BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Scout

Default 2k GK Mechanised List

This is an idea I have been toying with to get away from the termies that I have been using but they are just too squishy for what they cost as my primary opponents bring a ton of AP2 in anticipation of dealing with them. So just to keep them guessing I thought I might change it up a bit.

HQ
    Librarian
    Force Sword
    Mastery 3
    Might of Titan
    Quicksilver
    Vortex of Doom
    Shrouding
    Digital Weapons (I had five points left over bit me)

Coteaz

Troops
    Inq Warband 1
    4 Arco Flagellants
    4 Crusaders
    1 Warrior
    Chimera
    Heavy Bolter x2
    Psybolt Ammo

Inq Warband 2
    11 Warriors
    Chimera
    Heavy Bolter x2
    Psybolt Ammo

Strike Squad 1
    5 GK
    Swords
    Psycannon
    Psybolt Ammo
    Razorback
    TL Heavy Bolter
    Psybolt Ammo

Strike Squad 2
    5 GK
    Swords
    Psycannon
    Psybolt Ammo
    Razorback
    TL Heavy Bolter
    Psybolt Ammo

Strike Squad 3
    5 GK
    Swords
    Psycannon
    Psybolt Ammo
    Razorback
    TL Lascannon

Strike Squad 4
    5 GK
    Swords
    Psycannon
    Psybolt Ammo
    Razorback
    TL Lascannon

Heavy Support
    Dread 1
    TL Autocannon x 2
    Psybolt Ammo

Dread 2
    TL Autocannon x 2
    Psybolt Ammo

Dread 3
    TL Autocannon x 2
    Psybolt Ammo

(Cheesy I know but I need the AT)

Comes out to 1998 overall my goal was to make a more mobile and flexible force so I don't always get smashed on objective based games. Biggest problem I ran into with the Paladin list I was running was I couldn't control enough of the board to refuse my opponent more than one objective. The only reason I opted for the two warbands was to give Coteaz and the Librarian rides as that termie armor really threw a wrench in the works. I'm curious to see how it will play out and I may do a counts as match this weekend to see how it works. Let me know your thoughts and comments are always appreciated.

Chimeras cannot take psybolt ammo. (save 10 pts)

You are also wasting a hell of a lot of points on psybolt ammo for 5 men squads, who would be riding in a razorback a lot of the time. Not a good investment of points. That's 80 pts save from the GKSS psybolts alone.

I am not sold on the Arco Flagellants. I think death cult assassins would be far far better. And with the units you are taking, you really need DCA to force a hammer unit since nothing in your army is particularly good in CC.

I would also load up on meltas for your henchmen squads, as with 5 men GKSS squads and single psycannons and riding in razorbacks most of the time, your army's normal anti-armor firepower is seriously reduced.

I am not sure what the second squad of 11 naked warriors are supposed to do. Give them some special weapons or drop them. Also considering throwing in some crusaders to help keep them around longer once their transport gets popped.

Maybe you want to re-check your numbers, because your list looks extremely light on bodies for 2k considering what you are taking.

Scout

Wow you were right what a noob mistake I had two squads chilling at the bottom of the page and didn't even realize it. Well I have reduced the army to a 1500 for the time being as my local shop thinks this is the way they will be going for tourneys in the near future. So here is 2.0.

HQ
    Librarian
    Force Sword
    Mastery 3
    Might of Titan
    Quicksilver
    Vortex of Doom
    Shrouding

Coteaz

Troops
    Inq Warband 1
    5 DCA
    5 Crusaders
    Chimera
    Heavy Bolter x2

Inq Warband 2
    4 DCA
    5 Crusaders
    Chimera
    Heavy Bolter x2

Inq Warband 3
    1 Jokaero
    11 Warriors
    3x Melta
    Chimera
    Heavy Bolter x2

Strike Squad 1
    5 GK
    Swords
    Psycannon
    Razorback
    TL Heavy Bolter
    Psybolt Ammo

Strike Squad 2
    5 GK
    Swords
    Psycannon
    Razorback
    TL Lascannon

Heavy Support
    Dread 1
    TL Autocannon x 2
    Psybolt Ammo

Dread 2
    TL Autocannon x 2
    Psybolt Ammo

That lists looks much more reasonable for 1.5k. And glad to see that you are taking some of my suggestions onboard.

That looks like a very solid list, and should do fine as it is.

I only have a few minor nit picks, but these are as much about personal preference as anything else. It might work for you, it you not, so have a think and play around and see which way you prefer.

In my experience, mastery level 3 isn't necessary for a GK librarian since many of the most useful powers like shrouding, hammerhand and sanctuary are cast in the opposing player's turn, so you often don't need mastery level 3.

Also, I prefer warp rift to VoD since VoD has the risk of blowing up your own unit, and warp rift is actually more reliable as it does not scatter and auto-pens vehicles. S10 AP1 is great, but you can still fail to pen AV13 and up even if you hit. I just prefer the certain pen with WR. Being a template, you will also hit far more models with WR in most cases.

With that 50 pts saved, I would get a hammer for each of your GKSS to round them off, and also get 3 more meltas/plasmaguns for your warriors.

I would also consider mixing the henchmen up with crusaders, DCA and melta/plasma warriors in all 3 squads.

If you buy 3 more plasma guns, you can have a melta and plasma gun in each of the 3 henchmen squads, or have a mix of twin plasma and twin melta, or all metla/plasma, whatever you prefer.

This will make it much harder for your enemy to counter your units, because as things stand, you warrior squad packed with special weapons is easy meat for any CC unit, and any good opponent can easily silence your guns that way. If you mixed it up, not only will your CC squads now have a very good chance to pop a transport and kill what falls out all on their own, but there is no easy way for the enemy to take out your special weapons.

If he shoots, you got storm shields, and if he tries to CC you, your DCA and storm shields will make him sorry pretty quickly.

PS,

Just to add, why are you taking heavy bolters on your chimeras over multi-laser? Was that a hang up from when you thought chimeras can take psybolt ammo?

With all the HB razorbacks you got on top of the stormbolters, I think the extra strength from the multi-laser is much more useful than the AP4 on the HB.
    Last edited by plawolf; 11-03-2011 at 09:44 PM.

Chapter-Master

You can't fit more than 3 special weapon warriors in one squad. You can, however, take a couple of the warriors and get some melta in each of your inquisitorial henchmen squads for the same amount of points.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Scout

I see what you are getting at with mixing the warbands up a bit I think this configuration will work much better. I also think the mastery level 2 with the addition of hammers was a nice touch as it will give me a bit more hitting power with no real loss in any psychic ability.

HQ
    Librarian
    Force Sword
    Mastery 2
    Might of Titan
    Quicksilver
    Vortex of Doom
    Shrouding

Coteaz

Troops
    Inq Warband 1
    4 Crusaders