BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default General Tactics for this particular list of IG

Please could you people suggest to me some general tactical/stratagy ideas for the following 1500 IG list, when facing all sorts of unknown opponants (that will defo include lots of space marines)

[please note the list wont be changing, as these are the models I have ]

1x primaris psyker joining
    1x vetrans squad with a vox and 2x meltaguns
    in 1x valkyrie with multilaser and missle pods

1x infantry platoon consisiting of
    1x platoon command squad with
    officer w/ power fist, vox, medic, 2x grenade launchers and commisar w/ power fist
    in a valkyrie* with a lascannon and heavy bolters (and hellstrikes)

1x squad with vox, melta and commisar w/ power sword and plasma pistol
    in a valkyrie* with a lascannon and heavy bolters (and hellstrikes)

1x primaris psyker joining
    1x squad with vox, melta and commisar w/ power sword and plasma pistol
    in a valkyrie with a heavy bolters (and hellstrikes)

* valkyries in a squadron

and finally

2x Squads of 10 Storm troopers... each squad 1x grenade launcher, 1x flamer and sarg has a power sword

Key things I am wondering:

I am thinking the best use of the valkyries is to play "fly away from the nasty power armour whist shooting them" then drop the squads on objectives as late in the game as possible... but is this a good idea

WHat is the best way to use the storm troopers?
    My heart says "DEEP STRIKE" but my head says "infiltrate use them to harrass"... or any other ideas?

Brother-Captain

Your "Flying Circus" idea seems like it could work, but for one problem: when a Valkyrie shoots, it becomes vulnerable. If they zip about the table, going flat-out the whole game, they're not likely to get shot down, but if they do that, they can't slow down to shoot. A Valk will slow down, shoot, kill a tank, then get shot down on your opponent's turn. How do you plan to protect them?

Listen to your head with the Storm Troopers. Infiltrate or Outflank, keeping both squads together, to give the Marines something else to shoot at besides your Valks.

Keeping the valkyries protected is one of the things I need help with, as I can't think of a good way to do it :-)

I think your point on the storm troopers is definatly the way forward

Unfortunately you also need the valkyries to try and hurt vehicles......and they suck at it honestly.....so you're in a bit of a catch 22 there.

Sure you cant convert the Valkyries over to vendettas. Or conver/proxy meltagunners for the stormtroopers?

Brother-Captain

Nungunz is right. Valkyries suck at killing things. Yes, they have lots of nifty weapon options, but ultimately they're designed as trasports, not gunships. They drop off a squad, and the squad does the damage. Then, the Valk zips around and harasses the enemy until it gets shot down.

This list suffers from a lack of proper support. It's basically a bunch of light infantry and their light transports. It something that can take a beating and provide heavy, long range fire support. Whether you do that with tanks or large Infantry Platoons with lots of heavy weapons is up to you. Both are viable options.

Scout

change one of the valkryies to a vendetta and use it as bait, while keeping your stormtroopers inside it and using their special rule to reroll deepstrikes to jump out and kill a squad, then the survivors can jump back in and repeat.