BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Iron Father

just got my pre-order today.....I am happy and for those of us who use them.....new transfer sheet as well as the old one in the boxes now
    Last edited by Deadlift; 11-04-2011 at 05:06 AM.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Sister Rosette Soulknyt View Post
    Just read my friends copy of the Codex here, have to say it's a bad day to be a SM.
    *SPOILERS*
    With lots of AP 1 or 2 weapons its really going to hurt.
    With weapons that can arc from a squad to another also bad. Special Characters are really going to be priorty targets now.
    Why, how about a wargear that makes you roll your strength save or be removed (once off).
    Or wargear that removes your armour saves now??

The Necrons really got a great upgrade with both miniatures and also codex.
    I only have one serious beef with it, Ward screwing fluff yet again with one of the Necron SC's having the skull of Sebastion Thor. Does Ward have it in for anything SoB?? Seriously how is it that some Necron has his skull when he died of old age, not war, and was buried in a wing of the Imperial Palace, second in size only to the Emporer??
    I bet he just walked in, said "excuse me, coming through, mind if i open this crypt and borrow this skull"..
    So lame....

Overall, good codex, tough, but with the ongoing power-up of current codex, no surprise on how good they got.
    5 New characters, 7 new units, all up 9 HQ choices.
    I'll just assume he has a fake and doesn't even know it.
    Back to Necrons, what's up with them no longer having faster-than-light travel? Apparently they rely on the Webway to get around...
    Good codex for the most part however. I'm glad they are now presented as an end-of-galaxy threat, but since they are only just awakening they are still vulnerable.

Im still not quite sure how you can view the nerf to the Monolith as "not that big a deal"

-It will be made useless by round 2 by any DE player with a Ravager or a couple of Raiders with Lances.
    -It will be melta'd to death by any Marine army.
    - MC will eat it for breakfast as they never need more than 4+ to hit and have 2d6 to their pen
    - Unless you play with 0 terrain, it has had its deepstrike capability reduced to almost 0. It also MUST DS if you reserve it.
    -The str of its big gun went down from 9 to 8 (why was this necessary?) AND the big gun can be destroyed i heard.
    - It lost the ability to pull troops out of combat, which is pretty much the main thing I ever used mine to do.
    - Can no longer assault out of it. Huge.

For all that nerfing, it gained:

- ability to pull any troops through, not just necrons (of course you cant assault so LG and Wraiths and Scarabs and flayed ones have little point to use this.
    - d6" sucky thing. Cool concept but I think it should have been a fixed number, 6" min, to maybe 9". its already limited by the fact it only effects things by entrance.
    - chance to resist shaken/stunned. old monolith ignored shaken results when it fired particle beam anyway
    - ability to pull models through from anywhere on board. i like this, but rarely was a unit more than 18" from monolith (unless Destroyers)

Sorry but Ill pay the extra 35 points for Immunity to Lance and no mishaps on deepstrike. I mean seriously? Friggin DROP PODS are immune to mishaps except falling off the board. And you cant tell me a Monolith (5 x cost) doesnt have better technology. So much for indestructible fortresses slowly floating across the field. Mine will make a nice piece of scenery i guess.

Librarian

I think the monolith has had a massive beating by the nerf bat, however it was a tad broken but this is too much of a swing.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Demonus View Post
    Im still not quite sure how you can view the nerf to the Monolith as "not that big a deal"

-It will be made useless by round 2 by any DE player with a Ravager or a couple of Raiders with Lances.
    -It will be melta'd to death by any Marine army.
    - MC will eat it for breakfast as they never need more than 4+ to hit and have 2d6 to their pen
    - Unless you play with 0 terrain, it has had its deepstrike capability reduced to almost 0. It also MUST DS if you reserve it.
    -The str of its big gun went down from 9 to 8 (why was this necessary?) AND the big gun can be destroyed i heard.
    - It lost the ability to pull troops out of combat, which is pretty much the main thing I ever used mine to do.
    - Can no longer assault out of it. Huge.

For all that nerfing, it gained:

- ability to pull any troops through, not just necrons (of course you cant assault so LG and Wraiths and Scarabs and flayed ones have little point to use this.
    - d6" sucky thing. Cool concept but I think it should have been a fixed number, 6" min, to maybe 9". its already limited by the fact it only effects things by entrance.
    - chance to resist shaken/stunned. old monolith ignored shaken results when it fired particle beam anyway
    - ability to pull models through from anywhere on board. i like this, but rarely was a unit more than 18" from monolith (unless Destroyers)

Sorry but Ill pay the extra 35 points for Immunity to Lance and no mishaps on deepstrike. I mean seriously? Friggin DROP PODS are immune to mishaps except falling off the board. And you cant tell me a Monolith (5 x cost) doesnt have better technology. So much for indestructible fortresses slowly floating across the field. Mine will make a nice piece of scenery i guess.
    Here's the thing with lances...
    Yes, they make it easier for armies with access to them to take on AV14.
    However, they do so by effectively making those vehicles AV12.
    What do bright/dark lances struggle the most against? Oh yeah, AV12.

All lances do is change a target like the Monolith from 'nigh impossible to shut down' to 'really friggen' hard to shut down'.

The nerf is not that bad.

Melta? If it's in melta range, it's in range of the Gate of Eternity.

Granted, I haven't gotten in any games under the new rules...
    But I don't think the changes to the Monolith are as bad as some people are saying.
    It's more vulnerable now, sure. but that's relative to before, where virtually every army in the game -had- to ignore it because it was in no way effective to try and shoot it down.

Now that Necrons have cheaper units all around, and crazy new options elsewhere, and no longer have Phase Out(!), I think it's only fair that the former unkillable super-tank is now, well, as killable as a Land Raider.
    Armies Played (in order of acquisition)
    Crons, SW, SM, Tau, 1k Sons, IG, Nids, BA, DE

Melta? If it's in melta range, it's in range of the Gate of Eternity.

Two flaws with this statement:

1. MultiMeltas
    2. Can you honestly tell me that anything shooting melta weapons at a Monlith will leave it alive to Gate of Eternity anything? The majority of melta users are BS 4 (DE, Marines, Fire Dragons, IG Vets). so there is a 66% of being hit. Once hit you need a 7 on 2d6 to pen, and then need to roll a 4+ to negate the Gate Attack (next round).

With Storm Ravens being Immune to melta, and Wave Serpents from the front arc, there was no need to remove it from Monoliths.

Chaplain

@Demonus

Yeah, Monoliths aren't as indestructible as they used to be and can be worried about melta and lance weapons now. They're still 40-50 points cheaper than a Land Raider and have Living Metal, so they aren't terrible by any stretch of the imagination. Bottom line the change has happened and you'll have to adapt.

DE players have managed to cope with 25 point Dark Lances. You'll just have to do the same.

Oh I understand about adapting. My Iron Warriors used to field four heavy weapon slots and could use basilisks =P.

My adaptation will be to use something else in the slot instead of a Monolith, which is a shame really. 1. because I actually own 2 painted Monoliths, and 2. because it was an awesome concept.

Monoliths were tough SOBs that slowly made their way across the field. Imposing. Hard to kill, but not impossible (hello 1 lascannon or basilisk shot?) They could Deep Strike in and PUSH guys out of their way with how badass they were.

Now I wont go as far as to call them the Chaos Spawn of 5th/6th Necron Codex....but damn close imho =P

Lascannons and basilisks being great answers for armies that don't have them.

It's still harder to kill than a LR, for less. The old Living Metal rule was just too punishing against some armies.

phaseout was the price necrons paid for their indestructible monolith.

I'm looking forward to get a slightly more killable monolith and have phaseout gone

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast