standard
    Grey Hunter: Plasma Gun
    Grey Hunter: Mark of the Wulfen
    185 pts.

Grey Hunters Pack (9)
    Grey Hunter: Wolf Standard
    Grey Hunter: Meltagun
    Grey Hunter: Mark of the Wulfen
    165 pts.
    {Drop Pod}
    35 pts.
    200 pts.

Grey Hunters Pack (6)
    90 pts.
    {Razorback}
    40 pts.
    140 pts.

Blood Claws Pack (10)
    150 pts.

Heavy Support
    Long Fangs Pack (5)
    Squad Leader
    Long Fang: Missile Launcher
    Long Fang: Missile Launcher
    Long Fang: Plasma Cannon
    Long Fang: Lascannon
    140 pts.

Land Raider Redeemer
    Multi-Melta
    250 pts.

Total 1484 pts.

Brother-Sergeant

It's kinda all over the place. You've got one unit podding in, one walking, two in transports and one fire support. You're hitting your opponent piecemeal, effectively letting him deal with your units one squad at a time. In general, you want everything meched up, or everything dropping in. The key is to have your assault wave it all at once.

Also, Blood Claws are inferior assault troops to Grey Hunters. WS4 saves lives.

Battle-Brother

About the Blood Claws. I understand most people don't take them because of their stats; but I have found through play testing that with a Wolf Priest and in the Redeemer they haven't done me wrong yet and are a surprise to the enemy. On the charge getting 40 attacks, hitting most things (from the Wolf Priest's perk) on 3+ automatically against enemies of my choosing before the game (which is always infantry) they decimate. I use them almost soully for anti-infantry and they've worked.

The rest of the looks piecemeal. I understand that. But it's mainly me working up to my 2000 pt. list. I also understand that the foot slogging Grey Hunter pack probably needs a Rhino...and after a few games I'll probably end up scrounging the points for one

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Vorian View Post
    About the Blood Claws. I understand most people don't take them because of their stats; but I have found through play testing that with a Wolf Priest and in the Redeemer they haven't done me wrong yet and are a surprise to the enemy. On the charge getting 40 attacks, hitting most things (from the Wolf Priest's perk) on 3+ automatically against enemies of my choosing before the game (which is always infantry) they decimate. I use them almost soully for anti-infantry and they've worked.
    First and foremost, the whole hitting on a 3+ thing is not what Preferred Enemy does anymore (that was 4th ed) it now simply allows for re-rolling missed hits (which is actually better). That said, the Wolf Priest is highly random in that the 'Oath of War' applies only to one unit type, so unless you can dictate the charge it's effectively moot.

That said; yes, you can make a decent hammer unit with a bunch of Blood Claws in a Land Raider of some variety with a priest. However, I would argue that for the 500-600pts you spend on that unit you could EASILY get a better hammer out of Wolf Guard, Wolf Guard Terminators, Thunderwolves, etc.

Blood Claws are not bad all things considered but Grey Hunters out-do them in sheer versatility and Wolf Guard outdo them in combat (same number of attacks, WS4 and Ld9 for only +3 pts).
    See my blog @ http://perilsoftheblog.blogspot.com/