BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Witt;

I use the powerfist example because that's your classic high-strength character killer. The Vanilla Commander in question is not going to instant death Imotehk, but he will hit him on a three, and wound him on a two. Imotehk's save is nice but would be a saving grace for this thug-cred only if he had so much as a "rending" option with which to reply.

In all honesty, what's more likely is that the Vanilla Commander and whomever he was with would crumple Imotehk's unit (unless he sprang for Lychguard) and run the Stormlord down as his galaxy crushing logic circuits determine the best thing to do against a superior enemy with a power weapon is to turn one hundred and eighty degrees and walk slowly.

Eldargal, I suppose I misjudged your reaction. Very well then! Each to their own. Personally, I do not at all care for the Damnos webway seizure from which the Necrons launch attacks on nearby worlds. It used to be the Eldar's hidehole, and was en-coolened by the presence of the Dark Kin. Ahriman scratching at the walls made me nervous, but I appreciated his gusto.

Then all of a sudden Necrons are in, staring into my baffled, pointy eared face with their blank robo stare as if to say "oh, didn't you know? We're Older, Better at Tech, and Superior at Predicting things than you. Also, we figured we'd crash on your webway couch for a few nights. Thanks bro."

But I suppose I may simply be hatin'. There's less "Boo Eldar" in this Necron Codex than the Last. And I death or gloried a Monolith for the first time in that inaugural match, so I can't be too mad.
    Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers - all of which are true and terrifying to know.

Quote Originally Posted by wittdooley View Post
    Don't know where you got the impression Zahndrekh carries a warscythe.
    Grasping at straws huh?

Page 21, last paragraph, "...Zahndrek raised his warscythe in salute to the doomed foe."

Why don't you check your baditude and read the book.

Well I can appreciate your feelings on it, but I felt their rarity, unreliability and time-sensitive nature diminished their threat to the webway, while the concept of the webway actively sealing itself against such threats was fascinating. A few Necron Phaerons having unreliable, limited access to a limited portion of the Webway doesn't really diminish it for me.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by DrWobbles View Post
    Grasping at straws huh?

Page 21, last paragraph, "...Zahndrek raised his warscythe in salute to the doomed foe."

Why don't you check your baditude and read the book.
    Silly me, I figured you'd be looking at his ACTUAL CODEX ENTRY than a single sentence in one of the stories contained within. The fluff adds up plenty. Oh, he's actually going into battle--which he normally doesnt do. Let's take a warscythe instead. Simple. Jesus.

People really like to cling to single sentences, That's all the "Ward-haters" seem to be able to do.

@Free -- Fair point. I don't think he's a CC monster or anything, but for 225 I think he's very worth his points. I simply think Wobbles ascertation that he isn't that great is foolish. Rerolls, Reanimation, Phylactery, and 3++ mean you're quite above average in CC.

www.queencityguard.com

Chaplain

In games I like to feel I have some pretty kunnin tactics when I paly with my marines and orks. However, when playing with orks I do sometimes stuff in the tactics because other things seem more fun and more orky to do. If someone was expecting my clever tactics they could easily foil me but the- "it would make sense to stay out of combat and shoot" dilemma gets to me alot when i see Orks as needing combat.

In the old dex did the old ones not create the kork to defeat the necrontyr and/or C'tan though? Is this a half-thought out way of keeping that on?

I can imagine a Necron Overlord looking at a map and finding the strategically best places Orks could have an encampment or have fortified, only for them to turn up to discover the orks are over there camped around that big rock that looks a bit like a skull. Or sending in units to assault Flash Gitz because they are a shooty unit only to discover that actually, they are better at combat.

Maybe it would be logical for the orks to wait for re-enforcement's that are on route. However orks dont have to much patience and catch the necrons unprepared. Maybe they had sent the bulk of there force out to massacre the ork re-enforcements and the orks got bored of waiting and hit the tombs and the centre of the necron power?

Im guessing it means that Imotekh doesnt understand psychology. Battle tactics need hard discipline and logical rules to pull off. Most races use their intellect to make war effectively, but not orks. Maybe he can only ever read about emotions, instincts, fear, love, addictions, and never quite understand them. Maybe he cant understand that what drives orks is fighting (anyone including each other), owning stuff (any stuff useless or useful) and being competitive rather than a more logical things like the accumulation of information, resources, and advancement in the galaxy. An Ork Warlord might burn one world, enslave another and fortify another based on his mood rather than which would be best for which and probably destroy more tactical assets from his choices than he gleans.

Quote Originally Posted by wittdooley View Post
    Silly me, I figured you'd be looking at his ACTUAL CODEX ENTRY
    We are talking about fluff right? I have no problem with the rules of the codex.

Look, when i'm reading a story and come across a line like, "...the Tomb Blades lanced forward, their tesla cannons sending great bolts of eldritch lightning arcing through the ranks..." (pg. 63) I get excited thinking tomb blades can take tesla cannons. but, no. they're equipped with tesla carbines.

Then I'm reading about Zahndrekh, "He disdains the use of Deathmarks..." (pg. 60) because it is dishonorable using those tactics. But then he has a special rule, Phased Reinforcements, that lets other units utilize those exact same tactics that he eschews.

Yes, Imotekh is worth his points. no one is arguing that issue. His background story claims he's never been defeated in close combat. But when a standard Necron Overlord can be upgraded to a far superior close combat monster, it doesn't make sense in my brain. It doesn't add up.

I like the overall direction they went with the background but i think Ward missed the mark. If you were to read the entire book perhaps you would feel the same way.
    Last edited by DrWobbles; 11-09-2011 at 05:53 AM.

Brother-Captain

To be fair, Ward isn't the only guy to write backstory where a Farseer apparently forgets that he can see the future. As Eldargal said though, it doesn't make it any less annoying. Farseers aren't reckless and hasty at all, they'll sit in one place for immense lengths of time, often never being seen by other Eldar for ages, just considering a few courses of action. The fact that he rushed into it (not to mention the Monolith thing) was completely against the very purpose of a Farseer's existence. That's a Dracon's mistake, not a Farseer's.

Also, apparently the 'Dolmen gates' were opened by a C'tan.
    ...a C'tan... whose very species find the warp to be a deadly anathema.
    Also the brief box-out about supposed 'planetary null fields' which stop psychic powers. The entire point in the war was that Necrons and C'tan, despite their immense technology/power respectively, couldn't deal with warp-power, and yet apparently they have planet-sized anti-psyker shields. Derp.

Apart from most of the stuff which involves the Eldar (Bizzarely), the fluff is actually pretty good considering his previous abominations. I don't like how the Crypteks apparently have the ability to see into the future by looking at the stars, it seems far too 'superstitious tribal shaman' for the Necrons, and sort of encroaches on Farseer territory, but as I said, other than these things it's good stuff. Here's hoping Mr. Ward continues in this direction.

Veteran-Sergeant

...a C'tan... whose very species find the warp to be a deadly anathema.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

(not just you, Anggul, but everyone else who seizes the word "anathema" as the reason why C'Tan and Necrons can never have anything whatsoever to do with the Warp... )

I figured the Ork thing was a possible faint throwback to the idea that the (Kr)Orks were one of the last creations of the Old Ones to fight the Necrons. That it's just some innate element about Orks that make them troublesome for Necrons to predict (which a computer mind would probably label "illogic").

Nothing really to back it up. It just came to mind and seemed to feel right with the existing fluff.
    Exitus Acta Probat
    http://thegrimcheapness.blogspot.com/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123