BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Thread: Necron wraiths?

Default Necron wraiths?

Well, does anyone think the new codex will include wraiths? there is nary a whisper of them on the net, GW or the White Dwarf Nov issue!

the current rumors floating around say Wraiths are still in the codex (now called Canoptek Wraiths). There are several different rumors on what has changed. Most of them do say the squad sizes is now 1-6 instead of the old 1-3. Like most of the Jetbike units from the old codex they are now supposedly Jump Infantry instead so no more turbo boosting Wraiths. While there is some discussion floating around that they are 2 wounds now Ive only seen this in a couple of posts so wont believe it till I see it. Supposedly Wraiths lost their I6 and are now I2 like the rest of the necrons but got some kind of whip that works like the Tyranid Lashwhip and makes models in base I1. Lastly they are rumored to be Rending now which makes them a much better CC unit, all of this for supposedly only 9 points more than the old ones ( so 50 points each).

Chaplain

Apparently they will be released at a later date with new minis, like Tomb Spyders. They are also rumored to have a possible pistol upgrade and the Tomb Spyder is supposed to have upgrades as well. It isn't surprising that GW and WD are only hyping what can be bought now, but rest assured they are in the codex and we'll hear about them when their minis are released.

They are also rumored to no be able to use ressurection protocols. Scarabs, Spyders, and Wraiths are classed as construct and dont get that rule says a gent with the codex in his mits.

Quote Originally Posted by Necron_Lord View Post
    Apparently they will be released at a later date with new minis, like Tomb Spyders. They are also rumored to have a possible pistol upgrade and the Tomb Spyder is supposed to have upgrades as well. It isn't surprising that GW and WD are only hyping what can be bought now, but rest assured they are in the codex and we'll hear about them when their minis are released.
    YAY!

I got three blister way back and theyre sitting in a drawer, was wondering whether I should get to work on them or not...

Brother-Captain

I think you would be much happier waiting until Wraiths get a plastic or finecast kit.

Not only will such a kit include the options Wraiths are supposed to be able to take, now (they had no options in the old codex), but the current Wraith model is a nightmare model to have done in metal. Assembling it is a pain and they fall over almost as much as Zoanthropes.
    Armies Played (in order of acquisition)
    Crons, SW, SM, Tau, 1k Sons, IG, Nids, BA, DE

I've carried 9 old Necron Wraiths in Battlefoam every week to the LGS for a year and have never had one come apart. Pick them up by the upper spine when moving them on the table - no worries about them coming apart using standard CA glue without pinning.

Important build techniqe for any model (learned from building high g-load compitition radio control aircraft):
    Before bonding ANY metal to metal or metal to plastic be sure to score the contact surfaces with an blade with a bunch of small [X] patterns before glueing - it provides 3 dimensions for adhesion, not just an easily sheared joint (common model building error). Using that techniqe with insta-set spray I built all 9 Wraiths in about 10 minutes while watching TV.

The Wraiths already have a gun with blades for one hand and blades for the other hand.

Washed and drybrushed metallic black over gunmetal grey basecoat - Platinum silver faces, gloss red eyes and silver blades covered in blood. - all $1 craft paints and homemade washes.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ T. Pratchett

I was quite pleased with the rumored Wraith stats/abilities, making them a legitimate if expensive cc unit for the Necrons, similar to Thunder Wolves.

- Str 6 Rending Attacks
    - 3++ save
    - 2 wounds

Even losing Jetbike status and getting more expensive pt wise, they were still good. But now losing RP as well. Shaking my head. GW just cant give necron players something without nerfing it as well can they?

Chaplain

heres a picture of the new wraith artwork. they are no longer necron torsos with tails but are automations similar to tomb spiders.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wraith.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	1460  
    Step forth and be recognized.
    No mercy. No pity. No hope.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Demonus View Post
    I was quite pleased with the rumored Wraith stats/abilities, making them a legitimate if expensive cc unit for the Necrons, similar to Thunder Wolves.

- Str 6 Rending Attacks
    - 3++ save
    - 2 wounds

Even losing Jetbike status and getting more expensive pt wise, they were still good. But now losing RP as well. Shaking my head. GW just cant give necron players something without nerfing it as well can they?
    I think people are too hung up on that.
    Yeah, RP would be -amazing- on them.

As it stands right now, though, they still look like a fantastic unit on paper. They're tougher than TH/SS termies in combat with units that have power weapons, etc. They don't hit as hard, but they hit more often and a cheap upgrade ensures they hit first - against almost anyone.
    Armies Played (in order of acquisition)
    Crons, SW, SM, Tau, 1k Sons, IG, Nids, BA, DE