BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I hear you, RWS, and that's a fair enough thought; I still feel it's insufficient. Instinct -is- a kind of logic; moreso in the ork's case than anyone elses. There's no reason that it should be harder to predict that an Eldar Autarch will say "We must destroy the human forge world of Clavian 9. With it, their arms supply will dry up - and with it, their river of success."... than to predict Warboss Necksnappa should say "We's goin' to the humie mech world down there to take all them gunz an' gubbinz and wotnotz'!"

In order for Imotehk's "illogical foe" hypothesis to be valid, an ork WAAAUGH! would be just as likely to plow into an isolates shine-moon staffed by two priests and nine gilt servitor-slaves as they would into its neighbour, the forge world previously mentioned.

To be frank, Orks are pictured primarily as making up for their intellectual deficiencies with numbers and enthusiasm, but never as a random, illogical force in the universe. I call bull.

Additional, the Stormlord is portrayed both as a Strategic genius in the macro-scale and a small engagement paragon. The fluff story listed for him is a step-by-step dismantling of his foes in individual engagements, particularly of the farseer I've previously ragged on.
    Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers - all of which are true and terrifying to know.

Chapter-Master

Just wanted to point out that this has turned into a discussion on how much the Orks use logic and critical reasoning. Just saying.

www.queencityguard.com

Indeed. That was the core of my original post!
    Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers - all of which are true and terrifying to know.

Chapter-Master

Maybe its more technical than that. The Necs are machines now...and if theres one thing that computers can't predict at all well its Chaos. Not as in blood-for-the-blood-god Chaos but butterfly-flaps-its-wing-causes-hurricane chaos. With Orks as unpredictable and frankly insane as they are its hard for a digtial system to analyse all the data
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

That's just my point. It's -not- chaos, it's just -raw-. Orks are techno-barbarians in space, but typically - and by that I mean as typically as any other force, at least - they make predictable strategic decisions. Seize the enemy's supply world to bolster your own army. Annihilate the enemy vanguard to terrify the rest of the enemy army. Throw stikkbombs to suppress then charge in the aftermath. These are things we can rightfully expect orks to do!

Does anyone really think that if you slap an ork boy in the face, he'll say "herp derp" and bonk himself on the head with his choppa? Of course not. There is one response to this. He will cut you in half. Ork tactics are not random, they are just simpler, which should make them easier to predict.

Any attempt to hang this on being a machine glitch or a limitation of necron hardware supposes lore we are not given, at which point we might also suspect he is under a voodoo curse or secretly likes orks and wants them to win. We are supposing things - but we do so in our own attempt to rationalize shortcomings in the lore. And that's all this thread was about - trying to suggest and defend (and I think I've been successful) that it is an amusing, if small, deficiency in the lore.

Well, at least they're not drenching themselves in the holy blood of Sororitas.

After reading the codex i have to agree with all the ward haters. Although he writes the rules well enough he really should stay away from the background.

First of all, a lot of fluff does not correlate well with the game itself. for instance, Imotekh is supposed to be this bad *** in close combat, never losing a challenge, ***** slapping Helbrecht, yet he just isn't that great in game. he doesn't even carry a power weapon. Again with Nemesor Zahndrekh, fluff describes him carrying a warscythe yet he's listed with a staff of light. The fluff doesn't add up.

My biggest irritation is how ward turned these hateful machines into arrogant, pompous, snobs. The description of necron society makes me groan. Its like he's describing the pricks at a country club.

sigh...

Chapter-Master

Let me fix this for you:

Quote Originally Posted by DrWobbles View Post
    My biggest irritation is how ward turned these dull flavorless machines into an army with some actualized, interesting background fluff
    Yes, Imotekh isn't that badass, with his 2=/3++, ability to revive himself with additional wounds, his CC attacks that reroll both to hit and to wound, and his JoWW-esque, Str6 AP1 weapon. Oh wait, he's also Str5 T 5. Sorry P-Fists... But you're right, he is kind of a chump.

Don't know where you got the impression Zahndrekh carries a warscythe. The blurb on him says explicitly that he "seldom lowers himself to personal combat." Further, the picture shows him pretty clearly carrying a staff.

Keep grasping at straws. This is a really solid codex.

www.queencityguard.com

Imotehk's pretty hardcore on the tabletop but he can't compete with your run-of-the-mill iron-halo force commander who will power fist him into the dirt until he stays there. That said, if Matt Ward WANTED him to be a brutal close combat thug they'd have to pay more than the two hundred and change points that players do for him.

In game rules terms, he's solid gold. Seize the initiative on a 4+ (against everyone who isn't orks) and his Night-Fight storm, coupled with the Necron's standard 24 inch engagement range, are significant enough to make eyes pop. He can tear up plenty of characters, but we can't -all- be Lord Draigo now, can we?

Chapter-Master

Is he that afraid of PFists?

1. Hes T5, so they won't insta-gib him.
    2. He's I2, so he's attacking before them
    3. He has a 3++

I just don't see him being super afraid of PFists... To be fair, I'm hardly the preeminent 40k tactician...

Plus, like you said, he's kinda cheap. All our marinie weenies with stat lines similar to him (aside from Lysander) typically clock in at 275 points...

Not to mention Necrons have access to that BA command barge...

www.queencityguard.com

Having read the fluff I think even the Eldar thing is handled well. Farseer Whatsisname didn't just rish blindly into danger, he overlooked signs of ambush in the runes through his arrogance. Perfectly understandable, Eldar are arrogant.

I don't mind the Dolmen Gates either. Rare, unstable, unreliable portals into the webway against which the webway actually seems to seal itself against given time? That is just nifty and more than tolerable for the litlte insight into the webway.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast